22 Mag for Squirrel Hunting?

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I like squirrel hunting and have been looking at getting a new CZ 557 in 22 mag for squirrel hunting. I have plenty of 22lr rifles and have harvested plenty using the 22lr, but the 22 mag has me interested and I want to know if anyone uses one for squirrel hunting and how the results have been? Also, if so, what ammo do you use or recommend. I have a 17hmr, and the squirrels always blow to bits if i hit them in the body, was hoping to avoid that with the 22 mag.

Regards,

Steve

Iowaboy1

Steve, I hunt them with a Marlin 25 Mn in 22 mag scoped with a 9 power scope, head shots only and you save every bit of meat, that 22 mag has some range to it and I have no fear of taking hundred yard plus shots with it.
    Now, that said, if you are like my grandpa you gut shot them as he liked fried squirrel brains, YUCK!!

We have to get together sometime if you are not too far from the Grinnell area.

isu22andy

If you shoot anywhere but the head you’ll have the same results as the .17 hmr . Speed makes big splash .

glenn57
    cold spring mn

when i do get a chance to squirrel i use a browning 22 lever action with long rifle….works for me.

i never see the advantage of using a mag or hollow points like some do????

but thats just me!!!!!111

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Reminds me of this absurd Fur Fish Game reader-write-in from a recent article. Gotta be a hungry fella to chow on some squirrel brain

Attachments:
    1. 42325FAB-4FA1-42AD-8AD5-8F0A22EDCDFC.png

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If you shoot anywhere but the head you’ll have the same results as the .17 hmr . Speed makes big splash .

Ditto ^^^^^^^

Plus, I think you will find .22MAG ammo to be a lot more expensive to shoot.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Kind of late to the party here but my experience supports staying with a 22LR. Being able to extend the range is not enough reason to up the power, because you’re still going to get close shots. There’s plenty of power in any 22LR offering. To boost up is just unnecessary.

That being said, I have 17HMR, 17WSM, and 22WMR rifles. If you’re interested in getting one, get one! They are great for longer distance plinking challenges and enough to open up prairie dog opportunities. They’re powerful enough to shoot numerous other varmints and pests, anything the size of a deer and smaller.

Don’t shoot the deer! Just using their size for comparison. Some states do not restrict rimfires for deer hunting and I have a relative in MT that took down a Muley with a 60yd, 30gr. 22WMR neck shot! Had to finish it with a blow to the head, but these magnums are capable of SO much more than handling squirrel duties.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Kind of late to the party here but my experience supports staying with a 22LR. Being able to extend the range is not enough reason to up the power, because you’re still going to get close shots. There’s plenty of power in any 22LR offering. To boost up is just unnecessary.

That being said, I have 17HMR, 17WSM, and 22WMR rifles. If you’re interested in getting one, get one! They are great for longer distance plinking challenges and enough to open up prairie dog opportunities. They’re powerful enough to shoot numerous other varmints and pests, anything the size of a deer and smaller.

Don’t shoot the deer! Just using their size for comparison. Some states do not restrict rimfires for deer hunting and I have a relative in MT that took down a Muley with a 60yd, 30gr. 22WMR neck shot! Had to finish it with a blow to the head, but these magnums are capable of SO much more than handling squirrel duties.

Thanks for the feedback! I have a 17HMR and when I squirrel hunted with that once, it was taking the front half of squirrels right off, so i wanted a round that wasn’t so explosive on impact, which got me thinking 22wmr. I was also thinking of using it for fox hunting, as they are a fairly delicate little varmint. I might get one still, cuz one more iron in the safe is never bad, but probably stick to the 22lr for squirrel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.