2024 Mn fishing opener…..

• big_g
    Isle, MN

Fishing opener…Zero to do about politics… huh.. just like Mille Lacs coffee

As far the DNR teaching about the ecology of a lake, maybe they can explain no ice fishing pressure this year on Mille Lacs and why after decades of their “management” the harvest of walleye is 0 per person. If they can explain that in 5th Grade terms, I am all ears.

jimmysiewert

Fishing opener…Zero to do about politics… huh.. just like Mille Lacs coffee

As far the DNR teaching about the ecology of a lake, maybe they can explain no ice fishing pressure this year on Mille Lacs and why after decades of their “management” the harvest of walleye is 0 per person.

All I hear you do is complain about anything and everything. What are your solutions to bridge your discontent?

CaptainMusky

What are your solutions to bridge your discontent?

Not to speak for Big_g because he does a fine job of that himself, but how about starting with some transparency with how they arrive at such decisions?

Krh129

Thanks for your efforts, I’ve guided for 2 Governors Fishing Openers both were a lot of fn to attend and have seen first hand the hard work members of the host community do to show off their area.

You were correct to call out the comments and the authors. They can do better I’ve seen it.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Back on track here…….
    Lake Superior.
    St Louis river will be pretty crazy so I’ll stay out on the lake for hopefully early season shallow water trout and salmon.
    Can always give the harbor a few trolling passes on the way in to try and pick off an eye or two.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m with Jimmy. I am not a Walz guy either but the Governors MN Fishing Opener is a long time tradition. If you don’t like it, cool. If you don’t like it because you don’t like the current party in office, cool.

I’d hate to see it go to the way side just because someone was butt hurt about a politician going fishing. It could be a lot worse. At least he promotes fishing and hunting in our state.

Damned be the day I asked someone in my boat what political affiliation they were. I worry about fishing when I’m in my boat.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The solution is to be transparent about why the walleye limit is zero on Mille Lacs…. after a non-existent ice fishing season in 2023-2024. Was that not clear in my comment above ? That would go a long ways in satisfying my curiosity on why the resorts and tourism will be suffering through a dismal opener and summer after one of the most dismal winter seasons in my memory, but hey, at least Lake City is making some $$$.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The Governors Opener has ZERO to do about politics it would actually make you ponder your own demeanor.

Let’s just rip

This Governor has made the Governor’s Fishing opener political in many ways, feel free to go back and look. No one is ripping on Lake City or the, hopefully, awesome community spirit associated with and raised by the events around this fishing opener.

But to expect no pushback on Tyrant Timmy, who while we speak, leads the party that has kept Mille Lacs basically closed for harvest for a decade, is in process of trying to give away 300k acres of public land, and give away and close access to Upper Red Lake for all residents of MN, he can take a long walk on a short dock. And that is probably too kind towards him imo.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

But to expect no pushback on Tyrant Timmy, who while we speak, leads the party that has kept Mille Lacs basically closed for harvest for a decade, is in process of trying to give away 300k acres of public land, and give away and close access to Upper Red Lake for all residents of MN, he can take a long walk on a short dock. And that is probably too kind towards him imo.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Walz moon

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’m with Jimmy. I am not a Walz guy either but the Governors MN Fishing Opener is a long time tradition. If you don’t like it, cool. If you don’t like it because you don’t like the current party in office, cool.

I’d hate to see it go to the way side just because someone was butt hurt about a politician going fishing. It could be a lot worse. At least he promotes fishing and hunting in our state.

Damned be the day I asked someone in my boat what political affiliation they were. I worry about fishing when I’m in my boat.

Gim……i do generally agree with your statements here…..but tell me why he has cancelled some of the openers….no other Governors to my recollection ever did. Even to the point where the MDHA wont support his openers!!!

i do agree with what the others are saying ALOT about the putz. but geez this want meant to go all political…… doah but i did it too!!!!! coffee whistling rotflol

Ripjiggen

A post about where people are headed for the fishing opener and there is more political post about the opener instead of answers.
    This site is getting so sad.

Mille Lacs then Leech. Carry on with the dumb political banter.

jimmysiewert

My MN Opener is on Lake Pepin and looking forward to teaching and sharing great memories with a guest.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I hope this isn’t too political but my kid has a hockey tournament and my lower unit is in the shop. Odds of wetting a line that weekend are somewhat slim.

Carry on though. I don’t mind hearing more about rocks and cows especially if there’s agates in there somewhere.

stout93
    Becker MN

Booze it up on Friday night as usual. Sleep in a bit on Saturday, maybe hit the water by 10am or so.

Don’t get the midnight thing??….I’d be wrecked for the rest of the weekend..

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Booze it up on Friday night as usual. Sleep in a bit on Saturday, maybe hit the water by 10am or so.

I only need a nap to recoup so it’s a no Brainer, I operate all times of the day and night so fishing at midnight with no crowd and being done by the time the crowd shows up is perfect. Then go nap for 2 hours and go back out for the evening

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Its easier when you cut the boozing toast

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Lake City is a beautiful community that’s got motivated people who invest in their schools, riverfront, downtown, etc. I’m in no way discounting that. I’m sure their opener will be organized and a site to see for many, just not me.

Full disclosure: It wouldn’t matter who the governor is/was, I go fishing now to get away from people not be around more. That’s just a personal preference thing. So back to the original question, I’ll be on Pool 5 for a bit in the morning, then probably planting trees and tending to field roads.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Its easier when you cut the boozing

Yes sir makes life much easier

deertracker

Minnewaska, Reno or Mille Lacs. I’ll see what the weather is and make a game time decision.
    DT

Brian Bezanson

I live on Mille Lacs and as a kid I would be standing on the end of the dock throwing a Lazy Ike at……earlier than legal but I was 11. Morning I’d pile into the F7 Alumacraft, fire up the 10hp Evinrude and head out to rock piles.
    As cold as it is forecast I might get my dock in before May 11.
    Just not as anxious as before.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

My usual Mille Lacs from shore at midnight. Then hit the Grumpy Old Man Hole, and say hello to the usual crew. May or may not take the boat out after that depending on the weather.

Mike J
    Wright County

Might fish the Mississippi River opening weekend around Elk River here. Heading north the Wednesday after opener. Either Outing MN or Lake Vermillion, haven’t decided yet.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Its easier when you cut the boozing toast
    [/quote]

shock What?
    Bite your tongue Mister! rotflol

Michael Best

I am leaning towards leech this year. Maybe fish OT on Sunday.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

EPG rotflol rotflol nuttin wrong with having a few waytogo waytogo

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

St. Cloud area. Not sure morning plan yet, maybe river. Hit up Rice in evening.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

St. Cloud area. Not sure morning plan yet, maybe river. Hit up Rice in evening.

when my inlaws had the place on rice….we did better fishing crappies then walleyes….

Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

Even though it’s generally a poor opening lake, probably hit Miltona with my grandson in honor of all the openers there with my dad, then fish around home (Brainerd area) after the weekend crowds thin out.

stout93
    Becker MN

Its easier when you cut the boozing

Yes sir makes life much easier

Never

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.