2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

The Athletic did their Awards Watch article today. These lists are 100% analytics and based solely on the numbers. I’m pretty sure there’s going to be some new analytics fans in Minnesota

Faber’s analytics gap got even wider after his 2 point +1 game yesterday…Marco probably shot up quite a bit as well…

at some point they will move Faber to the #2 PP Unit and he’ll get more point opportunities, I’m actually surprised he still only has 1 goal with all of the rush chances he’s had…I still don’t beleive I’ve seem him take a slapshot or a 1 timer yet though, he’ll need those on the PP?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Charlie Stramel not even invited to the USA WJC tryout camp…not great…

CaptainMusky

Dont forget Boldy was dumped from the team once as well. Look what happened after. Stramel has been hurt for much of the beginning of the season so I dont see this as a surprise.

tswoboda

I still don’t beleive I’ve seem him take a slapshot or a 1 timer yet though, he’ll need those on the PP?

Spurgeon has 3 shot attempts and 1 shot on goal in almost 30 minutes of PP time. Brodin has 4 shots. Addison had 24 attempts and 8 on net in about 45 minutes but he’s gone. The bar isn’t set real high for a PP QB on this team, Faber should get a shot just by process of elimination.

CaptainMusky

The IIHF will mandate the use of neck guards during all international competition moving forward.

I think that is a good move. The NHL will likely do this too, but will do like the half shield visors and grandfather it in only for younger players is my guess.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Dont forget Boldy was dumped from the team once as well. Look what happened after. Stramel has been hurt for much of the beginning of the season so I dont see this as a surprise.

Boldy missed out his 18 year old year, but made it his 19 year…Stramel made it last year, but missed out this his 19 year old final year…He’s been healthy the last month and only has 1 goal in 11 games this season… look, Team USA also didn’t take Cole Eiserman who’s the likely #2 pick this draft, so they are picky… but it has to be concerning that Charlie isn’t taking off like Judd and everyone predicted…I still understand the pick (Huge Center who plays physical and can skate) but this year sofar has to be huge dissapointment for the Wild…He’s also a sophomore, so without taking a huge gamble and letting him play his Senior year and thus allowing him to become a UFA, the Wild will need to sign him next season. It’s also tough to see those players picked after him having such huge seasons (mainly Gabe Perrault, who’s invited to the USA camp)

In Judd we trust I guess…maybe he’ll turn into a Joel Otto…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    I still don’t beleive I’ve seem him take a slapshot or a 1 timer yet though, he’ll need those on the PP?

Spurgeon has 3 shot attempts and 1 shot on goal in almost 30 minutes of PP time. Brodin has 4 shots. Addison had 24 attempts and 8 on net in about 45 minutes but he’s gone. The bar isn’t set real high for a PP QB on this team, Faber should get a shot just by process of elimination.

I agree with you and you kind of proved my point, if we’re to have a truly successful PP QB, he’ll need to shoot to keep the PK honest…The kid has excelled at everything they’ve thrown at him, why not at least give him the 20-30 seconds of PP2 time?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Do I need to go get EPG and find where our chairs for the parade went? Or still #toosoon?

tswoboda

There’s always room on the bandwagon, we’ll find you some extra chairs when you’re ready.

I agree with you and you kind of proved my point

This is really my sole purpose on IDO jester
    I thought it was wild that Middleton said Faber has never ran a powerplay at any level. How was he not at least getting the PP2 time with the Gophers or at the program?

CaptainMusky

The gophers had other D men that were far more offensive minded than he was. He really didnt develop his more offensive skill until last year. He has always been an excellent skater, but lacked puck movement, etc.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

How long until it’s full cages? Where does it end???

JoeMX1825
    MN

I kinda think Brock was type cast at the NTDP as “The Defending Defenseman” and just accepted that until somebody (Motsko/Olympic Team Coaches/?) told him to break out of that mold and use his skating skill to his advantage on offense…the Wild probably saw that on film or in practice and told him to push his offensive comfort zone even more and he’s taking off this season…You can see it in his game where he’ll do everything elite on the rush except finish…and that will just take practice and experience (I doubt he’s ever seriously worked on his finishing skills… He’s kind of like an offensive unpolished diamond at this point…it’s kinda cool to see him start to get some national recognition, let’s just hope he explodes AFTER he’s extended 8 years….

Do you think the Kings have any buyers remorse now in that they didn’t offer one of their many touted Center prospects we likely would have jumped on (Turcotte or Pinelli) that they have way more of than they could ever play…After the elite Brandt Clarke their D prospect pool is weak…Doughty is getting old and slow, Mikey Anderson is just average, Gavrikov was an overpay…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I remember when he was drafted some of the scouts said he had plenty of offensive ability, just hadn’t shown it yet. Some even mentioned they thought he would grow into a more offensive role. Probably didn’t expect it this quickly but I don’t think it was ever out of the question.

jack klusa

id love to take this opprotunity to again hate on darcy kuemper. pulled after 3 goals on 5 shots.

But are the yotes looking kinda nice or what?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Salary Cap looks like it will be raised by $4.2 million next season to $87.7 million. That should help us out a bit in the final pain year…

Tom schmitt

They asked Faber on wild on 7th about his confidence in jumping into the offensive zone, and he said he felt the pro game was so much easier because he didn’t feel he needed to worry about someone taking his D spot.
    Evidently he never had the trust factor that his teammates would cover for him.

Ripjiggen

I think that is a good move. The NHL will likely do this too, but will do like the half shield visors and grandfather it in only for younger players is my guess.

I am willing to bet not until the CBA is up.

tswoboda

I think at some point, many years from now, full bubble or bird cage will be required in the NHL.

Think of it as someone being introduced to hockey for the first time… So every single player has missing teeth? And they draw blood so often that there’s actually a rule where it counts for two penalties? And this is all because they wear a half shield? Even though they all wore a full shield the first 18 years of their life?

The neck guards I’ve been seeing in the IIHF articles look a lot like the ones I remember from years ago. Just a thin piece of fabric to meet a requirement rather than actually provide any cut protection.

Tom schmitt

I think at some point, many years from now, full bubble or bird cage will be required in the NHL.

Think of it as someone being introduced to hockey for the first time… So every single player has missing teeth? And they draw blood so often that there’s actually a rule where it counts for two penalties? And this is all because they wear a half shield? Even though they all wore a full shield the first 18 years of their life?

The neck guards I’ve been seeing in the IIHF articles look a lot like the ones I remember from years ago. Just a thin piece of fabric to meet a requirement rather than actually provide any cut protection.
    The new fabrics are much better now. No need to go full on chain male

tswoboda

Yeah good point I think what caught my eye was all the unprotected space above and below them. By thin I meant they’re not very tall, picture a dog collar. Pretty sure the picture I’m thinking of was of Cooley wearing one

Tom schmitt

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom schmitt wrote:</div>

Yeah good point I think what caught my eye was all the unprotected space above and below them. By thin I meant they’re not very tall, picture a dog collar. Pretty sure the picture I’m thinking of was of Cooley wearing one

Good point about being thin like dog collar.
    I suppose it’s a balancing act of how far to go for protection and comfort/overheating.

CaptainMusky

The neck protection made by Warroad is essentially an undershirt. The type of fabric is so thin it really is ridiculous not to wear it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The neck protection made by Warroad is essentially an undershirt. The type of fabric is so thin it really is ridiculous not to wear it.

The biggest argument from the NHL players is that it adds a layer that increases the heat under their equipment, fine for most youth and amatuer rinks that are freezing cold, but likely a legit issue in the warm professional rinks…The one my son currently wears is a full anti-sweat undershirt with a super thin neck guard (Kevlar strip sewn inside of it) it doesn’t bother him at all…I just got him the new Duzter protection under shirt that looks a bit more substantial with both Neck and Wrist/Forearm anti-cut material, we’ll see how that goes…I agree the plain neck strip guard looks like the minimalist option (I guess its better than nothing) but it would personally drive me nuts wearing it on the ice…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya I think this is the solution to the neck guard situation. I’ve never worn one myself but I have to imagine wearing a dry-fit shirt with a “turtleneck” type neck guard attached right to it is better than the old school ones that are completely separate. I remember wearing the old itech one in youth hockey at times and I hated it.

Has anyone here actually worn the undershirt turtleneck style ones? I think the sleeves have protection around the wrists too as there often seems to be a gap by the gloves/elbow guard.

CaptainMusky

Joe, aside from Middleton I bet nearly every single other player on the team wears an undershirt. Its no different than those thin fishing shirts we all wear in the summer its cool and pulls heat away actually.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Joe, aside from Middleton I bet nearly every single other player on the team wears an undershirt. Its no different than those thin fishing shirts we all wear in the summer its cool and pulls heat away actually.

The number of players who wear no shirt uderneath is alot more common than just Middleton, but I agree, most players wear the gray super tight Bauer/CCM compression shirt, just saying most of the NHL player interviews I’ve seen since the incident have all said that’s why they don’t wear one (Oshie himself said that’s why he never wore one until now)

JoeMX1825
    MN

Has anyone here actually worn the undershirt turtleneck style ones? I think the sleeves have protection around the wrists too as there often seems to be a gap by the gloves/elbow guard.

I always wore an undershirt mostly to stop rub marks from elbow pad straps. I do have one of the newer designs with the turtleneck guard and maybe it’s just a sizing issue, but even the slightest tightness/restriction on the throat area bothered me enough to switch back to my plain long-sleeve undershirt…my sons fits him alot looser, so maybe mine was the wrong neck size?

The forearm/wrist protection is another design option, it adds a bit of bulk though…my 7 year old will wear the undershirt that protects both Neck and Arms/wrists moving forward, he’ll just get used to it as he grows up…

tswoboda

Joe, aside from Middleton I bet nearly every single other player on the team wears an undershirt.

The team motto is ‘Tarps Off’ jester

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Think of it as someone being introduced to hockey for the first time… So every single player has missing teeth? And they draw blood so often that there’s actually a rule where it counts for two penalties…

Completely agree. For player safety and the reputation of the sport, full face protection and cut guards need to happen and I think they will.

Youth football participation has been impacted by the beginning of understanding the real toll TBIs are taking. Having even 1 incident like the Johnson incident at a youth level opens up associations and orgs to som ugly questions about why didn’t they move faster to require cut protection.

At the NHL is the owners asking themselves “What if the Johnson situation had happened during an NHL game?”. Obviously this kind of on ice incident is bad on every level including the business level.

Also players are an investment the owners need to protect. Getting hit in the face is a totally preventable injury. It’s just bad business to NOT require face protection.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,951 through 1,980 (of 5,782 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.