2021 MN Vikings Thread

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The bigger issue may be the lack of offense in 3 practice games. I realize that neither Jefferson, Theilen, or Cook has really played much but still. Bout the only guy that has looked real good is Irv Smith.

Mahomes and company carved up the first team defense like butter too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I thought Mond looked good last night. Mac Jones will go as far as Belicheck will take him, I don’t see him doing anything near Brady’s level.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Each to their own opinion. I did use the word potential. I’d rather have the pedigree of Jones and have him sit behind Cousins.

To me, the Vikings #1 priority should be finding a long term QB and doing it the right way.

Instead we took an O lineman who just had a second surgery on his groin and may not even win the starting job.

lindyrig79

I thought Mond looked good last night. Mac Jones will go as far as Belicheck will take him, I don’t see him doing anything near Brady’s level.

And I agree with this. But nobody has come close to Brady.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

To me, the Vikings #1 priority should be finding a long term QB and doing it the right way.

Kirk cousins contract is fully guaranteed for this year and next with a cap hit of 45 million dollars next year. Just to be clear you are saying you think the Vikings should select a QB in the top of the draft to sit on the bench for 2 years?

TBH the Vikings did what you wanted them to – they selected a raw QB prospect with one of the highest ceilings in this draft class. A QB that will take some time to develop. Say around 2 years or so

stout93
    Becker MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Kirk cousins contract is fully guaranteed for this year and next with a cap hit of 45 million dollars next year. Just to be clear you are saying you think the Vikings should select a QB in the top of the draft to sit on the bench for 2 years?

TBH the Vikings did what you wanted them to – they selected a raw QB prospect with one of the highest ceilings in this draft class. A QB that will take some time to develop. Say around 2 years or so

Seemed to work for the Packers..

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Sort of. Rodgers was taken at pick 24. Hardly the top of the draft. Regardless draft day narratives don’t have much of anything to do with how a players career turns out….

Back to the Vikings – they look awful lol. Let’s hope the new OC is just keeping things close to the vest. Preseason hasn’t been much of a confidence booster

stout93
    Becker MN

Sort of. Rodgers was taken at pick 24. Hardly the top of the draft. Regardless draft day narratives don’t have much of anything to do with how a players career turns out….

Back to the Vikings – they look awful lol. Let’s hope the new OC is just keeping things close to the vest. Preseason hasn’t been much of a confidence booster

I guess my point is that at some point the front office needs to realize that this approach with FA QBs is not working. You need to take a shot at a QB in the first at some point, even to the point of moving up whatever cost that may take. I know we whiffed on Ponder, but that’s not enough reason not to try again, because we all know Cousins is not going to get us far enough.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I wouldn’t have a problem If they did go after a QB high in the draft but the thing is the Vikings have been in contention for some time. We haven’t won less than 7 games since 2013 and we’ve been to the playoffs 3 of the last 7 years, even winning a few playoff games. That means we aren’t getting high picks in the draft.

SF just gave up 3 1st rd picks to move up from 12 to 3 to take the 3rd QB in this draft class. If we ever had a top 5 pick sure let’s select a great QB prospect but we rarely ever have that opportunity.

If the Vikings look like they did in preseason in the regular season we may have that chance. Zimmer will be fired, cousins will be shopped around for a ham sandwich and speilman may be gone too. And then we can hit reset.

stout93
    Becker MN

I wouldn’t have a problem If they did go after a QB high in the draft but the thing is the Vikings have been in contention for some time. We haven’t won less than 7 games since 2013 and we’ve been to the playoffs 3 of the last 7 years, even winning a few playoff games. That means we aren’t getting high picks in the draft.

SF just gave up 3 1st rd picks to move up from 12 to 3 to take the 3rd QB in this draft class. If we ever had a top 5 pick sure let’s select a great QB prospect but we rarely ever have that opportunity.

If the Vikings look like they did in preseason in the regular season we may have that chance. Zimmer will be fired, cousins will be shopped around for a ham sandwich and speilman may be gone too. And then we can hit reset.

I would have been ecstatic to give up 3 first rounders for Lance. At least it would give us a chance at the prize….We’re not going anywhere with Cousins…

Or we could keep our picks and take Gladney, Treadwell, Bradbury, Hughes..Busts..

Yeah, I’ll give you JJ…

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m glad someone else started this thread. Didn’t go too well for me last year. This team looks really bad and even less confidence seeing the schedule. I see a 7-10 record so anything better is a plus.
    many rip Spielman when they can and it is unfair IMO. I too rip him for some picks like Ponder and Mond but he hits so many times with 5th rounders like Diggs and Hunter. I can’t wait for some real meaningful football so I can start making some money!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

I would have been ecstatic to give up 3 first rounders for Lance. At least it would give us a chance at the prize….We’re not going anywhere with Cousins…

Or we could keep our picks and take Gladney, Treadwell, Bradbury, Hughes..Busts..

Yeah, I’ll give you JJ…

3 firsts for Lance! absolute incompetency if you ask me. I think he is the best QB in this draft but no such thing as a sure thing and to give up that much capital for a dart throw. Cousins is the most pro QB this team has seen since Favre. all the negativity his way is incompetence. they tried to trade up for Fields and got beat out which I think is a blessing. It’s all opinions before they strap on the cleats but I would rather have Kirk over Lance or Fields in the short term. Mond is a terrible waste of a pick and I stick by that.

AnotherFisherman

The Irv Smith replacement was traded for yesterday, Chris Herndon from the NY Jets. We traded a 4th rd pick for Chris Herndon and a 6th rd pick.

Slick Rick does it again! Herndon looks promising!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The Irv Smith replacement was traded for yesterday, Chris Herndon from the NY Jets. We traded a 4th rd pick for Chris Herndon and a 6th rd pick.

Slick Rick does it again! Herndon looks promising!

Herndon is very solid, IF he can stay on the field. That’s big if thus far in his career.

Mond is a terrible waste of a pick and I stick by that.

I’m not big on Mond, but he’s not a terrible waste of a pick in the 3rd round. Particularly when you have 4 3rd round picks, and only one of them (Wyatt Davis) has a shot at starting this year. Chazz Surratt and Patrick Jones II being the other 2 depth guys.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

Yeah, I’ll give you JJ…

How about O’Neil Smith and Barr. I’ll give you Treadwell and Hughes.
    Not sure Bradbury is considered a bust and not sure they could have seen Gladney beating up his gal, but since he did I guess you have to consider him a bust.
    Vikes have two more drafts to go all in on a QB. I guess we will see if they do.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

How about O’Neil Smith and Barr. I’ll give you Treadwell and Hughes.
    Not sure Bradbury is considered a bust and not sure they could have seen Gladney beating up his gal, but since he did I guess you have to consider him a bust.
    Vikes have two more drafts to go all in on a QB. I guess we will see if they do.

I think people need to be careful what they wish for, in wishing Spielman and Zimmer gone. Obviously they haven’t achieved the ultimate goal, however they are consistently competitive, and things could be a LOT worse. It’s like people forget about the last three regimes (Frazier, Childress and Tice with GM by committee) that were all worse win % and playoff appearances than Zimmer/Spielman.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I would extend speilman and fire Zimmer if this season goes south. I think spielman is a very good GM

lindyrig79

Sounds like Irv Smith Jr will miss the whole season. Not good.

And where is Darrisaw??

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Sounds like Irv Smith Jr will miss the whole season. Not good.

And where is Darrisaw??

One of the mysterious “tweaks” that seem to happen all to d@$% often. When a “tweak” turns into a guy being out for the whole season, it clearly was never a tweak. Same thing going on with Barr, but I would argue that there is a pattern with him injury wise. Seems ever since we gave him his extension he has struggled to stay healthy.

I’ve been wondering if there are some serious issues with our training/medical staff with so many of these players suffering these nagging pre-season injuries.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Do the Vikings and the Twins have the same training/medical staff?

Jensen

Penalties and more penalties they must think it is still the preseason. I expect Zimmer has a yelling match in locker room and the 2nd half is different. I hope anyways.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The good thing is the Vikes stink so bad that they will force me to fish more.
    There’s no way I can waste time watching these clowns.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

O-Line is looking awesome so far this season. roll

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

On the bright side…
    We have a bad a$$ FG kicker

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

And punter.
    63 yards shock

tim hurley

Actually a lot to like, gotta clean up the sloppy penalties or you won’t even get close with other teams.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

The Vikes are in mid-season form already!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Dude what is with all the penalties? 3 false starts on the first offensive series of the season? That’s why you have a preseason, to prepare to play together and avoid this.

All those penalties are a direct reflection of coaching because if they’re doing it in a game, they’re doing it in practice too. And if they’re doing it in practice, it needs to be addressed.

As poorly as they played in the first half, they showed some heart in the second half to force OT and almost win. Sloppy turnover by Cook. Cousins played quite well.

Arizona and Seattle the next 2 weeks? Doesn’t look promising. The NFC West is loaded.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Vikings did not look great. Another way of saying that is they looked 10x better than the packers

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Erin’s man bun is pretty.😍

Vikings did not look great. Another way of saying that is they looked 10x better than the packers

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 732 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.