2021/22 Skid House offerings and value comparison

• Chris Swatin

I am in the process of shopping / custom ordering / purchasing a skid house. I wanted to start a thread specific to what is available 2021/22 in my needs category. I have read many past threads and found a lot of good design ideas. I am trying to gather some opinions about what I am seeing online and solicit feedback on the various manufactures, build quality, design options, warranty, and price point. It seems like there is quite the gap in pricing and it doesn’t reflect offerings per se.

I am looking for an easy to move unit. I’m focused on a house to fish less than 4 anglers. Here are the manufacturers I have found and welcome any additions. In an attempt to determine who makes the best house for the cost that fits my needs I am going to compare only 6 x 10 of 6.5 x 10 models when available. Some manufacturers do not have sites so i’ll use reseller links.

At the end of the day it comes down to the finer details. What is included, fit and finish, and a few manufacturer proprietary features.

Below are my findings. I hope they provide others value and will bring in some commentary from the seasoned pros and real life experienced users. As I receive feedback or identify errors I’ll adjust the original posting.

Current leader in value in comparable fitment is Aluma Lite IMO.

Ambush – $9,475 *No 6 wide model priced @ 6.5’

Slayer

Hyfax, Hitch, Battery tray, Lined interior, over the door light

Ice Castle -$6,195 5 1/2 x 10

2022 Ice Castle 5.5X10 LIL SKIDDER

Hyfax, Hitch, Argon windows, not lined interior,

Trek Manufacturing $7,495
    https://www.rothrv.com/product/new-2020-trek-manufacturing-ice-trek-6-x-10-1178328-6
    Hyfax, Hitch, Argon windows, lined interior, over the door light

Legend – No new skids house found

Pro Fab – $10,995.00 *No 6 wide model priced @ 6.5’
    https://www.profaboutdoors.com/product/6-5-x-10-five-window-single-door-skid-house/
    Hyfax, Hitch, Argon windows, Lined interior, propane carrier, tow hooks on skis, reflectors

Polar Fox – $9,800 model priced @ 6.5’

Polar Fox Skid Houses – Info & Prices

Hyfax, Hitch, Argon windows, Lined interior, propane carrier, tow hooks on skis, reflectors

Aluma Lite – $6,468 extreme model
    http://www.soderbloom.com/skidhouse.html
    Hyfax, Hitch, Argon windows, Lined interior, propane carrier, tow hooks on skis, rounded roof

elkrivermn

I have researched them all, Polar Fox hands down is the best. Yes they are more expensive though no comparison to Aluma Lite. You get what you pay for.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

I shopped around for houses this summer, ended up going with a 6.5×10 5 window ProFab. My cabin neighbor/fishing buddy did as well.

If you want something that is purely focused on functionality and are less concerned with longevity or appearance, then alumalite would probably serve you well. I have a neighbor at the lake with one, and he’s been happy with it. Treated wood floor, little bit of flex to it, windows are standard. Spray foam will discolor over time if you don’t paint it. But very functional.

Ambush looked nice, but it seemed like hole placement options were limited.

Ice Castle skidders are rough. Very rough. I was not impressed with any of the ones I have seen, and wouldn’t consider purchasing one.

A few years ago I looked into a house from Bebergs, and was not impressed with how much the “add-ons” increased the price. Their new Polar Fox series seems to be following the ProFab trend of composite walls. You should note how much the windows add in, the Polar Fox are standard with two while the ProFab you linked is the five window. Hyfax on Polar is HDPE, while Hyfax on ProFab is UHMW.

ProFab uses the CORE ICE composite panels, and the base frame design is the same from the Ice Cave days (same guy, just different brands). Frame on the 6.5×10’s is especially solid. Went and toured the shop with Steve C. (Owner) and talked through the different options. He was very responsive with both email and texting as well. He will work with you to lay out the house how you want it (working around the frame) and will do as much or as little as you want. I prefer their wrap lighting compared to the Polar Fox. ProFab might not be the cheapest, but the house I got is exactly what I wanted for the cabin and I never have to worry about any wood deteriorating.

I can add some photos later.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I really like the seamless design of the Ambush brand, but wanted side by side holes and they said thats an issue with their floor framing…Their electrical looked a little janky imo too…

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Will these manufacturers add a vented heater to these skid houses? I’d be interested in one but only if I could sleep in it

vinella

Will these manufacturers add a vented heater to these skid houses? I’d be interested in one but only if I could sleep in it

I can only speak to ProFab (picking up mine this weekend), but the answer is yes.

Fowldreams55398

Why don’t they go with a V-front? Seems the extra space would be nice and when hauling it isn’t pulling into a flat wall.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Why don’t they go with a V-front? Seems the extra space would be nice and when hauling it isn’t pulling into a flat wall.

Don’t the vast majority of skid house owners also own cabins and therefor keep the house on their lake all winter? That will be my plan in the future…

Hauling the skid house on/off a trailer everytime seems like alot of work?

Lost
    Shafer, MN

My skid will not leave my cabin very much, if at all. I’d rather have the extra length of a box vs an awkward V-front. I didn’t notice any difference when towing the empty trailer vs the trailer with the shack on it either.

Pro fab and Polar Fox will both add vented heaters, unsure of some of the other brands. They will also add furniture options if you desire. I decided that I will add heater and jacknife sofa to mine sometime in the future, in order to manage the initial cost.

Attachments:
    1. Interior.jpg

2. Exterior.jpg

Chris Swatin

The quote feature isn’t working. This was in reply to Elkrivermn, you stated you have shopped them all.

Can you elaborate on what makes them the best? I don’t mind a premium fee for a premium product. At least what makes them Polar Fox better than Pro Fab would be helpful.

Chris Swatin

JoeMX,

I like the Ambush brand construction but they seem to have the least amount of integration. Polar Fox and Pro Fab look like they have been doing this a lot longer based on the fit and finish and integration of accessories. My first reaction was that Ambush is over priced based of their basic design.

Chris Swatin

Fowldream,

Some offer a v-front. I have seen the v turned into a nice storage area for propane, and a lock box etc…

All the manufacturers offer an externally vented heater option.

JoeMX1825
    MN

JoeMX,

I like the Ambush brand construction but they seem to have the least amount of integration. Polar Fox and Pro Fab look like they have been doing this a lot longer based on the fit and finish and integration of accessories. My first reaction was that Ambush is over priced based of their basic design.

for what they are, I think they are all over priced )

Chris Swatin

My skid will not leave my cabin very much, if at all. I’d rather have the extra length of a box vs an awkward V-front. I didn’t notice any difference when towing the empty trailer vs the trailer with the shack on it either.
    Pro fab and Polar Fox will both add vented heaters, unsure of some of the other brands. They will also add furniture options if you desire. I decided that I will add heater and jacknife sofa to mine sometime in the future, in order to manage the initial cost.

What size ProFab did you elect for? I really like the looks of your unit. I have seen a design with a Vfront that had a larger center ski I could see being valuable for breaking fresh snow but I like the rectangular form for storage. I am in a similar situation where I’ll just be pulling it from my cabin to my spot and so forth. No trailering commonly.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Lost wrote:</div>

What size ProFab did you elect for? I really like the looks of your unit. I have seen a design with a Vfront that had a larger center ski I could see being valuable for breaking fresh snow but I like the rectangular form for storage. I am in a similar situation where I’ll just be pulling it from my cabin to my spot and so forth. No trailering commonly.

It’s a 6.5×10 model. My neighbor got the same size as well (he is the one in the Menards shirt on the ProFab page, my shack is the black one shown on there as well). I don’t think there will be much of an issue breaking through snow with the model as is – I would be concerned with having a center ski freezing in if not blocked well during a thaw/refreeze. And it would cause additional weight.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

I have the Alum-lite 6×10, I really like it, but it has been a bear with all the slush we have had the past couple of years. 1 would not like to fish in mine with more than 2 people. You could get 3 but that is about it. As far as the heater goes, If you get a vented heater, I would look for a small unit. I use a small Buddy heater in mine and that’s almost to much. I don’t know if argon window are a good idea in a skid house with the beating they take. You all know what an argon window looks like when it leaks its argon. Maybe they are using a different seal, but that’s a question I’d ask. I have the V front and the center ski.

Chris Swatin

It’s a 6.5×10 model. My neighbor got the same size as well (he is the one in the Menards shirt on the ProFab page, my shack is the black one shown on there as well). I don’t think there will be much of an issue breaking through snow with the model as is – I would be concerned with having a center ski freezing in if not blocked well during a thaw/refreeze. And it would cause additional weight.

Can I ask what you are moving your skid house with? I’m hoping to use either a snowmobile or a sportsman that I have currently.

Chris Swatin

I have heard good things about these units too. I don’t think they are as heavy duty but the price reflects a lighter manufacturing design. By a bear do you mean to move around or to get it out of the ice after a freeze etc..

Bob D

I am on my second 8×12 w/ V Front Alumalite and have nothing but positive things to say about them. I think they are the best bang for the buck out there. My criteria for my house was I wanted to fish 4-6 guys comfortably which this house does. I also wanted something that was easy to get off the lake when there might be several feet of snow at the end of the year and for some reason non of your buddies are available to help:) I put my house in the middle of my lake and there are no plowed roads so getting a truck out to trailer a big wood skid house or even an aluminum skid house isn’t an option.

If you want a completely finished off house with nice smooth walls then Alumalite may not fit your needs. You are also going to pay a significant premium for a completely finished off house. With that being said I painted mine gray and put white trim boards up and she looks awfully nice! The nice thing about Soderblooms (manufactures Alumatie) is Chris will custom make any size you would like and configure the holes however you want them. I had him put a rubber floor in and add a spear hole on this house so I have 8 holes plus the spear hole. I have not decided if I will add shelves in the V-Front because I like the space when you add 6 guys. I also don’t store anything of value in the house because their are to many S@#$ holes out there to break in. I will put baskets on the upper trim boards for people to store tackle, hats, gloves etc.

I will say that an 8×12 with a v-front is not made to be moved around daily. I have not pulled this new house out yet but with my old house if there was 1-2 feet fresh snow the snow would accumulate and cause my 4 wheeler to dig down to the ice. I pull it with a 4 wheeler with tracks. The new house has the boxed in skids so there will be more ground clearance which should help with this issue. I also have a side by side with tracks this year which will make things easier. If you are pulling across packed snow or a plowed road you can pull this 8×12 with a snowmobile. I should also add that you better make sure you aren’t going to pull any size house through slush as that would be a disaster. I usually make sure to follow the same path out and back a few times a few days before I want to move the house which makes it easy. Even if there is slush on the lake if you run over it with a snowmobile a night or two before you move the house the slush will freeze. If you are looking to be mobile, i.e. move every day or even a couple of times a day you need to go with a small 4×6 or 6×8. I have heard from friends that even a 6×10 w/ v can get tough to move in deep snow.

The other thing as someone else mentioned, I can heat this house with a regular buddy heater. I may add a direct vent heater so I can leave it on with a thermostat to keep the spear hole open and to make it safer if I ever sleep in it.

Here is the only picture I have on my phone at the moment.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20211213_023741727.MP_-scaled.jpg

Bob D

I should also add the more finishing you do in these houses the heavier and less mobile they get. The 8×12 alumalite only weighs 800 lbs! I can push it around my yard by putting a pvc pipe under it and sliding it from side to side.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Lost wrote:</div>

Can I ask what you are moving your skid house with? I’m hoping to use either a snowmobile or a sportsman that I have currently.

Doesn’t look like my reply worked, so here goes round 2:

Pulling with a Honda Foreman ATV. I was able to pull it around on the grass/clay at the cabin without much issue, and expect frozen ground/snow/ice to make it even easier. I have commented on past IDO posts regarding the comparison of pulling a skid (the neighbor’s alumalite) vs a homemade wheelhouse and it’s not even a comparison. Skid was a breeze, it floated on top of the crusted slush with the ATV and was on shore in minutes. Wheelhouse took 8hrs, an ATV, two trucks, and a tractor.

My neighbor and I will probably try hand pulling one of the Pro Fab shacks this weekend, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Chris Swatin

Bob,

Your house looks awesome. Thank you for the great information. The interior finish is a struggle for me. I also appreciate the details on moving your house. I’m leaning towards 6×10 and I’m really hoping to use a wheeler to drag it. Good news I don’t have to run far and we have snowmachines to create a packed path after significant snow events.

Bob D

No problem. Its amazing what a coat of paint will do! A couple of other things I just thought about that will save you the head aches I went through in learning how to move mine. Getting the house moving is the key. When I am going to move I put some PVC pipes under it so the house doesn’t give any resistance. With a 6×10 this stuff may or may not be an issue. It is also important to keep ice/debris off the bottoms of the hyfax skids. The first time I went to move my last house there was ice/snow built up on the bottom of the skids. All this did was add friction that made it difficult to move. Once I figured that out I make sure not to push a lot of the snow when banking the house directly under the skids. If I am going to let the house sit anywhere for more than a day I put it on blocks. I also block it up on a couple 2×4 when storing in the off season so that mud/leaves don’t stick to the bottom. No matter which route you go you will love the light weight of an aluminum house.
    Good luck.

Chris Swatin

No problem. Its amazing what a coat of paint will do! A couple of other things I just thought about that will save you the head aches I went through in learning how to move mine. Getting the house moving is the key. When I am going to move I put some PVC pipes under it so the house doesn’t give any resistance. With a 6×10 this stuff may or may not be an issue. It is also important to keep ice/debris off the bottoms of the hyfax skids. The first time I went to move my last house there was ice/snow built up on the bottom of the skids. All this did was add friction that made it difficult to move. Once I figured that out I make sure not to push a lot of the snow when banking the house directly under the skids. If I am going to let the house sit anywhere for more than a day I put it on blocks. I also block it up on a couple 2×4 when storing in the off season so that mud/leaves don’t stick to the bottom. No matter which route you go you will love the light weight of an aluminum house.
    Good luck.

Your passion is obvious. Thank you for the tips and tricks.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

Chris – In what region do you plan to use this skid the most? My usage will be in NW WI near the Siren area, so my opinions could be different than some people in Northern MN or the UP. It is very rare that we have so much snow on the lake that it can’t be navigated by wheeler, especially wheeler with chains.

I went 6.5×10 in order to have enough room for two people and two dogs in the shack while still being able to move it around every weekend. If I was getting a rig focused on daytime fishability with 1-2 people, I’d look at one of the smaller two door models. If you plan to stay overnight, I’d go with at least a 6×10, so you can have a decent sleeping area while still having lines down.

norge

I have an 8X12 Aluma Lite with a V front. Bunks were added, a vented heater and a solar panel. I pull this with my Bearcat snowmobile. I am in the Upper Peninsula so there is a lot of snow. Not fancy but functional and about as light as possible. I have found that I use ropes to tow when there is any amount of snow to deal with. Difficult to break them loose with the rigid tow system. I have had some fun campouts with the Granddaughters in this rig.

Chris Swatin

I have an 8X12 Aluma Lite with a V front. Bunks were added, a vented heater and a solar panel. I pull this with my Bearcat snowmobile. I am in the Upper Peninsula so there is a lot of snow. Not fancy but functional and about as light as possible. I have found that I use ropes to tow when there is any amount of snow to deal with. Difficult to break them loose with the rigid tow system. I have had some fun campouts with the Granddaughters in this rig.

That sounds awesome. Is the solar panel to tend a 12v battery? I assume its for lights but can this also keep vexilars/flashers charged up?

norge

There are cigarette lighter style power points and USB ports for power and charging.
    There is a ceiling fan to distribute heat but that is seldom used.
    I use a hi lift jack to block it up when I leave it any amount of time and then bank the sides of course.
    It is hooked to a 30 pound LP tank and that lasted twenty days on the ice. We were camped 10 of those nights and then left it on low,
    45 degrees.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

4″ of clear ice with minimal snow and we are able to pull around the 6.5×10 Pro Fabs with one hand. Kinda surprised it was as easy as it was.

Chris Swatin

I sincerely appreciate all of the commentaries. I am targeting a higher-end skid house after reading other forums and reviewing the offerings. At this time I have reduced the offerings to ProFab, PolarFox, and a custom-built unit by a forum member.

Aluma-lite honestly seems like the best value overall. The finished interior walls is a feature I am willing to splurge on so that removes them from contention.

Ambush certainly has a lot of inventory out there. They aren’t priced according to fitment. I bet in 2-3 years they get the features and bells and whistle figured out.

My next step is to set up the house with tape (on the floor) and start designing the layout. Since the three manufacturer options I have selected are all custom built. I will also work up an options list that I want to be included. I’ll share my requirements and design ideas.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.