2019 Mille Lacs Winter Regulations

• Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Probably time to just have it catch and release all summer long. Let people have 2 fish a day in the winter and on opener weekend, let everyone whack 4. Then have it catch and release the rest of the year so we can at least fish an entire season.

It’s silly to close it down every year like they have been doing. I still think it would be a good idea to use that fancy hatchery they have to build the perch population back up. That could fill in the void as far as “keeping” fish goes. I know back in the 80s and 90s, we came to Mille Lacs at least in the winter for the perch, not the walleye.

gonefishin

In regards to allowing winter harvest, here are a couple of questions I had asked of the DNR this last December and the response back. As I am not much of a winter angler, I was looking for some reasoning for allowing harvest all winter which does help to force summer shutdown. The winter folks not only get to keep fish the entire winter season but also have no worries on a shut down while the mainly summer folks have to deal with the harvest from the winter and a shutdown. Sure would be nice to be able to fish the fall.

My questions:
    Over the last couple of years with walleyes being able to be harvested during the winter but not during the summer, I have been trying to figure out why this might be the case. Especially when the # of hours fished in the winter is so much higher than in the summer. Folks are catching a quite a few in the slot this winter which will affect this summers quota.

Can you explain the reasoning and also the science behind allowing walleyes to be kept during the winter or is this purely an economic play for the local businesses?

DNR Response:
    “You’re correct that winter angler pressure on Mille Lacs is typically higher in the winter, although there have been several years where we have estimated higher angler pressure in the summer. The reason that some conservative harvest has been allowed in winter and not in summer the last several years, relates to the recent lower safe allocations and the higher walleye catch rates that tend to occur in the summer fishery. In essence, the walleye catch rates in summer are so much higher than in winter that if open-water harvest was allowed we often would expect to reach the State’s safe allocation within the first couple of open water creel periods. When we solicited input for how to structure the open water regulation, we did offer that it was perfectly fine to consider a regulation that would harvest up to the safe allocation and then shut down walleye fishing for the rest of the open water period once allocation had been reached; however, the input we received was that the majority of input members wished to have a fishing season that ran through as much of the open water season as possible. So, with the higher walleye catch rates that anglers experience in the open-water portion of the fishing season there are actually many more walleye caught in the summer despite typically experiencing less effort. Further, hooking mortality tends to be a temperature related event, with higher mortality occurring with increased temperatures. With higher angler catch rates and higher walleye hooking mortality occurring with walleye catches in the summer, anglers actually still tend to kill more walleye in the summer through hooking mortality than what would be killed in winter with hooking mortality and harvest combined.”

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

We may have to accept the fact that it is going to be a premier smallmouth, pike, and muskie lake now instead…

Agreed. No walleyes to speak of in there. Walleye fisherman are better off going north and hitting URL, Winnie, and Leech. waytogo

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Not to be nitpicky(?) but Upper Red Lakes quota season also runs from Dec. 1 thru the following years Nov. 30th.
    Five years ago when we had a November similar to what this one is looking like, the lake got pounded from about Nov. 15th thru mid January, and the DNR actually made an emergency regulation change to drop both the limit from 3 to 2, but also to change the protected slot on the lake thru the remainder of the ice season. Any chance something like this could happen on ML if winter harvest is high?? Obviously any limit drop results in C&R only, and there’s not much “slot” to change. But, a mid-winter season reg’s change is not unprecedented.

Not nitpicky at all, good input certainly.

If I read about Red Lake quota season years back, I’ve certainly since forgotten. Do you know when they set the quota for the year on Red? I do believe that is not a treaty negotiation with GLIFWC, but between the DNR and Red Lake Nation?

Not sure if that’s even relevant compared to Mille Lacs but your point about “season reg changes not being unprecedented” is clearly relevant regarding Mille Lacs. crazy

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

In regards to allowing winter harvest, here are a couple of questions I had asked of the DNR this last December and the response back.

Thanks for posting this gonefishin.

Good questions you asked but the DNR response was for the first time their “reasonable” justification for their questionable regulating that I’ve seen. It does change some of the colors on the palette.

Refreshing to witness respectful and informative discussion here, as opposed to the garbage spewing found on more mainstream media platforms. mad

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’d love to keep a meal of walleye for a family of 4, just like anyone else.
    So next question is, Why is the quota so low? I’ve heard “rumors” that the quota will be a bit higher this year since the 3 year under the table deal is done. Time will tell.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Other than resorts struggling economically (which I admit is a problem and I do feel bad for them), I don’t understand all the drama over Mille Lacs Regs. If you want a fantastic fishery with C&R go to Mille Lacs. If you want to bring fish home (which I do often), go to the other 9,999 lakes in the state. Am I oversimplifying things?

ajw

I’ve said this before but for some reason I think it’s hard for humans to understand that maybe we can’t dictate nature. Nature is cyclical and does what it wants.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Other than resorts struggling economically (which I admit is a problem and I do feel bad for them), I don’t understand all the drama over Mille Lacs Regs. If you want a fantastic fishery with C&R go to Mille Lacs. If you want to bring fish home (which I do often), go to the other 9,999 lakes in the state. Am I oversimplifying things?

That’s exactly how it’s being treated now. They want things back to the way it used to be. It used to be the place to go to bring fish home.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

No, I agree.
    I believe the resorts are unfortunately going to continue to struggle no matter what. It’s a dying era in a day with campers, wheel houses, modern vehicles, and improved highways. More people choose to make a day trip or bring their home with them than ever before.

Im fine with C&R as long as I can fish the entire season.

Angler II

I’ve said this before but for some reason I think it’s hard for humans to understand that maybe we can’t dictate nature. Nature is cyclical and does what it wants.

ding…ding…ding

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Not nitpicky at all, good input certainly.

If I read about Red Lake quota season years back, I’ve certainly since forgotten. Do you know when they set the quota for the year on Red? I do believe that is not a treaty negotiation with GLIFWC, but between the DNR and Red Lake Nation?

Not sure if that’s even relevant compared to Mille Lacs but your point about “season reg changes not being unprecedented” is clearly relevant regarding Mille Lacs. crazy

From memory the following years quota for reservation/non-reservation waters on URL is set after the fall assessment, so is in place by mid-November (very unlike ML, so it is relevant). And yes, no GLIFWC in the negotiations.

The year I was referring to (2014), the limit was 4 up to November 30th, then on Dec. 1 the limit was dropped to 3 with a more restrictive slot (new quota year), then changed on January 23 (emergency order due to harvest) to a 2 fish limit with an even more restrictive slot.
    So you had three different harvest reg’s in a 60 day period.
    I fished URL the two days after Thanksgiving that year with my at the time 12 year old son. It was insane. Fished 4 hours friday afternoon and another 4 on saturday morning, 73 walleyes landed, mostly by Junior. Hoping to be able to repeat that trip this Thanksgiving weekend smile

I dont fish ML alot, couple weekday trips over to Fisher’s each June with Junior after school is out. The fishing sure has seemed pretty good the last couple/three years for eyes and smallies tho. Wish “they” could figure out a way to manage the lake for the betterment of the lake. So many stakeholders to try and appease.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I think you’re kind of missing what defines the Mille Lacs “aggravation”, it’s not that folks don’t understand that we can’t dictate nature. We can’t.

The consternation is that what is being dictated is the continual “moving target” that is the regs.

You can keep one, then you can’t keep any, then you can’t even target them…season closed early. sad

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Agree with Andy here, we all understand that nature is cyclical. The problem is the dual “management” with the tribe. It’s like having two cooks in the kitchen that really don’t agree.

I also agree that maybe the lake never gets back to a 4 fish limit with everyone filling their livewell and the launches all sending people home with big packages of fish 3 times per day. However, even a basic one fish limit per person (during open water) would allow a family of 4 to have a meal and allow for a responsible harvest.

And I’m a big C&R guy…. but kinda ready to have a meal every once in a while this is getting ridiculous with all the fish in the system.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Andy,
    I was just sent this link from one of the outfitters on URL, the new regs were just set for URL starting on 12-1-19. It does explain the process used, which seems infinitely better than what is done for ML.

Thanks for posting. With only one over 17″, I wonder how many out there are under to keep. Your linked article mentioned that.

Still haven’t been to Red, but is definitely a “must try” destination for me.

And I’m a big C&R guy…. but kinda ready to have a meal every once in a while this is getting ridiculous with all the fish in the system.

Yes…I think the majority of us are not looking to fill freezers, but just have an occasional fresh walleye dinner.

I suppose one reason I do want to try to get up to Red lake would be to partake in the having your fresh caught walleye fried up at one of the local bar/restaurants up there.

@mndrifter
    , hope you don’t mind being the promotional for Red Lake walleye dinners… grin

Attachments:
    1. Red-Lake-fish-fry.jpg

2. RLFF.jpg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Did I read this right?

“DNR Response:
    “You’re correct that winter angler pressure on Mille Lacs is typically higher in the winter…..”

Well duh!

S.R.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I’ve been fishing URL since 1998, back to the crappie boom, and have only missed one winter since. My experience is there is a good population of under 17″ fish also. We have never had much of an issue getting our “eaters” in the winter when we are there, but we usually do a sleeper shack and tend to catch fish all night long on rattle reels. And I tend to go there early ice thru mid January only for walleyes. During the crappie boom we’d go up all winter/spring.

Iowaboy1

Guess I will just have to keep eating those 22in smallmouth and cutting the cheeks out of the Muskie I accidentally snag. Phil’s recipe he gave me is fantastic….

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

Viewing 19 posts - 31 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.