2019 Mille Lacs Winter Regulations

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

One fish 21-23″ or 1 fish over 28″. Same as last year but I don’t think we could keep any over 28″ last year.

Will

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

They did allow the one over 28″ last year too.

This year…could be better, could be worse. crazy

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

Guessing it will be a lot easier to catch your “keeper” this year as the majority of the fish last winter were 20 inches. AKA the 2013 year class

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

So, Is it better for the lake to keep a slot walleye or an over?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What do you mean by “over?” A fish over 28 inches? Can’t imagine there are very many fish that big caught on a regular basis.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

What do you mean by “over?” A fish over 28 inches? Can’t imagine there are very many fish that big caught on a regular basis.

You’d be surprised. There are quite a few big fish out there.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

You’d be surprised. There are quite a few big fish out there.

Big in length – sure. Big in weight – not always.

Unfortunately people I’ve talked to who have been out there regularly this past season reported a lot more skinny fish that were “all head” as a few years ago. A buddy landed one at 28.75″ through the ice last season that went 6.3# on his scale. To me, that’s a concern…as is the lack of forage out there. A fish that length should be considerably heavier.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

based on what we caught in June there were several 28″ and over. and they were thin. I hope that reg stays in effect until July next year but not holding my breath..

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I won’t go on a long rant, I will just say I hope they keep it open for a full year and don’t have an early closure once again.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d venture to guess that a 28”+ fish doesn’t contribute much to the system at all. Especially if they are malnourished like some have claimed.

kevin gross

I agree the problem is no forage in the lake. Its NOTHING like it was when I started fishing it in the 70’s. the perch are tough shape with tulibees at a very low point and no lake shiners like there were. You get skinny walleyes like we are seeing. You just cant have it a premier Musky, Smallmouth and snot rocket lake. to many predators and now with clearer water we need to clean out some predators other than walleye and let the lake come back. until that happens this is what you get. No retention and skinny fish

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Kevin, if you have a magic wand that can make the water darker/murkier and reverse climate change, let us know. We may have to accept the fact that it is going to be a premier smallmouth, pike, and muskie lake now instead…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Kevin, if you have a magic wand that can make the water darker/murkier and reverse climate change, let us know. We may have to accept the fact that it is going to be a premier smallmouth, pike, and muskie lake now instead…

Yeah, cuz the walleye fishing sucks!

Karry Kyllo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

I’d venture to guess that a 28”+ fish doesn’t contribute much to the system at all. Especially if they are malnourished like some have claimed.

Saying that a 28″ walleye doesn’t contribute much to the system is not entirely true and I find Joel Nelson’s thoughts in the following link interesting.

Click on the Link:
    http://www.joelnelsonoutdoors.com/ask-me-anything/2017/7/3/hx93ylsahc4zevyp7xxgcr5us3kiza

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Saying that a 28″ walleye doesn’t contribute much to the system is not entirely true and I find Joel Nelson’s thoughts in the following link interesting.

Click on the Link:
    http://www.joelnelsonoutdoors.com/ask-me-anything/2017/7/3/hx93ylsahc4zevyp7xxgcr5us3kiza

That’s a great article by Joel. I also didn’t claim that my statement was fact either. That is clearly an opinion based on what I’ve heard.

With that said, Joel definitely avoided mentioning Mille Lacs for some reason. Why? I don’t know but I would BET it has to do with the fact that Mille Lacs hasn’t been stable for some time and that the lack of diversity has a lot to do with it. We do know that when large fish numbers get too high, the future year classes suffer. Their definitely correlated. How, isn’t perfectly clear and this is where the argument lies.

Is it the slots diminishing a single year class? Is it low forage due to lack of diversity? Is it cannibalism? Is it netting during spawn?

Pick your poison.

tangler
    Inactive

I heard on the news this morning that the DNR expects winter anglers will exceed their quota, which will lead to another shut down next summer. The DNR person said the community made it clear that they prioritize the winter keeper over all else. Probably because local business make more money in the winter? When will the DNR start to manage based on biology and not community pressure?

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Once phil kills all the SMB in ML it won’t be an issue coffee

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I heard on the news this morning that the DNR expects winter anglers will exceed their quota, which will lead to another shut down next summer. The DNR person said the community made it clear that they prioritize the winter keeper over all else. Probably because local business make more money in the winter? When will the DNR start to manage based on biology and not community pressure?

“Shut down,” What exactly does that mean? Catch and release only? or a closed season?

tangler
    Inactive

Sorry I just heard it on the radio in passing, I don’t think any specifics were given. I’m sure it’s all conjecture at this point?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So an over harvest in the winter results in an early closure the following open water season? That’s crap. The open water anglers should not have to be dealt the punishment of the winter anglers. If it goes over in the winter, shut it down in the winter. And vice versa in the open water season.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Sorry I just heard it on the radio in passing, I don’t think any specifics were given. I’m sure it’s all conjecture at this point?

Next time maybe hold off before you quote unreliable news sources. That’s okay, your intentions were valid.

Let’s get some facts out, there is no “quota” for winter anglers. That by definition means they cannot exceed it.

The quota season (which defines Mille Lacs walleye season) unlike any other lake, river, or pond in the state begins on December 1st through November 30th (unless it is closed sooner) because the quota has or thought to be exceeded determined primarily on DNR hooking mortality formulas.

And if that sounds silly, there’s this. The safe allowable harvest quota is not determined for the season until after the winter ice fishing/harvest is concluding.

Walleye season will close at the end of February and begin again on the statewide opener.

The DNR and GLIWFC hold their pow-wow during the early part of the calendar year and ultimately come to an agreement (despite whether the state agrees) and the safe allowable harvest is set and then split between state anglers/GLIFWC band members.

And this is for the entire “quota” season.

Odd…yes, after the state anglers have already harvested what has yet to be determined as allowable quota.

Any hope, if there is any…would be if the “agreement” would allow for a larger safe allowable harvest.

That would reduce the chance of an early closure next open water season. But this years poor fall netting assessment results circles us back to wishing in one hand and crapping in the other hand. mad

tangler
    Inactive

Thanks for clarification Andy. It’s my bad for mistakingly introducing the word “quota.” Again, I’m relating what I heard on the radio between slugs of coffee and trying to find a parking spot.

I found the quote: “If high catch rates continue this winter, harvest may exceed the 15,000 pounds of walleye taken last winter. This may also directly affect open water angling opportunities,” said Brad Parsons, DNR fisheries section manager.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Thanks for clarification Andy. It’s my bad for mistakingly introducing the word “quota.” Again, I’m relating what I heard on the radio between slugs of coffee and trying to find a parking spot.

I found the quote: “If high catch rates continue this winter, harvest may exceed the 15,000 pounds of walleye taken last winter. This may also directly affect open water angling opportunities,” said Brad Parsons, DNR fisheries section manager.

No worries my friend.

What you found this time is certainly well within the sidelines. smile

I have a question for you, I’ll PM tomorrow. Checking out tonight. sleeping

Smackem33

The quota is an imaginary poundage the tribe says we are allowed we will go over it regardless of winter harvest. The quota gets released in feb i think after the ice season. Pretty easy to go over something before they decide it

kevin gross

Yeah, cuz the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye fishing sucks!

Or we could clean out the snot rockets and smallmouth and make it a walleye lake again. the walleye are hitting big time as they have nothing to eat. I think it sucks to fish C&R as that kills fish for no reason other than playing with food. I think the masses would agree as the resorts on the lake are hurting big time as not many want to go fish C&R. I don’t I wont kill fish for fun when the lake needs them.

kevin gross

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

Or we could clean out the snot rockets and smallmouth and make it a walleye lake again. the walleye are hitting big time as they have nothing to eat. I think it sucks to fish C&R as that kills fish for no reason other than playing with food. I think the masses would agree as the resorts on the lake are hurting big time as not many want to go fish C&R. I don’t I wont kill fish for fun when the lake needs them.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

To have to fish C&R does suck.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Once phil kills all the SMB in ML it won’t be an issue coffee

Mwuhahahahahahahahaahahaha

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What good is Brad Parsons word? He said walleye wouldn’t close this year on August 14th, and they closed it September 1.

Let’s get some facts out, there is no “quota” for winter anglers. That by definition means they cannot exceed it.

The quota season (which defines Mille Lacs walleye season) unlike any other lake, river, or pond in the state begins on December 1st through November 30th (unless it is closed sooner) because the quota has or thought to be exceeded determined primarily on DNR hooking mortality formulas.

And if that sounds silly, there’s this. The safe allowable harvest quota is not determined for the season until after the winter ice fishing/harvest is concluding.

Walleye season will close at the end of February and begin again on the statewide opener.

The DNR and GLIWFC hold their pow-wow during the early part of the calendar year and ultimately come to an agreement (despite whether the state agrees) and the safe allowable harvest is set and then split between state anglers/GLIFWC band members.

And this is for the entire “quota” season.

Odd…yes, after the state anglers have already harvested what has yet to be determined as allowable quota.

Any hope, if there is any…would be if the “agreement” would allow for a larger safe allowable harvest.

That would reduce the chance of an early closure next open water season. But this years poor fall netting assessment results circles us back to wishing in one hand and crapping in the other hand.

Great informative post Andy!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Not to be nitpicky(?) but Upper Red Lakes quota season also runs from Dec. 1 thru the following years Nov. 30th.
    Five years ago when we had a November similar to what this one is looking like, the lake got pounded from about Nov. 15th thru mid January, and the DNR actually made an emergency regulation change to drop both the limit from 3 to 2, but also to change the protected slot on the lake thru the remainder of the ice season. Any chance something like this could happen on ML if winter harvest is high?? Obviously any limit drop results in C&R only, and there’s not much “slot” to change. But, a mid-winter season reg’s change is not unprecedented.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not to be nitpicky(?) but Upper Red Lakes quota season also runs from Dec. 1 thru the following years Nov. 30th.
    Five years ago when we had a November similar to what this one is looking like, the lake got pounded from about Nov. 15th thru mid January, and the DNR actually made an emergency regulation change to drop both the limit from 3 to 2, but also to change the protected slot on the lake thru the remainder of the ice season. Any chance something like this could happen on ML if winter harvest is high?? Obviously any limit drop results in C&R only, and there’s not much “slot” to change. But, a mid-winter season reg’s change is not unprecedented.

I would think anything is possible but I’m sure that you could look at last year’s winter harvest and get a pretty good idea what to expect again this year.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.