2014 dominator trolling speed

• matthewkolden

I’m looking at buying a 2014 dominator with a merc 150 and an 80lb terrova. Wondering,if anyone has a similar setup and can tell me how it trolls. I troll a lot, so it’s an important factor for me. My concern is the terrova lacking power to get me to a decent troll speed. I run a lot of cranks between 2-2.4mph. Obviously I want to use the big,motor as little as possible, and my assumption is the big,motor would push me well over 3mph. I also don’t really want a kicker, as I don’t want the extra maintenance costs of I don’t need to.

Thanks for any input.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

I have this exact boat (185 LD with yammies), and went with a kicker as I do A LOT of trolling. That being said, it trolls at about 2.5sog with the big motor. Fine for salmon, but a little quick for eyes and such. Could probably get the speed down with buckets, bags, or a trolling plate, but 60% of my fishing is trolling, so the kicker was a no brainer for me. Keeps hours of the big motor for longevity and resale value.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Re read your question….. I also have a 80lb terova. Can move me along at 2.5 if I want it to, but have to be at 9 or 10 to do so. Not sure how long the batteries would last at that speed? My boat is usually loaded pretty heavy though, so might be easier with a lighter load? If you were gonna go that route, Id get the best batteries money can buy. Not sure the 31s would fit in my battery compartment though…. never actually measured.

matthewkolden

Have you been happy with the dominator overall?

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Yes, I am loving the boat! Lots of nice storage and good layout overall. Only had it 3 months, but zero complaints so far. If you want to come down to Milwaukee, I’d take you for a test ride. Great boat!

matthewkolden

Yes, I am loving the boat! Lots of nice storage and good layout overall. Only had it 3 months, but zero complaints so far. If you want to come down to Milwaukee, I’d take you for a test ride. Great boat!

I appreciate the offer, but that’s a bit of a haul for me! I do believe I’m going to be purchasing this boat though. I’ll have a little test ride before I sign the papers, but I’m pretty confident I’ll love it. I have been in the same boat before, just not on the water, and loved the layout.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I’m surprised you can get down to 2.5 with the 150. I have a new merc 115 and can only get under 2.5 in current or into a strong wind. Otherwise the best I can do is 2.7.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.