2013 chevy traverse towing small boat

• mrpike1973

My tranny shelled out in our Ford Escape 1500# towing capacity. We just got a 2013 AWD Traverse it is rated for 2000# towing capacity I have had my boat weighed with every thing it weighs 1350# small aluminum boat 30 hp motor only me or maybe wife as passenger no other weight in car. Dealer and my mechanic says I should be fine and a big step up from the Escape. I do a lot of small short trips 10-15 miles at the most very careful with my driving. Any thoughts or anyone tow with one. We are totally done with Ford and Chrysler vehicles. The longest trip I would take is 25 miles one way flat land. We got it because it’s what we liked and after the Escape we couldn’t wait to Escape from it. yay

chubs1018

You’ll be plenty good. I’ve had 2 of them a 2011 AWD and now a 2019 AWD.my 2011 had the tow package wich makes them able to tow up to 5,000 lbs.. And I towed my 17.5 ft boat all over with it. My 2019 doesn’t have the tow package so is more apples to apples with what you have but it tows it just fine. You’ll be good and yes, it’s a big step up from your escape.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If the traverse has a 2000 pound towing capacity, certainly it should be easier that doing it with an Escape which has a towing capacity of 1500 pounds. The fact that you were towing something that you thought weighed 1350 with a vehicle only rated for 1500 may explain why it has issues. That is a 90% towing capacity IF you estimated the weight of the boat correctly. I would personally never tow that much weight of capacity as my primary haul vehicle.

tbruno

I have a 2014 Traverse AWD and it has no problem with my 17.5 Alumacraft with a 115 hp engine.Enough power for good acceleration and never had problem with braking control yet.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

We are totally done with Ford and Chrysler vehicles. The longest trip I would take is 25 miles one way flat land. We got it because it’s what we liked and after the Escape we couldn’t wait to Escape from it. yay

Not sure you should blame the brand on that, you’d have the same issue if you were hauling with an Equinox.

An F150 or Ram truck would be overkill for what you’re pulling I suppose.

That being said, the Traverse is a good compromise. The clue I observed with the Traverse is that it does have the 6 lug wheels, like a half ton size truck.

Does yours?

mrpike1973

Has the 6 lug wheels. Many people have luck with many brands of vehicles my wifes 2010 ford edge new transfer case $1800 water pump $2200, Still have a year to pay on it. never towed anything, 2002 Ford F 150 spark plugs broke when changed at mechanics 2 new heads good to go Transmission goes out never towed a boat. Chrysler mini van 2002 3500# towing capacity Transmission goes out under warranty 2 times never towed a boat. Now get this 1985 Ford Tempo Junker 4 banger towed a 800# boat for 5 years never died until the frame came undone underneath. Owned a Chevy Citation best car I ever owned never an issue go figure I just have bad luck. I sure did not need a tranny going out right now unemployed like everyone else but I get to go fishing. The Escape has had the heater core replaced the AC pump water pump 3 times rear axle replaced and for fun all 4 wheel bearings yes it has been a very dependable car yes it was towing up to it’s rated amount but again 3 10 mile trips a week driving slow enough to drive Mrs. Daisy it should not have went bad. And I do not beat on my cars the old ladies I worked with raced to get ahead of me so they would not have to pass me going home rotflol I went with a GM because we have had 2 94 Buick lesabres and a 95 Bonneville best cars we ever owned the Bonneville went 330,000 miles towed a 2000# boat loved it my wife cried when it died.

finman

I just got rid of my ‘13 Traverse….. First off- I towed a 1950 Sportfish with 200 Verado… Apples to oranges, I know- it had the tow package, no worries I thought- WRONG!!!! 150k, the tranny barely went forward . Traded in on Acadia. WILL NOT tow with it, as it is the same set-up as the Traverse. Change tranny fluid!!!! These models are prone to build-up in the torque converter, like every 30k miles if you tow. Personally- if I had to do again- I wouldn’t tow with it. $.02 worth……

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

You will be just fine.

The wear and tear on the vehicle is often more about HOW it is driven (maintenance, distance, speed, load, acceleration and braking habits, using a parking brake correctly at the landings to save on a transmission, etc) than the size of the vehicle itself.

milemark_714

Install an auxiliary transmission oil cooler,the transmission will thank you for it.

mrpike1973

Just had the trans flushed before I got it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.