2002 Johnson 150hp or 2007 Evinrude 115 e-tec or neither?

• Cody Bagley

Hey guys, I’m looking at a couple of used boats and am wondering about the reliability of the motors. Both are fairly good deals to my knowledge and the deciding factor to me is the motor reliability. One has a 2002 150hp direct injected Johnson. The other has a 2007 Evinrude e-tec. I have read some questionable reviews about both online and was wondering if anyone has any experience with either one? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I would pass on both, that’s just me.the 07 etech could go either way but way to much of a gamble in my opinion, 02 Johnson that’s probably a Ficht? Definitely run from that one!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Here’s the key question: How badly do you want to have a boat in 2021?

With outdoor rec toy sales including boats going absolutely apesh!t last year and the trend showing every sign of continuing into 2021 and beyond, you aren’t going to be able to be choosy for long before boats like you’re looking at disappear.

You’re going to get all kinds of feedback on the Evenrudes. Most of it from guys who have never owned the models in question. Take all feedback from non-owners with a grain of salt.

To me it always comes down to the deal. How good of a deal can you get? Is it good enough for you to feel comfortable taking on the risk of having to repower if anything goes wrong? Nobody can answer that question for you.

But you have to weigh all that against the risk of NOT getting any boat in 2021. Things are going to go absolutely crazy starting March 1 in most areas so this year especially it’s going to be key to decide what risk you’re willing to take and then go with it.

Grouse

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Had a 1999 Ficht 115hp. run away. I re powered in 2006 with a 2007 E-tec 115. Fine motor. Bought new boat in 2012 with 2012 E Tec 115 hp no issues. Bought new Boat last spring a 2019 ALumacraft with you guessed it E Tec 115 No issues so far. The Ficht nearly bankrupted me. Have Dealer hook 2007 to computer and they can tell hours run and at what rpm’s is it current on updates has it over heated etc.

Mwal

CaptainMusky

Stay away from that Johnson! Run, don’t walk. The Etec in that HP 115 would be OK, but larger were troublesome.

Loren I Duerr

My 07 115 etec didn’t make it 3 years Injector went in first year third year top bearing went out. both repaired under warranty. Traded boat.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My thought is if the Etec hasn’t had anything major go wrong in the first 14 years, it’s not going to spontaneously combust on you. Just keep in mind that it’s a 14-year old outboard, so it could end up burning you.
    My MIL has a newer (2018?) Etec 90, and it’s been flawless. Wouldn’t have been my first choice, but the sales guy talked her into it. rotflol

Cody Bagley

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I’ve decided against the Johnson after hearing the bad about that. The Evinrude I will have to do a little more checking on. I appreciate all the information. With that being said, anyone have a used 17-18’ boat for sale around $10-12k? Lol

michael keehr

My bil has a 2008 115 etec motor has been perfect. I thought that the 90 and 115s were very reliable. We go to rainy every year and have had it up at low it has been great so far.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The 90s and 115 etec motor are good motors. Like any motor there may be a bad apple but those are reliable motors to say the least

gregory
    Red wing,mn

My bil has a 2008 115 etec motor has been perfect. I thought that the 90 and 115s were very reliable. We go to rainy every year and have had it up at low it has been great so far.

I believe in ‘07 they updated injectors and added more oiling. So I would look if that’s the case with that one. If the dealer plugs it in and pulls up history that will tell you a lot.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

The johnson,not a snowballs chance.It would have to be a helluva deal on the 07.

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

I get tired of all the Johnson/Evinrude bashing. Yes, there were motors that had issues, but there were also ones that ran great. I have a 2002 Evinrude 225 Ficht on my 620 that has been fantastic. Only things done outside of normal maintenance (plugs, impeller, etc) has been a new starter and a lower unit after I hit a rock on Rainy Lake.

This will be my 19th year running that motor. I will run it until one of us gives up going.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

That E-Tec is clearly what I’d lean towards. Following Grouse’s advice, stick to numbers and the “deal” you can get. Keep in-mind anyone selling a boat with knowledge of what has went on with supply the past year or so isn’t going to be offering up any great “deals.” Boats that are ready to hit the water are going to be hard to find this entire Spring and Summer again. The only thing keeping me from listing my boat next month is the fact that it will be hard to find something to replace it.

marineman

I think it depends on what engine is in the 150 Johnson.. if it’s a FICHT.. yes; I agree. If it’s not, then it’s a fairly reliable engine that I would take over the etec.

The other consideration here is the difference in HP; if you’re looking at an 18′ foot boat the difference between 150 and 115 HP is going to be noticeable performance wise & should be considered as much as the engine that’s hanging on the back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.