2001 T8 Trim Acting Up

• skappel

I have a 01 Yamaha T8 that will not not trim up properly. When trimming the motor at the remote switch on constant pressure the motor will not move. There is power there but no motion. But if I pulsate the switch the motor will rise in small increments. The motor will however lower like it should holding the switch down on constant pressure. Anyone ever have this situation happen to them? If so, what can I do? Thanks!

mojogunter

Switch contacts are dirty. Just replace the switch

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

When you say that there is power there but no motion? Are you saying the the trim motor is running but the t8 isn’t moving? If that’s the case, you may have low fluid and/or air in the reservoir.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Does everything operate normally at the motor trim button? The remote switch is the most common issue for your symptoms.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Been there done that the problem is in the valves this was a problem in the early T8s. Yamaha redesigned the valves and the older T8s can be upgraded most shops just want to replace the whole unit for around $800. When I did mine parts were around $120 have to buy each part separate as Yamaha does offer a upgrade Kit.

skappel

Looks like I will be replacing the remote switch first and see were that gets me. I’ll try to keep you posted. Thanks for all your helpful insight!!!

skappel

Had the motor checked by my mechanic. The cylinder section of the trim isn’t working properly. They wanted big money to take it apart and find the problem with in. He also wanted to just replace the whole cylinder unit costing me close to $1k with parts and labor. Not my ideal situation for sure! Anyone have any suggestions on were to find aftermarket or used parts for the trim section I’m all ears. Thanks for your help!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I went back and dug all this up for you from when I searched out all the parts to do the update to the trim system.

04-13-2015, 03:09 AM

This was a very common problem on the early T8`s. I rebuilt mine myself it seems intimidating but not as bad as I thought. Yamaha does not sell a kit each part has to be ordered separately. In the parts list there is a upgraded valve which cures the problem permanently.. If I remember right all the parts were about $110 delivered.

Valve Seat 69G-4382G-00-00 = X2
    Main Spring 69G-43853-00-00 = X2
    Filter 1 6H1-43816-00-00= 1
    Filter 3 69J-4381C-00-00 =X2
    Spacer 69G-4388F-00-00= X2

When bleeding the T8 tilt it works best to use the relief valve and manually lift and lower the motor if using the power trim it creates air bubbles and will take forever to bleed the system.

skappel

Thanks Tom!! I have looked up all the parts and yes it’s around $120. Was it easy to fix? Was there any special tools needed? Going to order the parts and take a stab at it. I’m hoping this helps me because I am not shelling out $800 that’s for sure. Thanks again.

TripleA
    Blaine

for $120 even if it doesn’t work its worth a shot!

Bryan Myers

They really aren’t that bad to do. The big thing is to keep or get everything clean and becareful not to nik or cut any o rings.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I had the same problem with my 2006 T8 and Tom’s reply is basically what I had to do but I had a mechanic do it. I believe it was around $250 to fix. I believe the mechanic said there’s a Yamaha service bulletin about this issue.

I currently have a somewhat related but different issue. On cold days, say in the low 40s or colder, if I trim my T8 all the way up until it stops, and then leave it there for a several minutes, it will not trim down. I hit the down button but nothing happens. So what I’ve been doing is not trimming the motor all the way up to the upper stop limit and then I don’t seem to have the problem. This does not seem to happen in warm weather. I talked to the mechanic about this issue and he said he couldn’t find a service buttetin on it. It not a big deal. I can have the T8 tilted up enough to run around on plane with the main motor. Good luck.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.