2000 225 Yamaha Vmax prop

• ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Hi All,

I have a 2000 Triton 205 with a 2000 225hp Yamaha Vmax and I’m looking to get a new SS prop on the rig this fall.

Last year I was in a pinch and the only prop I could get quickly was a 26 pitch and it has no whole shot when fully loaded so I’m looking to drop the pitch in a new prop.

The max WOT RPM range is 4500-5500 on the manual but it sounds like a lot of guys run it closer to 6000. The 26 pitch feels like I could get it up to around the 6000 RPM mark but I try not push it over the max. When lowering your pitch it sounds like the RPM’s increase. If a 26 is already running around the 6000 mark and I need to drop the pitch for better whole shot, it sounds like the RMP’s should go over the 6000 mark and over the max for the motor which may not be ideal.

I think most guys run 21’s or 23’s on 20 foot fiberglass walleye boats. Anyone have any experience with this motor/boat combo or any input on different props to try?

Also, is there a marine shop that allows someone to test a few props before purchasing one?

– Sam

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

You should probably be at a 21 or 23 pitch with that boat. A lot of people are running high 5s on that boat. I’ve got a 200hpdi on a 18.5′ boat and turn about 5800rpms. Brainerd prop has demo props, you can get them shipped or stop by their shop and I’m sure you can grab a bunch to test. Prop Shop in Duluth is an option too if your up in this area. They don’t have a website but you can find their info online. I’d look into Mercury props, much better selection than Yamahas.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Top end and hole shot is a fine balance. Us old guys tend to care a little less about top end. Another thing for you to consider is whether to go 3 blade or 4 blade on your prop. 4 blade should give you better hole shot and better handling in turns (less chance of cavitation).

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

i own the same boat with a merc 225 on the back. im running a 23 pitch tempest runs 60mph all day and the hole shot is decent. hope that helps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.