1st time boat buyer – tips / recommendations

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The brown jersey cotton gloves are good in a pinch. 5 swipes per glove! whistling

-J.

never shake a mans hand whos wearing one sock. thats a life lesson passed on through the generations
    [/quote]

A tee shirt works in a pinch. Correct weather provided of course.

MX1825

-J.
    [/quote]

never shake a mans hand whos wearing one sock. thats a life lesson passed on through the generations
    [/quote]

Now that’s good advice.
    rotflol

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

No pee bucket in my boat – I’ve seen to many poor shots.
    “Mr. Wiffle” in my boat – wiffle ball bat with ends cut off.

Let me guess…I’m assuming the bigger end of the bat is “up”?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

surprised no one has mentioned TP. Hey you never know when you gotta go and its come in handy more than once in my boat either by me or my guests. Ive gone out with a styrofoam minnow bucket and come back with one for the trash before…..

The very fist time i ever launched my boat i forgot to trim the motor up when taking the boat out of the water. Dragged my skeg on the ground. Thankfully heard the shouts from others and stopped before much damage was done. From that moment on i came up with a little jingle i say in my head each and every time i launch a boat. “Motor up, plug in, straps off”. When taking the boat out of the water just reverse it – “motor up, plug OUT, straps ON”. I havent made a mistake at the boat ramp since (knock on wood)

always remember sunscreen and a good hat to cover up the sun. the sun can be brutal and you’ll thank me when youre older.

Lastly, wear your life vest. I wear mine 100% of the time but it would be especially important if you are fishing alone. i know its not cool to do but it might save your life.

Sunscreen and bug spray are your friend. However, they are enemies to your boat’s upholstery, any non-glass windshields, electronics, etc. My guests are told to lather up before they get in, and check with me before they just open up a can of spray on sunscreen and let it fly on the water.

I personally am more into the long sleeve SPF shirts with a few breaks taking it off versus layering on the chemicals, but to each their own.

cheers

Probably most common repair out on the lake in my boat is removing pop from trolling motor in order to remove someones fishing line . It is easy to do but requires a small wrench and nimble fingers . Often times either the nut or pin end up in the lake. I carry spares for all

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

A bigger boat and bigger garage jester

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.