1994 Lund 16 Laker

• Karl Sieczynski

Retired and bought this boat. I do not know how to back a boat or retrieve to boat from the water after a day of fishing. Let alone use the controls for the 40 hp Yamaha.

Are there any gatherings at one of the lakes in Missouri for Lund boat owners. After you are done laughing, can someone please provide guidance.

Thanks in advance,

Karl

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Thanks Karl, and welcome to our forums! Congratulations on getting the boat, and putting yourself in a position to be on the water. While we don’t have any content created (videos, photos) for backing in a boat, here is a good link to give you a better idea:

http://www.boats.com/how-to/how-to-back-a-boat-trailer-like-a-pro/

As for the Yamaha, I am assuming it is a tiller model. Here is a direct link to a user manual – you should be able to pick up some good info. If this is not specific to the model of your motor, you can always do a google search for user manuals based on the serial number of your specific equipment.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/1/lit-18626-06-58_1385.pdf

Thanks again for joining the forums, and we look forward to seeing your photos and hearing your stories!

Nick Cox
    In-Depth Outdoors

Karl Sieczynski

Nick, the “how to back a boat and dock a boat” is good stuff.
    Thank you for the assist.

Regards,
    Karl

lundojam

Congrats on the sound decision making. You won’t regret it.
    Don’t let the A-holes at the launch intimidate you; lots of guys get their jollies by acting superior at boat launches. (There is an expectation that one be expeditious, however.)
    The best way to learn anything is by doing. Practice somewhere that isn’t crowded on nice days. Don’t be afraid to invent your own way to launch and load either. There is more than one way to skin that cat.

Mickelson93
    Keokuk Iowa

A great tip is to have trailer guideposts. They are intended to help center a boat while loading on the trailer – but I find them even more useful when backing the empty trailer down the ramp to retrieve the boat. When the trailer is empty, the tow vehicle can block your view and you have no reference to the trailer’s location until it is too far to one side or the other. The guideposts give extra height to be seen and not hidden behind the tow rig – mechanically eliminating lots of uncertainty/frustration and allowing the driver to have increased confidence.

Another small tip is to practice boat control in an open area of the lake. Nothing to hit and not in anyone’s way (similar to practice backing a trailer in an open parking lot). With no intention of fishing, put out a buoy marker and pretend that is a dock or trailer. Practice transitioning from high to low speed and slowly approach without driving over. This gives good experience without the added pressure from the ramp – and builds skills and confidence for the ramp.

Lastly, take your time. Most problems happen when folks are rushed and not thinking clear. Boating/fishing is meant to be a relaxing and enjoyable activity. It is not a race.

Enjoy your time on the water!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Let alone use the controls for the 40 hp Yamaha.

Congratulations on your boat and welcome to IDO!!!

I’ll share a lesson or two learned the only way I know, the hard way jester
    Get yourself a set of “muffs” for the lower unit on the motor. Purpose is to let you start it in your driveway. The muffs hook up to a garden hose so water can be available to cool your motor. http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boating-accessories/tools%7C/pc/104794380/c/104706180/sc/104634180/motor-flushers/738091.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftools%2F_%2FN-1100606%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104634180

Lesson: Especially at the start of the season, Always, Always start it at home before being at the ramp

How to back up: Practice first in an empty lot. My first time was on a busy Saturday. Had to swallow my pride and take an offer that day as a more experience drive backed my trailer.

Karl Sieczynski

Gentlemen,

Thank you for for the positive comments. Going to Mark Twain Lake this upcoming Monday. Like anything; practice then do.

Karl

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

If you’re uncomfortable backing the boat trailer at the access, find an empty church parking lot. Practice backing the boat trailer into empty parking stalls a few times.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

If your going with another inexperienced person, don’t expect to be able to teach them how to back up an empty trailer on the fly while your pointing which direction they need to go from the boat. It’ll make for a quiet car ride home. Same goes for trying to guide them in to the trailer if they are uncomfortable driving the boat. Docks come at you faster than you think. Cant beat an efficient team with chemistry at the launch.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Welcome to IDO Karl. This is a great site to help each other out. Good info here. Congrats on the new boat. Until you are comfortable with the boat, backing, etc. don’t be in a hurry. Patience is the key. Good luck on MT and hook some of those nice crappies!

Karl Sieczynski

Had a blast on the lake … inserting and retrieving the Lund went well for the first time. There is truth to the statement ” don’t take counsel in your fears”

Fishing will come next time, we just enjoyed the boat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.