1988 680T battery relocation

• TNewman

I’m trying to relocate the batteries more towards the front of the boat to help with the weight issues of getting on plane. I have a 36v Terrova so trying to move 3 batteries plus the 3 bank charger. I’m guessing the batteries weigh close to 50# each so moving that much weight toward the front would be very helpful. I’m wondering if anyone has ever done this and could help with some pointers. I’m getting ready to re-do the carpet so now is the best time if I can build some kind of a box for them and carpet over it to make it look somewhat “stock”. One of my worries is the pounding that the batteries could take. Will it do any kind of damage to them? I’m also worried they might leak up there if they get too beat up. Any help is appreciated.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

A lot of boats have them up front, so I don’t think you’ll have problems. Marine batteries are built to take a pounding.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Strap them down. You don’t want them bouncing around. Everything in a boat takes a pounding, but as long as things are secure you won’t run the risk of tipping over a battery or breaking wires etc.

TNewman

Does anyone have any hints or ideas on exactly where to put the batteries? I could put them in the way up front right by the trolling motor or was thinking more toward the edge of the front deck and build a box for them to set in and maybe more storage space?

kroger3
    blaine mn

Adding a hydrofoil, trying different propping, and moving the motor up or down a bolt hole can make a big difference in on plane time. I have added hydrofoils to a couple tiller boats over the years and made a huge difference in on plane time.

TNewman

I did put on a hydrofoil and it has helped a lot, but I had a friend of mine in the boat that, let’s say he’s on the heavy side. 300+ and that was the best my boat has ever gotten on plane! lol. I just figured if I could add 150# +or- to the middle or front it would help when I fish alone. Which is most of the time.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Tab,
    What is the height of the step-up to the bow? If you use (3) AGM batteries, which can be laid down, could a box be built just in front of the bow step, extending the front deck?

Might as well give me the width, too.

I don’t think the step-up is tall enough to accomodate batteries normally upright.

HRG

TNewman

That is the biggest problem I’m finding if I put it right behind the step down. The top of the battery posts are exactly the same height as the deck. I never thought of laying them down! Interesting thought. But then I would have to go spend a small fortune for the AGM batteries, LOL I’m contemplating either building a “slanted” box that follows the line of the boats natural “step” up line to the top of the storage boxes so you wouldn’t stub or trip over. oOr putting them in the very front of the boat and build a box for them there. I rarely fish from the front but if I put them there it would be a little tight if you would want to fish from the front on your feet. I’m really contemplating doing a “step” up box and covering it with the carpet, put a swing up door so I can get to the batteries without having to lift them over something. I’m waiting for it to warm up a bit, it’s in storage and there is no heat in the building. I’ll try to get pictures and measurements when I do. I’m almost positive the width at the bottom of the step down is about 38″ or just a bit over. I know I can line up all 3 batteries about perfectly length wise just below the step, but wouldn’t have any room for the 3 bank charger if I made a box to just fit that. If I put them length wise running front to back I would have room for the charger as well I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.