175 SHO on Warrior 2090

• Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I have had the pleasure of running a Warrior V2090 powered by a Yamaha 175 SHO for the past couple weeks. So far I have been very impressed. It definitely has substantial improvement over the 150 SHO for only being a 25HP increase.

Here are my findings:

With only me in the boat with a half a tank of gas and minimal gear I was able to hit 48MPH. Loaded down with a full live well, 3/4 tank of fuel, tons of tackle, and three people it would always go 45+MPH.

The most impressive improvement was the hole shot and mid range. It definitely has a bit more torque and is more snappy in the mid range. It cruises really nice at about 37-38MPH.

The boat trolls down to about 2.6MPH. If I were wanting to troll at less than 2MPH I would just use the bow mount. If I wanted to troll over 2MPH I would use the big motor and drop the vantage to control the speed that way.

The boat is rigged with Humminbird Helix 10’s, Minn Kota Ulterra, 12′ Talon, Trim Tabs, tracks, and the motor is using a 17P Reliance prop. (The same prop that I used on the 150 SHO). I think it could potentially get propped with an 18P, but would risk losing some of that low-mid range performance which is very nice right now with the 17P.

Attachments:
    1. Warrior-175SHO.jpg

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

She’s a beaut

jon amundson

Like the boat.I looked at few but biggest set back for me was only 90″ wide. Current boat has 102″ beam. Quite the difference, also no room for kicker motor on transom. Talked with Skeeter boat center and they have never heard of putting a kicker on this Hull. No way would I be able to go without a kicker. Never understood running vantage backwards main forward to slow troll(.8-1.5mph) no way electric is gonna last pulling against current for 12hrs.Not to mention why put all them hours on a $22,000 engine when a kicker is less than $3500. I troll in current and on large bodies of water alone so going without a kicker seems crazy risky. If big motor went down in big waves off shore your electric is worthless. Love the big warrior tillers but no way without a kicker. Would have been allot nicer to have there counsel boat hull with plenty of room for both rear vantage and kicker motor. Those complaining about not being able to jig over the side while seated should have just got a driver’s seat mount with a slider on it. Nice boat.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Like the boat.I looked at few but biggest set back for me was only 90″ wide. Current boat has 102″ beam. Quite the difference, also no room for kicker motor on transom. Talked with Skeeter boat center and they have never heard of putting a kicker on this Hull. No way would I be able to go without a kicker. Never understood running vantage backwards main forward to slow troll(.8-1.5mph) no way electric is gonna last pulling against current for 12hrs.Not to mention why put all them hours on a $22,000 engine when a kicker is less than $3500. I troll in current and on large bodies of water alone so going without a kicker seems crazy risky. If big motor went down in big waves off shore your electric is worthless. Love the big warrior tillers but no way without a kicker. Would have been allot nicer to have there counsel boat hull with plenty of room for both rear vantage and kicker motor. Those complaining about not being able to jig over the side while seated should have just got a driver’s seat mount with a slider on it. Nice boat.

Although I still fish big water occasionally, (great lakes and lake Nipigon) I would rather have a Talon than a kicker anyways. With the 36 volt systems I have yet to run out of power even river fishing. I do recall having this exact setup on the Rainy River in the spring in heavy flow. We never ran out of power. I don’t do a ton of trolling, but when I do I either use the bow mount or big motor. Most of my trolling is done for muskies at 3.5-5MPH so the big motor handles this much better than a kicker.

I understand wanting to have a backup motor though!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Nice looking boat Pat.

brentbullets

Great review Pat. Just what I am looking for. Now get the boat back home as I am hoping to go for a test ride on August 4th. yay

jon amundson

Agreed with you on those higher trolling speeds better suited with big motor. Glad to hear of another happy Yamaha sho owner. Definitely my top choice for powerplant on my next boat. Good luck this season.

Jeff B

Is there any motor out there that is a 175-200 that can troll a boat like that down to 2mph?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Is there any motor out there that is a 175-200 that can troll a boat like that down to 2mph?

Mercury

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Sweet ride Pat!! That’s pretty darn quick for a tiller boat shock

I guess I have never understood why anyone would want a kicker on a tiller boat. More weight and clutter to me that I don’t want or need. If the big motor is too fast I use the trolling motor. Having another gas motor hanging off the back seems like overkill.

deertracker

Dream boat right there. Absolutely beautiful rig Pat.
    DT

Mark Milliman

Pat – if you had to pick would you stick with the 150 or are you trading up for the 175??

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Pat – if you had to pick would you stick with the 150 or are you trading up for the 175??

My 2090 with the 150 SHO sold earlier this spring – This 2090 with the 175 SHO is my new boat for the year.

Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 150, I think the performance of the 175 vs 150 definitely justifies the cost difference. It’s the same power head so the price is very comparable. less than a thousand dollars.

Palerider77

Have you put a tape measure to that boat when it is on the trailer with the tongue folded and the motor down? I have 23′ to work with and a setup like that is on my short list.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Have you put a tape measure to that boat when it is on the trailer with the tongue folded and the motor down? I have 23′ to work with and a setup like that is on my short list.

You’re going to have to grease it… that’s going to be a tight fit. My guess is with the big motor all the way down and the tongue folded it would fit. I’ll let Pat say for sure though. Otherwise you can call Skeeter Boat Center they would be able to help you out.

jrholz

Palerider77, My shed is 24′ deep. With my 2014 2090 backed straight in I have to push the garage door out slightly to close it around the tongue that’s folded in. So you need at the bare minimum 24′ Hope this helps.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Boat builders, in general, normally post the absolute bare minimum when it comes to storage dimensions. They’re not in the business of deterring people from buying boats. FYI,this doesn’t just apply to length. Height should also be considered. I have a coworker that ordered a new boat, and it was too tall to back in his garage door. Someone has to lift his 7′ garage door the last couple inches to allow the motor to fit under it, and it barely clears. If the OEM says it takes 7 feet you better make sure your 7 foot garage door actually opens the full 7 feet.

jrholz

Palerider77, F200 Yamaha tilted all the way down to fit.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I guess I have never understood why anyone would want a kicker on a tiller boat.

Safety.
    100% the reason i have a kicker.
    Unless you fish when there’s other boats present.
    I am on the water at minimum 50x a year without another boat on the entire pool.
    But yeah, many people don’t operate under those risk scenarios.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Sorry Palerider, I just saw this now. Did you get the measurements you were after?

abster71
    crawford county WI

the SHO’s are awesome love my 90 on competitor 185 tiller of course!!!! with the ol reliable T8

Palerider77

I wound up pulling the trigger on an 1890. Fits perfectly. Great so far, I will be writing a more thorough review in the next week or so.

Snap

Nice boat!

BRB, going to go 2nd mortgage my home!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.