16 ga Loads for Grouse and Woodcock

• FinickyFish

Just purchased a new to me Franchi 16 ga o/u. I would like to use it for grouse/woodcock hunting in a week but can’t find any 7.5 shot size anywhere. Might not be able to get it shipped in time either. Would folks be OK using 6 shot or should I really try for some 7.5. I will add I’ve only grouse hunted a handful of times in my life and am still looking for my first bird. Will be hunting with a pointer but he isn’t trained on grouse at all. Will probably act more like a flusher.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Have you checked reeds? Depending where you’re going and traveling from, I’m sure you could buy some and they would set them aside for you to pick up on your way through.

You are going to want 7.5s (or 8s) but 6s will work too – little overkill though (especially for the woodcock). Give me allll the pellets and the largest pattern in the grouse woods if for no other reason than mental confidence.

HeviShot

We have 16GA #8 at Tutts Bait in Garrison.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Any shot will work. I wouldn’t miss a hunting opportunity over shot size. 6 and above are fine but of course there’s merit in smaller size and more bb’s.

FinickyFish

Appreciate the replies. Heading to Woman lake via highway 10 and 371 so Garrison is out. Didn’t see anything smaller than 6 on Reeds website but will call to make sure. Will take 6 shot if need be but maybe I can find some 7.5 at the Longville One Stop or Godfreys in Backus.

Edit: Made a call to Reeds and they have some 7.5 in stock in Walker

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Just throwing it out there but if you can’t get some from reeds and you happen to be heading north on highway 10 in the Elk River & Big Lake Area, I have 3 boxes of Federal 16 Gauge game loads (2 are the 1oz 7 1/2 loads and the other box is 1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2 loads) I would cut you a deal on them if you’re interested. I am in Monticello but could meet up in Big lake at the Mcdonald right on Hwy 10. send me a private message if interested in them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.