12’ Crappie Rod and Reel Advice

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I have some spots I want to try and snipe crappies in wood. It’s just not feasible to cast into these spots so I want to try this tactic. Basically, long rod and go vertical in the trees and swing slabs out of there. With the livescope I think I can really target crappies in wood effectively.

Anyone else doing this? Have any recommendations on a 2 piece rod? I know a lot of guys run small bait casters so would take advice on reels, too.

Thanks in advance.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I have a B&M 12 FT 2 piece. Works slick for dipping . I do find myself getting arm fatigue extending it out and holding it for more than a couple of minutes LOL I started this last year after watching the Extreme Crappie Angler . Its nice to quietly drop a jig into a tight spot . This year maybe change it up with a float , that way it will take pressure off my arm .

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Are you both using spinning reels or bait casters? I kinda like the idea of a bait caster to drop the line down with just your thumb.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

So here we are in the 21st century and we’re still using “cane poles”. mrgreen

SR

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Matt I use a lot of 1/64 and 1/32 weighted flies. For me, a small 1000size spinning reel works better. The few guys I’ve been out with down south use much heavier jigs and the small bait cast reels work well

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

The Sams Super Sensitive comes with a tiny reel just to hold the line , also has a groove milled in the cork. You can then pinch the line to the blank to feel the bite .

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I have 2 Lew Wally Marshall,(I do believe he is not related to our Dean), 14′ for doing what you want to do.
    I run spinning reels on them, size 1000.
    I also carry a xl long handle smelt net when planning on using these rods.
    I could never really felt comfortable with 14 foot rod and 14 feet of line when landing bigger crappies so I use the smelting net to scoop up the water skiing slabs.

catmando
    wis

The one I have the most fun with is a 12 ft collapsible pole with eyes and a reel. I think it’s called a zip rod. DK.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Great advice from everyone. I think I’ll get a rod and just use one of my ice spinning reels for now.

Thanks!

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Matt, maybe an inline ice reel would drop your jig nicely. Just thinking out loud.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

BnM duck commander 12′ 2 piece own 6 basic 2500 shimano reels the $20 type 8lb mono. IF you have never fished with these poles you will be amazed of how many fish you can catch with this type of setup! Most of the time you will actually not reel just lift. Spot lock was a game changer with this setup.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

One of the better ones I use is the Shakespeare Crappie Hunter for being light easy to handle and for $29. I have B&M and others which work but are much heavier. Do not use a small reel on that size rod you need some weight on the butt end or your forearm will be getting overly tiered and you will not feel those light bites or add some butt weight to help balance the rod better..

tim hurley

Caught a few nice sunnies very shallow, they were all under the shade of some trees-if your cast was not under the canopy you got nothing-we would have caught a ton with long rods.

Nice Fella

A couple years ago I picked up a 10’ med action 2-pc “Whuppin’ Stick” at Cabela’s for about $30; I put one of my ice rod spinning reels on it with 4# mono. I add a split shot and bobber above a small fly or tube jig. Works GREAT around trees that have fallen over along the bank or even sunken timber. You can keep the boat just a little farther away. I do wonder if braid line would be a better choice.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’m going to run braid as the mainline and then probably a 4-6′ mono leader. We’ll see how that works.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

BnM duck commander 12′ 2 piece own 6 basic 2500 shimano reels the $20 type 8lb mono. IF you have never fished with these poles you will be amazed of how many fish you can catch with this type of setup! Most of the time you will actually not reel just lift. Spot lock was a game changer with this setup.

Exactly reeling is not practical with these long rods . Precision placement of the lure 12 pus feet away is the benefit , lowering a bait silently into an opening , waiting for the bite and lifting and swinging fish back to the boat . Reeling only when storing rig .

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

As a result of this discussion I’m going to try one of my 13 freefalls on my 11′ B&M. I wasn’t thrilled with them as ice reels, but perhaps they make a better summer reel for dabbling. Had them for sale briefly, but I’ll see how they work for this.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.