12', 14', or 16' Jon

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

At some point this year, most likely in the fall when prices drop will pick up a jon boat for skinny water fishing.

Can a guy get away with a 12′? How’s 2 adults fishing out of one? Any benefit to going bigger say 16′, more area on water make it draft less?

No experience in a 12′, 14′ lots of time but it was your typical mod v Lund, not a jon. Would be used strictly on rivers, and maybe the metro lakes with electric. 12′ would be more mobile, but would rather accommodate more for fishability on the river.

Thoughts? and thanks!

dbright
    Cambridge

Picking up a Jon boat in the fall is probably not the best time to get a good price. 1448 or a 1648 should be easy to find through the summer before duck hunting season. A 1648 with a 2 stroke 25 will get you plenty shallow and a 12v tm will do what you need.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Width is a big factor in stability and draft.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I’d at the very least get a 14’. I had a 12’ at one time for small ponds and I wasn’t happy with the size.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good point dbright.

Any difference between 14′ and 16′ for handling? Feel like a 14′ would be easier to scoot in and out of stuff, staying on seams, controlled drifting etc but if 16′ ain’t all that far off the added size certainly would be nice.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Make sure you check out the weight/people capacity of the small jon boats. Many of the small Jon’s with 2 big guys and gear and it’s over loaded.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Make sure you check out the weight/people capacity of the small jon boats. Many of the small Jon’s with 2 big guys and gear and it’s over loaded.

This ^^^^. I witnessed a spectacular fail in Canada when I was about 13, a couple of guys from Iowa tried to load 2 guys, a week’s worth of camping and fishing gear, and 6 cases of beer into a 14 foot jonboat. We were taking out at the time and my father said to them, looks like you might be loaded a little heavy.

They laughed it off and took off into a 15 mph wind. Dad said to me, unload but we won’t be taking the boat out. I’ll be needing to go pull those guys out of the drink in about 5 minutes. And so he did.

Grouse

jwellsy

IMHO 12′ & 14′ jon’s are mainly for ponds and still waters. I don’t like them on bigger water/rivers, they ride rough and make me nervous. I want at least 16′, preferable 18′ and the wider the better. Something like a 18′ Lowe Olympic Jon is so wide and stable you can climb back into the boat without turning it over.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Im gonna post a 2016 Alumacraft 1436 with a Johnson 9.9 hp, trailer, and lights up front and back here in the near future.
    Still in storage but of you’re interested, shoot me a pm.

CBMN
    North Metro

Not the exact same situation as yours but I have been thru a similar situation over the past 20 years.

I bout a 1236 jon in high school for duck hunting and it got a lot of use with no motor at all. I quickly realized it was only for ponds and slough holes as it is rated for 2 people and 350 lbs and and 8 hp outboard. So with 2 guys, motor and gas you are likely overweight. Moved up to a small alumacraft T14 and liked how manuverable it was but with any wind or waves you were getting really wet and blowing all over the place. Moved up to a lund 16’ wc with a 25 hp motor about 18 months ago and have to say it is great for my use. I did not want a jon boat because my boat does see some ice breaking duty in the winter so you definately loose some room but it is still relatively light and I have run it under power thru about 1’ of water on river a time or two. Power trim on the little tiller is a big luxury as i just trim it up until it almost stops picking up water and putt thru the shallow stuff.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have a 1448 and with two big guys its fairly stable. The 20 horse rating is nice. I’ve had this boat on Lake Superior, all over Lake Pepin and pools 4, 5 and 6 plus several lakes north of home and west of home. Great boat.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

14 or 16′ but make sure it is wide. Like said above wider is more stable. I can stand on the gunnel of my polar craft and not even close to flipping.

That jon might be up for sale later this year.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If you plan on dragging it around on dry land ever or difficult access, go with the widest 14′ you can find, if always on the trailer, get the biggest jon boat you can afford.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I’ve still got a mv1448 for sale with Johnson 2 stroke 25hp. Good solid boat, 72″ beam. Let me know if you want more info. Had 2 guys climb over the side while hunting and no fear of it tipping.

Dave

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Great info.

Lots to think about here until this spring price craze gets over with then I’ll post something up for ISO.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Already 3 jon boats posted on this thread for sale or soon to be? Looks like a buyers market for you Nick. waytogo

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

I have owned and fished out of 12 a 14 and 16 foot Jon. The 12 was good for smaller waters ( smaller rivers/short distances) and was very portable but I never felt as comfortable or safe in it ( solo or with another person ) as I did with the 14 and 16 foot boat.
    I caught a pile of fish and shot a fair amount of ducks out of my 14 footer. It was a nice river boat though I took it out on a few lakes when the weather was right. It was a great boat but with bench seating I always wished I had a little more room.
    After 15+ years I finally sold the 14 and went with a 16 foot War Eagle with an open floor plan and have zero regrets.
    I am a river guy ( medium sized river ) for the most part and the 16 footer rides better and tracks better than the 14 in waves/windy conditions. I have run the 16 in the same shallow stretches of river as I did the 14 with zero issues too.
    I vertical jig, anchor and cast and troll with my 16 footer and wouldn’t think twice about duck hunting or using it to get me to some hard to get to ( by land ) deer hunting spots if I wanted. My vote is that you look into a 16 footer.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Or if you haven’t looked at the war eagle for sale on IDO right now take a look at that ride. Someone is going to end up with a very nice boat there.

catmando
    wis

I have a 1448 alumacraft and it’s a great boat for hunting and fishing it’s real light. But if I was going to fish with 2 or more, I would opt,for a 16 ft er. A 1652 would be a nice size ,with a 25 on it. DK.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That is a great looking boat Mike, but not looking to spend that much. Will be keeping my 18′ Crestliner, this boat will be a small addition to fill that void I can’t do with big rig.

I do like the idea of upgrading it a bit though. See how much money there is made this summer then jump into something.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Get the modified V front if you plan on fishing any rivers. It’s amazing how much better they handle.

I wouldn’t mess around with a 12′. There are some nice wide 14’ers that are rated up to a 25hp but will also track just fine with a transom mount trolling motor.

jwellsy

There are some really nice fishing canoes and kayaks. Maybe a peddle drive kayak would fit your needs.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

There are some really nice fishing canoes and kayaks. Maybe a peddle drive kayak would fit your needs.

Appreciate the thought but I’m way to lazy for paddling or peddling of any sort on the water. How does a guy relax with all that work? doah

jwellsy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jwellsy wrote:</div>

Appreciate the thought but I’m way to lazy for paddling or peddling of any sort on the water. How does a guy relax with all that work? doah

Most of them have trolling motor options too.

tim hurley

!4 Jonny-I’ve had one for 20 years now-love it-huge difference between a 12 and 14.
    Good Luck

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.