10 years later… Guns that don’t make sense. Where Are We Now?

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I was looking to see if anyone else has asked the question recently about .410 ammo and came across a thread from TFG about guns we have, and love, that don’t make sense. I got to revisit my own comments from that discussion and wow… insert forehead slap here!

I was knocking .22mag compared to 17HMR… that’s changed! I still have one, but I have multiple 22mags now, and even prefer it. Now, I’m starting to wonder if 17wsm makes any sense? I haven’t shot one in a long time.
    I gave .41 Rem Mag some love… and I bought multiples in this caliber, but I’m back to one. Still love the round, but cooled the jets in recent years.
    I did not have a 16ga shotgun yet. Have 2 now.
    I still have 28ga and even stepped up to a Beretta A400 Xplor for one. I don’t shoot it as much as when it was new, but it’s still fun. For kicks, I found a case of 3″ 28ga rounds for the O/U. Fluke find but couldn’t resist the nonsense since they were clearance priced!

I think the only thing I can add to this list is the legendary, beloved 30-30. Can’t believe how expensive those rounds have become! I don’t need any, thank God, but knock me over with a feather! It wasn’t that long ago I picked up to extra boxes because after sale and rebate, I got paid $.02 to buy them! If it weren’t for the limit on the rebate, I would have gotten more!

I do have a 35 Remington coming my way. That will be an odd one for the collection and ammo??? Holy cats! $90/box and up!

I suppose I could add the 350 Legend too… I just like the name. It doesn’t do a dang thing my 30-30 can’t, or the 20ga slug gun can’t, but I just love the name. Have yet to shoot it, but I look forward to it!

Almost forgot… I did add 10mm since the last discussion too. 41 Rem Mag… what could I possibly need a 10mm for? Doesn’t matter! I love my Glock and it shoots everything! Nothing like finding a 60gr home defense round that carries an initial MV of 2000fps! I forget the energy, but it’s through the roof at close range!

So, if anyone remembers the old thread, what’s your status 10 years later? Or, if you missed the first discussion, let us know what you like to shoot/carry/own that does not necessarily make much sense!

ajw

The problem now days is most hunting rifles aren’t twisted fast enough to take advantage of the long skinny bullets we’re seeing today. The 6.5 creed was arguably the first to do this, hence its success thus far. The 6.5 creed on its own is fairly anemic but it comes from the factory twisted to utilize long slippery bullets that slip the wind much better.

.25-06
    .22-250 (especially this) 75gr eld or Amax at 3300 fps is an absolute hammer!
    Etc
    Etc
    Could all benefit from being twisted just a bit faster.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I think they just keep inventing new calibers so they can sell more hardware.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I love my 35 Remington, got two of them. I use the Hornady Leverevolution ammo and it’s only $30.00 a box where I’m at, so you should be hopefully able to find cheaper ammo then you mentioned.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I love my 35 Remington, got two of them.

I’ve always wanted a 35 Rem. What for? I like watermelon throwers I guess.
    I’ve sold most of my arsenal.

Went to Bills last Saturday on a short notice invite and found I was uncomfortably low on .45 and 9mm, but when I saw the prices, well taking out a loan was more uncomfortable.
    I did buy an AR because I always wanted “The Black rifle”. After 3 years of being cool by owning one, I said what for? Gave it to Ear Ring boy with a case and a half of ammo.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

32 Remington still has me frustrated. Not manufactured in so many years. Dinosaurs that have factory ammo want insane $$$ for it. Love how this ole’ gun handles, but the non-existent ammo keeps me from using it. Sits in the safe with the 2-1/2 boxes of ammo that I managed to get

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

32 Remington still has me frustrated. Not manufactured in so many years. Dinosaurs that have factory ammo want insane $$$ for it. Love how this ole’ gun handles, but the non-existent ammo keeps me from using it. Sits in the safe with the 2-1/2 boxes of ammo that I managed to get

Yeah, that and the 30 Remington didn’t make it too long. Got a peach of a Winchester 1890 in my gun safe but can’t afford the 22wrf ammo, sucks.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Same thing with my 375 Win. Love using it for hunting in the right situation ( Close range and in the brush ) but the availability of Ammo for it has it tucked away in the safe these days. I think I’m down to about 1 box of ammo remaining for it. That box will most likely last for the remainder of my life.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

Same thing with my 375 Win. Love using it for hunting in the right situation ( Close range and in the brush ) but the availability of Ammo for it has it tucked away in the safe these days. I think I’m down to about 1 box of ammo remaining for it. That box will most likely last for the remainder of my life.

Look into shooting 38-55 ammo out of the 375 win, I think you can. I think the 375 win is a little higher pressured, but essentially the same as the 38-55. I looked into it as i was going to buy a Marlin in the caliber a while ago but slept on it too long and someone bought it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Randy Wieland wrote:

Yeah, that and the 30 Remington didn’t make it too long.

We have a 30 Remington, and I haven’t ever seen the ammo on a shelf somewhere ever. Looks like it’s available online for about $3/shell, and probably should buy some while it’s still around.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I dont personally own one but 30 super carry seems like a caliber that should fit in here. Just seems like a 9mm makes more sense.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Look into shooting 38-55 ammo out of the 375 win, I think you can. I think the 375 win is a little higher pressured, but essentially the same as the 38-55. I looked into it as i was going to buy a Marlin in the caliber a while ago but slept on it too long and someone bought it.

This is the 1st time I’ve ever heard of this. I’ll have to do some research into it.
    Thanks !!!!

After doing a little research it looks like you are correct. Although the cost of the 38-55 is rather high as well, its looks like it is more readily available.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steven Krapfl wrote:</div>
    Randy Wieland wrote:

Yeah, that and the 30 Remington didn’t make it too long.

We have a 30 Remington, and I haven’t ever seen the ammo on a shelf somewhere ever. Looks like it’s available online for about $3/shell, and probably should buy some while it’s still around.

Yeah, the only thing I can think of for the 32 and 30 Remington is to get 35 Rem brass and resize and load, I don’t think they’ll be making ammo for those calibers in a while.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steven Krapfl wrote:</div>

This is the 1st time I’ve ever heard of this. I’ll have to do some research into it.
    Thanks !!!!

After doing a little research it looks like you are correct. Although the cost of the 38-55 is rather high as well, its looks like it is more readily available.

Yup. It is still hard to find, but out there. My local Scheels has some of the Winchester Whitetail 38-55 ammo. I picked up a couple boxes to shoot with my Winchester 1894 in 38-55 and it is good stuff.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Cool hearing about calibers/cartridges I’m unfamiliar with!

grpubl7
    Central WI

If you folks with the 375 Win are handloaders, I have cases and lots of .379″ dia hard cast lead projectiles, both hard cast lead and hard cast lead w/gas check.

Loved that caliber, but was forced to part with my Ruger #1 that was custom-barreled in that caliber. The Shilen barrel had a bore dia of .3750/.3755, but the loaded round just barely fit the loaded .379″ loaded round in the chamber. A .380″ loaded round would not fit and the tight/concentric .379″ round in the chamber is where the accuracy was at. It would shoot one hole patterns at 50yds and consistent 1-3/8″ groups at 100yds.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’m addicted to “non-standard” 1911 chamberings. Started with 10MM, which I hand load. Also run .460 Rowland and am set up to load that but haven’t done much of it yet. Really badly want a Coonan .357. Also looking at potential for 9×25 dillon. It’s all so much more fun than .45 AARP )

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Reviewing the discussion, looking at the 30/32 Remington comments, I’m wondering how well the new 360 Buckhammer will do, especially if the 400 Legend sees daylight.

Jimmy Jones

220 Swift and 257 Roberts are a couple of great oldies that still have a place amongst all of these new offerings. Back many years when fox were a good money maker I hunted them with 50 grain solids moving at around 4250 out of the barrel. I’d head shoot them and they’s give a twitch and that was it with zero damage to the hide.

The 257 Roberts I had never went hunting with me but it shot lights out at the range to two hundred yards. I could have stretched that to about 400 but never did.

Both of these were pre-64 Winchester Model 70’s, made when quality still meant something. At one time I had seven of the pre-64s from the Swift to a Safari Grade .458. The .458 was a fun gun to shoot.

the_hat
    SE Metro

“Really badly want a Coonan .357. Also looking at potential for 9×25 dillon. It’s all so much more fun than .45 AARP ”

Still looking for or want a .357 Coonan? My Dad has a Model A and a Model B that he is looking to sell. The “A” has never been shot, new in box
    The “B” has been shot a handful of times.

PM me if you are interested. Located in SE metro area.

robby
    Quad Cities

Randy, Have you checked to see if Norma manufactures that round? Sometimes they have and still make older obscure rounds. And it is decent ammo.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I think the 17 WSM was a waste, too much for small game at close range and not accurate enough at long range. The 17 Hornady Hornet is a bit faster and is much more accurate being a centerfire

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I think the 17 WSM was a waste, too much for small game at close range and not accurate enough at long range. The 17 Hornady Hornet is a bit faster and is much more accurate being a centerfire

I’ve certainly had my frustrations with the 17wsm. 75yds is the max zero. Tumbling takes over from there. Granted, that zero is tight and the energy is strong enough to take on just about any pest that wants to test it, but I wanted a longer range rimfire for prairie dogs.

I almost got into 17 Hornet but held back.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I know some don’t like scoping lever action rifles, but I think this turned out nicely!

Attachments:
    1. Nevada-2-scaled.jpg

snelson223
    Austin MN

The problem now days is most hunting rifles aren’t twisted fast enough to take advantage of the long skinny bullets we’re seeing today. The 6.5 creed was arguably the first to do this, hence its success thus far. The 6.5 creed on its own is fairly anemic but it comes from the factory twisted to utilize long slippery bullets that slip the wind much better.

.25-06
    .22-250 (especially this) 75gr eld or Amax at 3300 fps is an absolute hammer!
    Etc
    Etc
    Could all benefit from being twisted just a bit faster.

I think the 22 Creedmoor would be your answer for a 22 cal rifle to shoot those long skinny bullets.

mnmarlin

Personally I don’t see the .400 Legend doing much – there is the .444 Marlin (I’m a huge fan, but it never set the world on fire), .45-70, the ancient .405 Winchester, .375 Winchester already in the same class. I suppose its short enough for the straight wall states, but how much of a market is there in those 3-4 states?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.