1/2 Ton Trucks – 6.5ft box will soon be gone (I assume)

• bigstorm
    Southern WI

All of my trucks have been some version of a 1/2 ton with a 6.5ft box. The latest was a 2014 crew cab F150. Being used to the 6.5ft box and having to load my stuff into a 5.5ft box is just tough to be honest (have done it when traveling with other people). For ice fishing, my Otter flip over fits with plenty of room in a 6.5ft box, in a 5.5ft box, you have to slam the tailgate. My ATV fits in the back of a 6.5ft box with the tailgate up (which I prefer) versus the 5.5ft box

Fast forward to last weekend. Wife saw a commercial that Ford was doing 1.9% for remaining 2023 F150s (excluding King Ranch, Platinum, Tremor and Raptor I believe). The Ford website allows you to do a search of all inventory for dealers within whatever distance from your location you want.

I am very specific on what I want although I didnt think it would be that uncommon. Must haves were Crew cab, 6.5 box, locking rear differential, 4×4, 3.5 Ecoboost motor and no leather seats.

Out of 900+ F150s within 150mi, there was only 4 that had the 6.5ft box, 2 were higher end models that had leather. I was very surprised at the lack of crew cab 6.5ft box trucks. Makes me wonder if next time I shop, I would have to go up to a 3/4 ton just to get a crew cab with the 6.5ft?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I think alot of people are sick of short boxes. The amount of 3/4 ton long boxes I see these days is crazy. People started to realize short box trucks suck. To bad there isn’t a option for a 1/2 ton long box.
    I still figured the 6.5 was a easy find but I may be wrong

B-man

With 90% of people using their trucks as grocery-getter commuters 99% of the time it makes sense.

If you want something different you’ll just have to order it waytogo

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The figures you posted tell me that either the dealers don’t order the 6.5′ box or they are popular and sell out first. I don’t think Ford cares what they build. They will build what the buying public demands.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

No shortage of 6.5 boxes, but the crew cab (I think Ford calls super crew?) and 6.5 box combo is always a huge pain to locate unless buying 3/4 ton.

It represents the longest wheelbase config available in half to and that’s probably why they don’t pump them out by the millions. You can always have a dealer order one.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

F150 Supercrew 3.5 with a 6.5’ box and Max Tow package will be my next truck regardless of where I have to go to get it. I’d suspect Ford doesn’t make that many as others have said most trucks today haul groceries and kids. It’s the best 1/2 ton package for towing available today.

We’ve got a couple older diesels with plows and long boxes for pulling larger stuff around the buildings and plowing that are far from fancy and don’t leave close to home, so the F150 has been perfect for a tritoon, fishing boat, covered and utility trailers, and so on while also being a daily driver.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Unless you get lucky and find what you want on a lot you have to order one with the 6.5FT box.

Sylvanboat

We bought an F350 diesel to tow our new 5th wheel. With sliding hitch we bought the short bed truck. A long bed would not fit in my garage. At campgrounds we visit, most trucks are short beds.

OG Net_Man

The paved world is not designed around the bumper to bumper length of a crew cab with a box longer than 5.5′.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

With 90% of people using their trucks as grocery-getter commuters 99% of the time it makes sense.

If you want something different you’ll just have to order it waytogo

^^^^ This

CaptainMusky

Half ton crews with a 6.5 box have been always in short supply. I have owned them since 2015 and while there may have been at that time 100 short box on the lot, they may have had 5 6.5 boxes. The 6.5 box wont go away because it has never been that plentiful and I dont see it any different now.

MX1825

I asked 2 Chevy dealers why they don’t have more CC with 6.5 boxes. The answer from both was the factory only allows them to order a limited number compared to total truck sales. I asked what the ratio was and they would not say.
    Most 6.5 boxes you see are on the high end trim packages.
    The factory claims this is what sells. Well if that is all you got to sell what is a customer supposed to buy? doah

CaptainMusky

Most 6.5 boxes you see are on the high end trim packages.
    The factory claims this is what sells. Well if that is all you got to sell what is a customer supposed to buy?

Yep, if they ever were to eliminate the 6.5 box from a crew cab I would either get the double cab or an HD. No chance I have having that little box.

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

I’m in the 6-1/2′ bed club myself. I’d never own a short box but the 6-1/2s are hard to find in stock. That’s one reason I’ve never bought a vehicle from the same place…ever. I search dealer inventory and go where what I want is on the lot. Last time I bought a truck, I tried to have a transfer done to get the one I wanted brought in from a different local dealer. Of course in that case the dealer with the truck refused to give it up. I’m planning on a new one this summer and I’m thinking I’ll just have to order it.

CaptainMusky

Order one it’s not as painful when I ordered mine. You won’t have to wait 13 months like I did.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I was looking today.
    Dealer said 6 1/2’s can be found but easier in black or white colors.

Why not leather seats?

Why Max Tow pkg over just the standard Tow pkg?

Saw 1 today with a leveling kit, 20″ Fuel rims, Nitto Tires, cat skin leather pkg. Ohhh did it look nice. I for sure want the leveling kit and better wheels and tires.
    It had the 3.5 hybrid which I’d rather have the 3.5 eco.

CaptainMusky

Max tow in a half ton is unnecessary all you do is rob mpg. If someone really tows that much they shouldn’t get a half ton in the first place.

catnip
    south metro

That’s what happens when it’s illegal for the kids to ride in the bed. If ya could still put em in the back ya wouldn’t need 4 doors and you could still have a real truck with an 8′ bed like mine. It sure is nice being able to shut the tailgate on a piece of plywood.

queenswake
    NULL

As others have said, dealers don’t order many with the 6.5 ft box to sit on the lot. Most guys who want one order their truck.

The problem I saw when I was looking a few years ago is that dealers that did order the 6.5 ft bed did so with the top trim and was super expensive.

I also think that there are more 6.5 ft beds sold in Canada, based on what I’ve seen in the used truck market and where the trucks came from.

I also think that more people would want the 6.5 ft box, but most people don’t even know that this option exists since every other truck they see has the shorter box.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Max tow in a half ton is unnecessary all you do is rob mpg. If someone really tows that much they shouldn’t get a half ton in the first place.

36 gallon tank is a major plus.

You can get the Max Tow package with either a 3.55 rear end or a 3.73 in my understanding…so the MPG would likely not be a measurable difference.

I think there’s something different with the rear bumper design too?

I know you can get the larger mirrors on other packages as you wish, but assume they’re a standard part of the max tow package.

Timmy

I still haven’t gotten used referring to a 6.5’ box as a “long box”. When i was growing up, there were regular and short boxes. And the only time yu saw anything other than a regular cab was on a work vehicle that had to haul a crew of guys.

CaptainMusky

The funny thing is the 6.5 box is called the standard bed by GM but it’s not standard lol

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I understand I could have ordered exactly what I want, but then it would be a 2024 and not qualify for the low finacing rate. The rate is what made me look more seriously versus waiting until later this year and I didnt want to gamble and wait until March of next year when they offer incentives on the 2024s as the truck I was driving had 180k and would need tires and brakes before next March.

I was just very surprised at the lack of crew cab trucks with the 6.5ft box.

B-man

I understand I could have ordered exactly what I want, but then it would be a 2024 and not qualify for the low finacing rate. The rate is what made me look more seriously versus waiting until later this year and I didnt want to gamble and wait until March of next year when they offer incentives on the 2024s as the truck I was driving had 180k and would need tires and brakes before next March.

I was just very surprised at the lack of crew cab trucks with the 6.5ft box.

Talk to your dealer, they should be able to rob another truck from a different dealer at little or no cost to you (at least that’s been my experience).

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Already bought the new one, got lucky that the couple I was considering were within an hour of home for me

haleysgold
    SE MN

Already bought the new one, got lucky that the couple I was considering were within an hour of home for me

No pics??!!
    C’mon man!
    OK, I gotta have the specs.
    Very curious what you bought.

Congrats on the new ride!

MX1825

Glad you found a truck. Congrats!

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Thanks. Pics will be coming soon. Found a 2023 F150 Sport Crew cab (supercrew technically), 3.5 Eco, 6.5ft box, Max Tow package, elec locking 3.55 rear diff, color is Iconic Silver, black rims with 18in Goodyear Wrangler all terrain tires (so at least it doesnt have the 20in rims with cheaper street tires). Interior is black cloth. Also the dealer had already done the undercoating, paint protection and interior protection. Only thing left for me to do is a spray in bedliner and toneau cover (getting both on Thursday this week.

There is a person at the dealership that her entire job was to show people how to use their new vehicle thru your phone and also thru all of the various screens and settings on the inside. She sat in the truck with me for 30min going thru everything, not sure how much I actually retained, but at least I remember how to start it, stop it and drive it lol

haleysgold
    SE MN

Sounds SWEET!

Couple questions if you don’t mind.

Did you consider the Leveling kit?
    Which Tonneau cover? Did you consider a Diamondback?
    What model? XLT?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.