Which Jon boat

• Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

would you choose?

2014 Crestliner 1756 Retriever with a 60hp Mercury ELHPT 4S
    or
    2014 ALUMACRAFT MV-1756 with a 50hp Yamaha F50LA

Both rigs would be new and never used.
    Near as I can tell, they both look like very good boats & motors.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The Yamaha and which ever boat you attach it to

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

The Yamaha and which ever boat you attach it to

That would have been my initial reaction but after doing some research, I can’t really find anyone saying bad things about a 4 stoke Mercury is that 50-60hp range.
    Those that own a Merc, they generally all seem to love them.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If skinny water why so big on the motor? Less gas mileage, not gonna troll down all that well if need be, and heavier.

Either way seems like either choice is a winner so show some pics when you choose!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

If skinny water why so big on the motor? Less gas mileage, not gonna troll down all that well if need be, and heavier.

4 strokes on a 17′ boat. I don’t really see myself doing a ton of trolling but if need be, I’ll throw out a drift sock. I need to be able to haul at least 3 people my size. (215 lbs)
    Mostly, I need to be able to access different area’s on the river which I have no chance of getting to in my Skeeter.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

War Eagles boats are terrific skinny water fishing boats. Having the ability to customize the boat to your fishing needs is also a huge plus. SBC has plenty of them in stock and would be willing to take you on a test ride.

Current Stock

Also a video of Ben Brettingen fly fishing for muskies in some skinny water with a War Eagle and Yamaha Jet motor
    Skinny Waters Muskie

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

War Eagles are without a doubt an excellent choice.
    Probably would have been my first choice but they also
    cost more and in the long run, I’m not sure it will be
    worth it for how I intend to use it.
    I drove several hours out of my way to buy my Skeeter
    from the dealer and person I wanted to work with.
    This rig will not get used near as often as my Skeeter
    and in this case, I prefer to buy locally.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

C-liner is all welded. A-craft is rivets. Had a C-liner 1448 and popped a weld. Easy, cheap fix. If you pop a rivet on the A-craft, same deal, not a big issue to fix. Assuming both have the same hull thickness, and you like the general layout I’d take the A-craft with the Yammie.

-J.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Jon – I checked and the alumacraft is all welded as well.

Its looking a lot like a horse a piece to me.

dbright
    Cambridge

Between the two I would go with the Alumacraft.

Depending on what you are looking for in a Jon boat. You can have can have alweld, blazer,and seaark build just about anything you want. Which depending on how carried away you get is usually much cheaper then the mass produced hulls.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Other considerations. Trailer, spare, other rigging extras. (Batteries, tie downs, lights) Dealer you like. Ease of warranty repairs. Don’t forget a free hat!!

On the trailer. I would want a galvanized roller. Galvanized for winter (road salt) use and roller for shallow launches and so your boat is never frozen to the bunks on below freezing mornings.

Good luck. Can’t wait to get my next jon boat. Spending all my extra cash on the cabin right now.

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have a 16′ polar craft with the modified V bow. One thing Im not crazy about is the way that MV lets the front end settle in the water. When fishing alone from the front the back end is way up. Same thing when climbing into the boat from shore. Step on the front and it settles way into the water. Nothing a younger guy cant deal with but getting some older people in the boat it can through them off balance pretty fast. Being in a true flat bottom like Dbrights that front end seems a lot more stable. Not sure if all MV jons are like this or if the extra length may help with it.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

This rig will not get used near as often as my Skeeter
    and in this case, I prefer to buy locally.

If this is the case. Have you thought of buying used? I personally am a fan of the older Roughnecks.

FDR

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

FDR – we’ve looked at used and already made the decision to buy new instead.

One thing Im not crazy about is the way that MV lets the front end settle in the water. When fishing alone from the front the back end is way up. Same thing when climbing into the boat from shore. Step on the front and it settles way into the water. Nothing a younger guy cant deal with but getting some older people in the boat it can through them off balance pretty fast.

Good point Mike! That’s something I definitely did not consider and I’m not getting any younger either. Unfortunately, when it comes to boats, everything seems to be a trade off. You can buy a boat that does specific things well, but the side effect is that it won’t do very well in another area. I just want to end up with something that does what I want without sacrificing to much on the other end.

Jon – a bunch of good points in your post to think about.

Thanks to all of you for posting your thoughts!

I’m looking forward to being able once again, fish and take advantage of those shallow water river locations that have evaded me for quite some time due to an inability to safely travel there by boat.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Boog, for what it may be worth, I don’t know that it is a brand question as both products you have mentioned have a solid reputation. Having shopped myself for many years with several brands, for me, the deciding factor was floor plan & floor plan option flexibility. No matter how well you pre-plan in your mind, there might be a good chance you might want to change it up once you actually use it. If you are looking at guiding applications, I would guess that you would several factors to consider versus the casual user.

Best of luck & have fun !

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Thanks Dean.
    Always appreciate your input.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

A boat that size and for the purpose you describe, I would personally strongly desire to have a tiller vs a console boat. The control and extra room would be why. That said you know what you want and why. I will offer to let you store it at my house being only a convenient 1/2 mile from the landing as long as you leave the keys too. ;) I sure miss my second boat I had for exactly that purpose. I used it alot running upstream from Hookers before it and other items fell victim to the dreaded divorce. Should dump my snowmobiles and get another one… many, many good times were had exploring upstream.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

A boat that size and for the purpose you describe, I would personally strongly desire to have a tiller vs a console boat.

Gary – you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that comment.
    Nancy and I are both looking forward to having the ability to explore upriver and down river area’s that I haven’t been to in many, many moons.

castle-rock-clown

So what is your preference, console or tiller? My preference is tiller as when in really sketchy water I can stand at the transom and visually back troll around hazards. Also it’s quicker to react with when caught in swift current. Lastly I like fishing the back of the boat and like the immediate access to my main motor. Trolling motors are nice, but usually no match for swift river currents. Finally, did you look at jet drive outboards? I will never go back to a prop motor on rivers like the Wisconsin, they seen to change hazard wise every year.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Now if you really want to be a jon boat nerd, ask the manufacturer if their aluminum channel is bent/braked or extruded (Extrusion usually being stronger and thicker…and heavier). I know GatorTrax boats uses extrusion and is probably my next and final jon boat. Otherwise, I have been drooling over an Excel hull as well. Also, having an 18 foot jon right now, I would probably prefer a 16 footer instead. That 18 is a little tough to turn around in the narrow areas of the MN River when the water is low. Besides, I don’t usually fish with more than one other person in the boat so a 2 seater is just fine with room for one child as well. I would also probably set mine up with a 25HP Yammy high thrust.

Could you explain the delta between these 2 types of fabrication in greater detail? Also what is the aluminum channel. Is this the peice of aluminum the reinforces the keel?
    If so Thanks,
    JOC

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

For a dedicated skinny water boat and if you’re buying new, I’d make that Yamaha a jet. Extra money up front, but then you have a boat that can handle water so skinny you can drive it around on your lawn in a heavy dew.

Grouse

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

So what is your preference, console or tiller?

My preference is a tiller. I also prefer a prop motor, not a jet.
    Basically, I’m trying to take advantage of a couple different river based walleye bites that I used to fish years ago. Bites that I no longer had good access to with my 18′ lund and even less access with my new 20′ Skeeter.
    This boat is not something that I intend to use a ton of through out the year but mainly right at first ice out and probably through out the winter when it gets warm enough for me to run over to the Wisconsin river. Of course I will also use it wherever and whenever an opportunity presents itself. (like winter fishing in the Milwaukee Harbor and other small rivers in northern Wisconsin)

Below is a picture of the rig Nancy & I bought. We’re both really looking forward to spending sometime in it.

2014 Crestliner 1756 Retriever Jon Deluxe

Attachments:
    1. 4730694_0_311219691600_1.jpg

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Nice ride, Boog!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Very nice! Looks to be pretty bare bones, what kind of accessories you plan on throwing on it for your skinny water explorations?

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Thanks Pete!

nhamm – the boat came with a galvanized trailer, spare tire, load guides, swing tonque, 2 seats, two storage compartments, starting battery, bilge pump, live well and live well pump, running lights, electric wiring for bow mount motor, transom saver, spare tire, 3 rod holders, gorilla coating and a nice inside/out camo paint job plus a full tank of gas.

I should have my LCX-27c sonar/gps rigged up in the next week or so.
    Also plan on mounting a 80# thrust Minn Kota Terrova w/I pilot on the bow, several good anchor tie downs, rod holders, another seat pedestal in the middle of the boat and splash guards on the back of the boat. Also thinking about a few more rod holders on the opposite side of the boat.
    Most of this work will be done this winter.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.