GMC AT4 6.2L vs 3.0 diesel

• haleysgold
    SE MN

I was picking John’s brain earlier. Thanks for the info!

Anybody have the Sierra 1500 AT4 with either of those engines?

Never owned a diesel so I know nothing about em.
    3.0 is a lot less HP than the 6.2L but torque is about the same. Mileage is much better with baby Duramax though.

Reports say the tranny issues in the 2024 models have been fixed but probably not a lot of them out there yet.

CaptainMusky

I dont have a AT4, but a Sierra SLT with the 6.2 and I absolutely love it! Buddy has a Silverado RST with the baby duramax and he LOVES it too. Mileage I am sure envious of. I can get around low 20’s if I drive decent on the highway but its too damn fun with the right pedal.

toddrun

2 buddies have the Chevy Trailboss with the 6.2L gas, both love them and said it is light years better than the 5.3. Have a friend that is a mechanic for a fleet and said the GM 6.6L gas is amazing. No info on the baby diesel, but looks interesting in print.

MX1825

A friend of mine has a Suburban with the 3.0 and loves it. Tows his 5 place snowmobile trailer and loves it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I was picking John’s brain earlier. Thanks for the info!

Always happy to help another member here. I will never own a diesel unless I’m towing something really heavy or towing all the time. Mostly because I can’t have my guys fix it if I need to.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

The belt maintinance is interesting on the babymax, take off the cab and remove the trans to get to it but that just seems to be the way things are today. Friend is on his 2nd one and he likes it but doesn’t keep them long enough to do the 100k maintinance.

mojo

Don’t forget to include fuel additives and higher cost per gallon when calculating mileage on the diesel.

haleysgold
    SE MN

The belt maintinance is interesting on the babymax, take off the cab and remove the trans to get to it but that just seems to be the way things are today. Friend is on his 2nd one and he likes it but doesn’t keep them long enough to do the 100k maintinance.

That, I didn’t know. Granted not until 100k but still.
    I know while looking at the GMC’s, they made a pile of em with the diesel.

wkw

I have a 2021 GMC AT4 with the 6.2 gas. I now have 97,000 miles on it and have no issues whatsoever. That motor has alot of BALLS! It’s like night and day from the 5.3 I had a couple trucks ago, and the mileage is not any different than the 5.3. I would never own a diesel. I hate the smell ! One drop of that on your pant leg lasts all day. Get a little on your carpet and you got it forever. The off road tires that came on it got replaced at 35,000 because of the noise and lack of traction on wet roads.

CaptainMusky

The belt maintinance is interesting on the babymax, take off the cab and remove the trans to get to it but that just seems to be the way things are today.

They did revise the engine for 2023 so I think the interval is longer but I agree that is a terrible design. I haven’t read many issues with it however. There were some growing pains the first year but those were quickly fixed.

CaptainMusky

The beauty of the baby Duramax is that I think it is less than the 6.2. Diesel prices aren’t bad now compared to unleaded. I wouldn’t hesitate to get one. I drove a used one and was very impressed. I was worried about my driving which is usually short trips but my buddy says it’s not a problem. Also when it has to Regen the def system some vehicles you can’t stop for like 50 miles but not with this one it will do a partial Regen.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Stay away from the 3.0, I see videos all the time on YouTube Car repair channels I watch and they say the 3.0 is crap and has problems all the time. Dave’s Automotive is a good one out of Utah, he runs a motor repair shop out there.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d prefer the 6.2L if it was my truck.

CaptainMusky

I’d prefer the 6.2L if it was my truck.

It sure is fun! At the time I ordered my truck I was doing TONS of research and was set on getting the diesel and my buddy talked me out of it. Then I found out during the whole Covid fiasco that GM had to stop production of 6.2s due to part shortages. So I called my salesman and asked if I could switch to the diesel. He calls me back and says I have news on your truck, its built! HA!
    The same buddy who talked me out of getting the diesel ended up buying it and he has not had one single complaint about it. No long crank issues ever, no turbo issues with loose bolts, oil leaks or anything. Yes there are problems, but they are not that common from what I have seen. Some of them can be a bugger to fix however.

Red Reno

I had a 2017 Chevy with the 6.2 in it and absolutely loved it. Good power both empty and pulling my 621. Mileage was around 8-10 pulling at 65-70 mph, you get above that and it was bad. I have always contemplated a diesel but didn’t want to give up the 1/2 ton ride and everything else that goes with that. I bought a ’23 3.0 a few months ago and cannot say enough good things about it. Still have the 1/2 ride and maneuverability in parking lots and tight spaces and the power towing at highway speeds is awesome. I love to set the cruise and forget it. I have around 15k on it now and 2k of that was towing the boat. The only dig I can say is when you are towing, it drinks the DEF like crazy. My son still has my 6.2 truck, because I couldn’t stand to get rid of it because it is an awesome truck, but for mileage in town and on the highway this duramax blows the 6.2 away.

CaptainMusky

I had a 2017 Chevy with the 6.2 in it and absolutely loved it. Good power both empty and pulling my 621. Mileage was around 8-10 pulling at 65-70 mph, you get above that and it was bad.

Granted I have a 10 speed and yours was the 6. I was getting 16mpg pulling my 19′ boat at 74mph in cruise last summer and it never shifted. I was passing porsches on hwy 10.

Red Reno

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Red Reno wrote:</div>
    I had a 2017 Chevy with the 6.2 in it and absolutely loved it. Good power both empty and pulling my 621. Mileage was around 8-10 pulling at 65-70 mph, you get above that and it was bad.

Granted I have a 10 speed and yours was the 6. I was getting 16mpg pulling my 19′ boat at 74mph in cruise last summer and it never shifted. I was passing porsches on hwy 10.

My 17 had the 8 speed tranny in it. Still a great truck and I would buy another.

CaptainMusky

My 17 had the 8 speed tranny in it. Still a great truck and I would buy another.

Did you have any of the issues that plagued the 8spd? Like not going into 8th gear? Just curious. I never had one myself.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Im on my second 6.2 and like others have said its actually got enough zip to be fun driving. I am at 108K and it still rocks.

CaptainMusky

If you run e85 in them you get like 30 more wheel hp too. I’m skiddish of that though since my last truck freaked out when I ran it and I almost had to have it towed. Once the computer figures it out it’s fine but holy Hannah I had lights and it wouldn’t run right. It takes like 10 miles for it to figure it out I’m told

MX1825

If you run e85 in them you get like 30 more wheel hp too. I’m skiddish of that though since my last truck freaked out when I ran it and I almost had to have it towed. Once the computer figures it out it’s fine but holy Hannah I had lights and it wouldn’t run right. It takes like 10 miles for it to figure it out I’m told

Had cars that ran fine on e85 but had problems when switching back to regular. Made them hard to start.

robby
    Quad Cities

How could any motor be any more reliable than a Chevy 5.3?

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I have a 21 AT4 with the Babymax. Love it. Just went over 100,000 miles. Not sure on this belt change. My dealership said nothing about that for the 100,000 mile service. I get 22-23 mpg around town. About the same driving 85 to Montana. If I keep it under 75, I can get 26 mpg. Towing 4 atvs across North Dakota and Montana at 85, I get 10-12 mpg. 14 mpg towing my 18′ Larson to LOTW.

I had a 21 Trail Boss with the 6.2 for about 4 months. 13 mpg around town. 15 mpg at 85. 8-9 mpg towing 4 atvs at 85. 10 mpg towing my 18′ Larson to LOTW. I put 4000 miles on it, and the lifters went out. My previous 5.3 had the lifters go at 50,000 miles as well. I don’t trust the GM gassers anymore.

I spoke with my buddy this week who is service manager at a large local metro Chevrolet dealership asking him if he’d steer me to a Babymax or 6.2. He said he plans on his next vehicle being a Babymax. Less problems than the 6.2.

There’s my 2 cents

haleysgold
    SE MN

Thanks for all the info guys!

I’m probably more confused than ever now. roll

I should play it safe and get a Ridgeline.

LabDaddy1

I should play it safe and get a Ridgeline.

Preposterous!

Oh wait, I guess it is 4/20 after all..

CaptainMusky

I have a 21 AT4 with the Babymax. Love it. Just went over 100,000 miles. Not sure on this belt change.

I would recommend talking to your service advisor about belt replacement. Back in the day they always said timing belts had to be changed at 100k but many went over 200k. Not sure it’s the case with this however. Also ask if they can retrofit the upgrade they did in 2023. Not sure it’s possible or how spendy but it’s supposed to go longer than 100k.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Realize that I am not answering your question. – I owned 3 previous Dodge RAM trucks – 2 2500 3/4 ton and my last was a long box extended – when asked why RAM, I bought the Cummins diesel motor ….now only wish it had an Allison transmission.

kidfish

Do you guys with the 6.2L use the 91 octane gas? I thought that’s what you needed to use with that motor?

CaptainMusky

Do you guys with the 6.2L use the 91 octane gas? I thought that’s what you needed to use with that motor?

I have never used 91. I believe its recommended, but I have not ever used it. Seems to run fine. I do run 88 every now an again though.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I have a 6.2 in mine, and I only run 91. If you tow much you can get pinging, just driving around town or down the highway, and you’ll never notice a difference. Honestly, you likely won’t notice a difference towing as well.

But I have also been around a few torn down 6.2s that ran on 87 and you will see pitting in the cylinders, nothing too significant, in most cases. The motor will try and correct itself with added fuel to help prevent pinging. But, it can only correct so much.

An L86 has a compression ratio of 11.5:1. I find it kind funny GM doesn’t require 91 with that compression. Of course you can play with timing and fuel mapping to help with running lower octane, but again that can only go so far.

That said, you will not see much of a gain in HP running 91 over 87. The motor will pull timing and add fuel, so you will lose some HP running 87, but it will not be significant, maybe 8-10RWHP.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.