Slow Pulse for me on P2

• procor
    Mounds View, MN

Went out on pool 2 again. I hadn’t fished it for about a week and during the week, the river level dropped nearly another foot. I went and tried all my tried-n-true spots. Although we did hook into six eyes, the fishing was slower for me and took quite a bit of time re-learning what they want and where they liked to hang out again. Unless I fish it consistently, it is hard to for me to keep my finger on the pulse of what is going on out there. With the river slowing down it seams and levels slowly lowering, some current seams are harder to pick out. When trolling, say at 1.7mph on gps, if I slid out further from shore, I would find the speed slow to say, 1.5-1.6mph, and if I cut into shore, speed would increase to 1.8-2.0…given the same rpm. This was the only way for me to determine where the seam was…there were no bubbles, cotton, leaves, debris, etc or surface irregularity to visually see the seam…at least this was the way in some of the spots I fished. Other spots it was easier to see the seam. Nonetheless, after a while, the first fish was accidentally hooked in deeper water when I wasn’t paying attention and slipped into deeper water. One of those ‘look what I found’ hookups. But, this is where this speed decrease was noted. It was tougher fishing…time to stop messing around with trolling and start more pitching as I saw quite a few marks associating more with WDs…back out on Friday.

Ron S

I Only fished P 2 once years ago so don’t know much about it. I was down on Pepin Last Monday Saw lots of marks on the D-finder but I ran into a serious case of lock jaw. Mostly pulled cranks, switched to 3 ways and crawlers with the same results. I ran 5′ to 14 FOW, water temp around mid 70’s per D-finder

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Thanks for the update, Procor! This is one of the longest summertime stretches that I haven’t fished Pool-2 in quite some time. Looking at the flow, we should be about right for typical summertime patterns to work.

I think I need to take a break from the Croix and head back to Pool-2 for a change.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for the update. Might be out for a while on Friday to.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was pleasantly surprised at what P3 had to offer last night but then again I don’t exclusively target walleyes like most of you guys.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I was out on P-2 Last evening trying to fish wing dams.We caught several croakers,sheepshead,and one of the Prettiest suckers I have seen.I have never seen one with such bright rea fins, I should have taken a picture of it.
    Anyways, we fished the front of the wing dams and were unable to locate any walleyes. So I have a question for all you wing dam warriors.
    When you are catching the rough fish on wing dams, is there another part of the dam that you would move to and try to locate the walleyes, or do you just move to another dam?

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I was out on P-2 Last evening trying to fish wing dams.We caught several croakers,sheepshead,and one of the Prettiest suckers I have seen.I have never seen one with such bright rea fins, I should have taken a picture of it.
    Anyways, we fished the front of the wing dams and were unable to locate any walleyes. So I have a question for all you wing dam warriors.
    When you are catching the rough fish on wing dams, is there another part of the dam that you would move to and try to locate the walleyes, or do you just move to another dam?

Sometimes the walleyes will hang right with the rough fish, but if you’re fishing bait you’ll have a hard time sifting through the roughies to catch the walleyes. Try a crankbait if you want to stay put, but I usually head to a different dam. That said, I don’t always hate catching rough fish. It’s kind of fun every once in a while!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

You could do either one or like what John said try throwing something different at them if you are feeling the walleyes are there. If you are not feeling the spot move on.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Yep, it just might be a dam that has more junk fish than eyes. Also, try and slip out further towards the dam tip where there might be more flow. Although some eyes will linger behind the dam, most will be on the front side/face of the dam…

I was out on Saturday and had the ladies with, so we just stuck to pulling cranks. It was HOT, with little wind. Once we found what they wanted, they were will willing to bite. It was still slower that what I was hoping for, but still landed 4 with a 25″er being the biggest. Seems like the current seams with a decent break line associated with it was the key for us…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.