Rear deck options on walleye rigs?

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

This last weekend really sent me off on a tail spin thinking about boats. I’ve been living in a bass boat since 1990, and since then, my needs have been changing. Last year I came so close to dropping my money on a Skeeter 20I and then went back to thinking out having a Mako or Skeeter flats boat. I fished in Florida out of both the Skeeter and Mako and equally liked them both.
    Now, after spending yet another weekend in a walleye rig I’m seeing more applications that is pulling me in that direction. The majority of fishing I do is casting and jigging and a bassboat has been the best suited tool for my needs. However, I’m getting this itch to get back into trolling after 20+ years and could see having a rig that is more versatile. For me, the huge draw back on the walleye rigs is the rear deck. I know ranger has had factory options for a rear deck. What about Skeeter or Stratos? I’ve done a few google searches and haven’t really found anything I like. Is making a custom deck my true only option?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Randy

The Skeeter MX 2025 you fished out of this weekend has a factory option for a drop-in rear deck extension. I didn’t have mine installed for this last trip since we would be trolling but I use it when fishing bass or muskie as it turns that back deck into a dance floor. The next time I get in my boat I’ll shoot you some pics. I think it might be exactly what you’re looking for.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I’m not sure if my Stratos has an option for a rear deck extension or not. I never investigated that as I never saw a need for a bigger rear deck with the way I fish. I can certainly check with them if you want.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Randy,
    My rig also has an option for a drop in platform. Here’s a picture of a boat same model and about the same year as mine with it in.

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery.jsp?entityid=112150971&mid=1715&galleryBack=%2Fboat-details%2FJavelin-21msx%2F112150971%3Fr%3D112150971%26entityid%3D112150971&pic=9

This rig was once for sale in WI but I went to Indy to get the one I have ($$$ issue)

I just really like the versatility and size of this rig to go into big water and feel good about being there. I also fish the Mississippi River backwaters quite a bit. can slip into 1.5 – 2 foot water (gently)….and yet this big powered rig can get up and get it. I’m chicken, and can honestly say after 55mph(gps) I have no idea what top is but I bet I was close…..I felt good spending $10K+ versus $25 to $35K…..
    just my .05$ worth )

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Randy, There are numerous shots of the deck extension in during this video, but it is discussed right after the 2 minute mark.

FryDog62

Skeeter would be top of my list too, awesome rear deck. And the Tuffy x-190 has a large removable rear deck option too. At 19′-4″ the x-190 weighs only 1300 pounds…kind of a walleye/bass hybrid boat.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I built one for my old boat, and now need to build one for my new boat. Triton, Ranger, Skeeter, Lund all have some type of rear casting deck option. They are huge and stable in the roughest of waves.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.