Picking the right prop – Skeeter MX 2025

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve been a proud owner of a MX 2025 for a second season now and I’ve had the chance to do some prop testing that I thought I would share with everyone. I should point out that this info would potentially be useful to other boaters in general principal but it should be noted that my testing has been done on a MX 2025 with a 300 Yamaha Off-Shore outboard.

As anyone that’s messed around with props will tell you, any choice you make is going to be a compromise. A “speed” prop, one that gives you the best top end speed at wide open throttle (WOT) when running light loads, is unlikely to be a top choice if you’re running with heavy loads in big water.

I’m not one to be all that concerned with top speed. I want control in big waves and the ability to move heavy loads as I often carry 3 people plus myself and a lot of gear. While top speed numbers seem to get all the press, when you’re on big water you’re rarely if ever presented with the opportunity to drop the hammer for a WOT run. In that scenario I find myself spending most of my time running at 13 – 25 mph. 2 – 4 foot waves just don’t allow for much more speed unless you’re willing to beat yourself, passengers and gear unnecessarily.

I started my testing running a 20 pitch Turbo 1. http://www.turbo-props.com/products/turbo-1-series_t1s

This prop gave me the best top speed numbers of any prop tested and the hole shot was very, very good. As soon as you hit the throttle the boat lunges forward with very minimal bow rise. Mid-range acceleration is good, but not great. At 6000 RPM this prop will regularly produce top speeds of 60 – 61.8 MPH under ideal conditions (light chop, light load). When running on plane with this prop the boat sits very flat to the water with little bow lift. If all I fished was smaller bodies of water where 2+ foot waves were unlikely and my loads would be kept light (2-3 anglers + gear) this would be the prop to have.

It is on big water where the 20 Turbo 1 just didn’t seem to be doing the job I needed it to do. As I noted, mid-range acceleration with the Turbo 1 was fairly mediocre. Of course I didn’t realize how mediocre it was until I started trying other props! The Turbo 1 also provided very little bow lift which is incredibly important in big water. When running the Turbo 1 I had a hard time lifting my bow and keeping it up between waves. Also, acceleration up and over waves seemed to be slower than it should have been given I have 300 HP ready and waiting at the touch of the throttle. Overall in big water I’d give the 20 Turbo 1 pretty low marks.

So I started playing around with props. Skeeter Boat Center is close to me and has a nice prop loaner program that makes this kind of testing possible.

My first round of testing looking for an ideal “big water” prop started with the 21 pitch Saltwater Series II Yamaha prop. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/powermatched/2010_prop_pdfs/Yamaha_Propeller_Descriptions.pdf

Here’s the description of the Saltwater II from the manufacturer’s literature –

“Aggressive rake and extra cupping on the blades provides superior mid-range fuel efficiency, along with excellent anti-ventilation characteristics. For offshore fishermen, that translates to longer cruising range and better handling in rough seas.”

The first thing I noticed when running the 21 Saltwater II was a slower hole shot due to the increase in cupping and the increase in pitch from 20 to 21. When running an average load (2 anglers + gear and fuel) it was more than adequate but definitely not as fast as the Turbo 1. Where I immediately noticed a difference was in the mid-range throttle response! Once on plane the 21 Saltwater II is a rocket ship. When you touch the throttle you GO! Where the Turbo 1 felt like it was slipping at mid-range resulting in mediocre throttle response the 21 Saltwater II felt like I was being shot out of a cannon any time I requested more power from the 300 Off-Shore! Bow lift and control was noticeably improved as I was able to hold the bow high coming off waves versus losing control of it after each big wave when running the Turbo 1. My MX 2025 also seemed to ride higher in the water at the transom due to the addition lift being created by the switch to the 21 Saltwater II. Top speed numbers were very comparable to the Turbo 1 with the 21 Saltwater II hitting the 59 – 60 MPH mark any time I had opportunity to take it for a WOT run.

My next move was to test the 19 pitch Saltwater II. I was headed to Lake Superior this last weekend to do some laker fishing with a couple friends and we were expecting to have to deal with some big water. As I’m never, ever, able to make high speed runs on this body of water due to the wave height, I wasn’t concerned with potential loss of top end speed with this prop. More often than not I’m running sub-25 MPH on this body of water so what I wanted was a prop that would provide as much bow lift and mid-range throttle response as possible.

The 19 Saltwater II did not disappoint. In fact, I found some other benefits I didn’t expect, in addition to the bow lift and mid-range throttle response I was seeking.

The 19 Saltwater II provided a very strong hole shot as most would expect. I was carrying 3 big guys, a 100# cooler, 24 gallons of gas in cans + a full tank of fuel in the belly of the MX 2025, my trout and salmon box which weighs approximately 80#… and full camping gear for 3. If you can envision a cross between a fishing boat and Sanford and Sons’ junk yard truck… you’ve got the idea. We were loaded to the gunnels! So when I hit the throttle I was expecting a slug out of the hole. What I got was a hole shot on par with the 21 Saltwater II at light load! I also experienced incredible control in 2 – 4 foot waves that I just wasn’t seeing with the 20 turbo 1 or the 21 Saltwater II. Bow lift was incredible due to the increased RPMs at a given speed and the aggressive cupping made for a rock solid feel to my ability to control the bow in between waves.

The lift at the transom felt similar to what I was experiencing with the 21 Saltwater II. Some other things I noticed were my minimum planing speed dropped from 13 – 15 mph to 11 – 12 mph. That might not seem like much but when the transom of your boat starts to “sink” between each wave instead of staying on plane that forces the driver to hammer down on the throttle. This move can produce the desired effect of getting back fully on plane, or, what happens often is the burst of speed results in a couple rough impacts with waves before the driver is able to settle back into full control. That scenario just didn’t happen with the 19 Saltwater II.

My running speed in rough conditions increased significantly with the 19 Saltwater II over other props due to the incredible bow control and this improved handling characteristic only became more pronounced once we offloaded all our extra weight and limited ourselves to normal fishing gear. Instead of running 14 – 19 mph in big waves I found I was able to pick up the pace a bit and run 18 – 25 mph in complete control and comfort.

I also saw a huge improvement in fuel consumption with the 19 Saltwater II. I normally see 2.2 – 2.5 mpg when running in big water carrying similar loads with the 20 Turbo 1. With the 19 Saltwater II I was seeing 2.8 – 3.5 mpg and I rarely had to put the hammer down to counter a big wave which makes for a very smooth ride for the driver and passengers.

I only had one opportunity to test the 19 Saltwater II at anything approaching WOT due to the conditions on the lake. I was able to make one high speed run in a secluded bay where waves were running 0.5 foot or so. I was expecting a significant reduction in top end speed before hitting the rev-limiter. With a significantly smaller pitch prop that is one of the trade-offs, of course. Oddly, I was able to hit 55 MPH in my single WOT run with a few RPMs left to spare so even despite all the improvements in big water handling and improvements in fuel economy the 19 Saltwater II was no slouch when it came time to make a fast move.

My next step will be to test a 20 Saltwater II to see if I can find a sweet spot between big water handling and top end speed. If I can’t lay hands on one to test I’ll definitely be buying that 19 Saltwater II for big water use. The ride on the MX 2025 is very good in big water, even with the 20 Turbo 1, but when you add a prop with more aggressive cupping… the ride and handling gets much better. If you’re a MX 2025 owner and you frequent big water and / or carry heavy loads, you’ll want to consider doing some prop testing of your own. What can be gained, improved ride, big water handling and fuel economy, more than off-sets the loss of a few MPH at top speed and makes a very good boat even better!

I’ll report back if I can get my hands on 20 Saltwater II.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Great info!

Now if I could just get that kind of info for those of use who run a 200HPDI on the back end of our MX-2025.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What prop are you running now, Joel?

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I’ve owned four SST props in the last two years. Three were different so I need to double check tonight.
    I’ll take a look when I get home tonight.

Overall, the performance I’m seeing with my rig doesn’t seem bad. But then again, I’m not sure that I’ve had anything to compare it to.
    Hole shot seems fine and top end is about 49mph with just me in the boat.
    One thing I have noticed is that I can only achieve about 5700rpm’s.

If there’s a prop out there that can give me better mid-range performance without sacrificing hole shot and get better gas mileage, that’s something I would buy in a heart beat!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I’m currently running a Yamaha Reliance Series, 19m, 13-3/4″

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Have you ever looked to see how much motor you have in the water? Raising motor if needed could raise your RPMs up a bit. I’m running my HPDI about 5825rpms at WOT with a Yamaha Performance series M21. I’m also running a lot lighter boat in a WX1880.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Great info James. Thanks for sharing. I can relate to all your comments regarding rough water driving aand was thinking I needed to start some testing myself. My prop is a Turbo 1 21 pitch, and my minimum planing speed is around 22MPH, and optimal fuel usage is closer to 30 MPH. I was so happy to read your results with the saltwater II props and the increased bow lift and lower planning speeds. Thats just what I need for my Salmon trips.

I was also wondering how a 4 blade would work. When the SBC guys were testing my last boat for optimal heavy load/heavy water, they put on a 4 blade Turbo, and that made a huge difference in minimum planing speeds and economy, but really hurt top end. I’m curious if there would be a good 4 blade option for the 2025/300 combo….. It’s tough to get that testing done when living 2.5 to 3 hours from the big lakes.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m currently running a Yamaha Reliance Series, 19m, 13-3/4″

I see the Reliance series is offered in 15, 17, 18, 19 and 21 pitch. I would think the 18 would give you the extra RPMs to get you close to the 6,000 RPM redline and would likely improve your holeshot and midrange. I’d check with the guys at SBC Ramsey on this to see what their experience has been with those props. I’m sure they have some invaluable info to draw from.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Great info James. Thanks for sharing. I can relate to all your comments regarding rough water driving aand was thinking I needed to start some testing myself. My prop is a Turbo 1 21 pitch, and my minimum planing speed is around 22MPH, and optimal fuel usage is closer to 30 MPH. I was so happy to read your results with the saltwater II props and the increased bow lift and lower planning speeds. Thats just what I need for my Salmon trips.

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that the 20 Saltwater II is the prop for our boats. The 21 Turbo 1 you’re running now sounds like there’s lots of room for improvement in big water. Just the planing speed of 22 MPH alone would make handling in big water far more challenging than need be. I talked to the guys at SBC yesterday and they have a 20 Saltwater II for me to test on my next trip to Superior at the end of the month. I’ll update this thread after that trip.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have the Reliance 18 on my 1825 with the F150 motor and get just over 6k rpm’s, Holeshot is awesome and the shift dampener hub is an added bonus…I’ll give up 1-2 mph for the quicker holeshot any day…

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>to_setter wrote:</div>

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that the 20 Saltwater II is the prop for our boats. The 21 Turbo 1 you’re running now sounds like there’s lots of room for improvement in big water. Just the planing speed of 22 MPH alone would make handling in big water far more challenging than need be. I talked to the guys at SBC yesterday and they have a 20 Saltwater II for me to test on my next trip to Superior at the end of the month. I’ll update this thread after that trip.

It’s all about trade offs isn’t it?…. I don’t complain when I’m getting 3.8 MPG doing 32 MPH on flat water. Unfortunately, this means when fighting big waves I’m off plane and struggling getting 1-2 MPG all the way out to the Salmon grounds. I’m surely looking forward to your 20 P Saltwater II test. Again; thanks for sharing. You’re saving me and hopefully some other guys a lot of testing time and hassle. I sure appreciate it!

No pressure, but I’m as excited to hear a story about a 45+ inch Laker on your next trip as I am about your 20 P Saltwater II prop test….

gwood
    Murica

Do you think the saltwater series II would be a good alternative for a 1825 running the F200? Considering the biggest difference between boats is the additional 2 feet and your added 100hp and weight. I was thinking maybe that 19 saltwater series might be a good rough water prop for the 1825. Thoughts?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I highly doubt it Greg. I think that would be way too much prop for the xb 200 to turn in the optimum RPM range. We have been experimenting with prop options, and it seems like we just keep coming back to the 18 reliance.
    The 300 6 cyl offshore that James is running just has far more power range than the 4 cyl 200 xb.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@tosetter

@Boog

I got a chance to do a proper test with the 20 Pitch Saltwater II prop last week. Results were very, very favorable. I think this 20 pitch will be my new “everyday” prop as it offers a great balance between top end speed, bow lift and rough water handling characteristics.

Before I get rolling with my findings I should point out that the 20 Pitch Saltie II isn’t listed in some of Yamaha’s own literature. Trust me, the 20 pitch does exist. If you have issues finding one, just give the guys at Skeeter Boat Center a shout.
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/powermatched/2010_prop_pdfs/Yamaha_Propeller_Descriptions.pdf

As with the testing I did on the other props what I’m really looking for is a prop that will give me excellent bow lift and handling in big water. If all I did was fish the river or run smaller lakes a 21 pitch Turbo I would be just fine and that prop does produce some very impressive top speed numbers. It does, in my opinion, offer very minimal bow lift and overall poor handling in rough conditions.

This last week I was on a trip where the group and I were headed camping so were were carrying a very heavy load. We had a huge cooler with food, 40# ice, 4 – 5 gallon gas cans + a full tank of full in the boat itself, cots, sleeping bags, lanterns… you get it. We were at max capacity.

The 20-pitch Saltwater II did a fantastic job with the hole shot, albeit just a touch slower out of the hole than the 19 pitch – which is to be expected. Minimum planing speed was in the 13 – 14 mph range and bow lift was very, very good. Mid-range throttle response, even with the heavy load, was very crisp, and we had no trouble dealing with waves that, at times, ran 4′ – 6′ with the occasional whopper in the mix.

Fuel economy was also excellent. When running with a heavy load I was seeing 4.0 MPG @ 30MPH and 3.3 – 3.5 MPG @ 40 MPH. These are some very good results when running with a heavy load.

RPMs were 4200 @ 40 MPH and 3200 @ 30 MPH.

Top speed with our heavy load on the way back in (minus the 4 – 5 gallon cans of gas that had been consumer during the trip) was 58.5 MPH at WOT. That’s really pretty good given the load we were carrying and in my book these results represent an almost negligible reduction in top speed, particularly when you factor in all the other positives that include better rough water handling and economy.

So, in short, I’ve found a new prop that sits in the sweet spot of performance, economy and handling – the 20 pitch Saltwater II makes my MX 2025 a very, very strong performer in big water without sacrificing much on the top end. If you regularly fish big water you’ll definitely want to consider the 20 pitch Saltwater II props. My overall enjoyment of my MX 2025 has gone through the roof since I made the switch from the 21 Turbo I.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

James – Thanks for all the great info on the Saltwater II prop.
    Having just purchased a 2nd boat, my budget is a little short for the remainder of this year so a new prop is going to have wait until next year.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@Boog

I’m going to see if I can’t get some props to test from SBC for your HPDI powered 2025. I’m sure others would be interested in the results as well. I’ll keep you posted if I’m able to put that test together.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

@Boog

I’m going to see if I can’t get some props to test from SBC for your HPDI powered 2025. I’m sure others would be interested in the results as well. I’ll keep you posted if I’m able to put that test together.

That would be awesome!

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

James- Thanks again for posting the results of your recent Saltwater II 20P prop testing. I’ve been waiting patiently for your results. I’m glad they came out favorable and it sure sounds like this could be the perfect setup for me as well. Were you running the SDS hub?

It seems my boat is a little slower than yours. With the 21P turbo 1, I typically get 58.5 with myself and a half tank of gas, and you’re getting that loaded down with the Saltwater II 20P. When I’m loaded down like you were, I’m in the 55-56 MPH range. I suppose the 21P I’ve got might be slightly over pitched for my setup as I’ve only seen 5800-5850RPM’s at WOT even when running pretty light. I really don’t care much about top speed, but just hope that with the differences between our rigs that the Saltwater II 20P will work just as well for me as it does for you in terms of bow lift and big water performance. Any thoughts?……

I was also VERY excited to hear about your fuel consumption results. The best I’d been able to hope for running out into 3-5 ft waves was around 2.8-3.0 MPG because I wasn’t up on plane, but rather plowing up and over waves. To be honest, I was perfectly happy with the performance as it is so much better than anything I’ve ever run before in big water, but now it sounds like I’ll be even happier yet!

Thanks again; the testing you’ve shared would have been very time consuming for me and likely would never have gotten done. I appreciate it big time!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.