Who’s got the best ice auger?

• Fishhound

I wont tell you which brand I have because it wouldn’t be fair to bash them. But I have both an 8″ and a 10″ of the same model. Both start and run like mules. Today I almost had a heart attack pulling on cords. Life is too short to fight these things. Enough is enough….

I’m looking for a reliable, easy to start – easy to run unit. I fish a lot of cold days if that matters. Anybody have a brand out there that they’re in love with?

shaley
    Milford IA

I love my Nils Master…For all the reasons your looking for….

musky_ben
    Red Wing, MN

The Jiffy Pro 4, it is ran by propane, starts in less than 2 pulls has very little exhaust output and is quite. Haven’t heard anything bad about them yet.

Fishhound

I was told at the propane ice auger may be tough in bitter cold weateher. Have you been out in any real cold weather yet? Any concerns?

musky_ben
    Red Wing, MN

None I haven’t been out in -30 with it but I have been out in low teens and never ahd an issue.

kruger
    Metro,mn

I have a 6yr old model 30 and want to get rid of it…to heavy. I want the Strike Lite!!! My buddy has one and I LOVE that thing. Starts first pull and runs for hours. PLus its four stroke

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

When is the last time you had the carbs cleaned or rebuilt? I have a 25 plus year old Eskimo and the only running related issue I’ve ever had is with the carb.

johnie1610
    Eau Claire, WI

I am stuck on eskimo have had my auger for almost 20 years and havent found a reason to part ways

timmy

None of the auger manufacturers make their own engines. I you have an auger that does not start properly, it is a fault of the engine. A good small engine place, or the manufacturer, whether it is a jif, Sm, ardisam, Nils, whatever.. should be able to get you in good graces.
    \
    If the engine is solid(good compression, your carb is good, and you have spark, then it will start and run good. A good small engine guy should be able to dial that in.

T

Fishhound

I’ve had one unit in twice and the other once. I’ve thrown a lot of money at the problem. Both times the guy blamed ethanol and old gas. After the first time he told me this I started using non-ethanol gas. Hard to find, but I found it.

I’m careful with the gas and oil I use. I run all the gas out after each trip. I’m not leaving gas in the tank plus I’m running it all out. My last visit to the repair shop I had him run it before I put it in my rig. It ran, but not well. It’s just runs like a mule.

I’ve fished with guys who’s small engine skills surpass mine, but they’ve struggled with it too. I swore today that I’ve pulled that rope for the last time….

loshinit420

My 17 yr old Strikemaster Lazer Mag loves the cold, 3-4 pulls tops wouldn’t trade it for anything!!!! Especially not a NOISY jiff!

DAN J

If you are running nonoxyengenated gas in MN. it is 91 octane.I tried it in my Nils and it was very hard to start.
    Once it was warmed up it ran fine.Went back to 87 octane and it runs like new.The higher the octane the harder it is to start and up to 20 persent less power.The stuff works fine in my snowblower but not my auger.I fill my auger gas can with 87 octane before the winter blend comes out nov.1 and mix it with Amsoil 80:1 and 1 oz. seafoam per gal., run it once a month in the summer,clean the air filter and check the plug.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

Mako 43 8 inch. Had it 5 years. I’ve replaced the center point-my fault. This year I found that the fuel line broke off in the tank. Cut 1.5 inches off and put it back on. Starts on the first pull every time now. It used to take 3. I’ve got gumout stabilizer in the tank this year also. I love my Eskimo. Its fairly fast and other than the previously mentioned minor problems, reliable.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Strikemaster all the way, I have a older model 8 years 1 carb kits and 3 sets of blades and no probelms. Very solid unit. If you have a 3 hp Tecumeh then I would get rid of it.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

My father has a Jiffy Model 30 (non-Solo) and I have a Nils. We’re both pleased with our purchases. I realize Nils auger don’t seem too popular in MN, where the majority of this site is located, but I wanted something that was relatively bullet-proof (yes you have to watch what you do with the blade a bit), was more metal than plastic, easy starting and lighter in weight.

Fishhound

Anybody use the Jiffy propane Pro 4? When they first talked about it was supposed to revolutionize the ice auger industry. Were they successful? Or does it have too many platic parts?

shaley
    Milford IA

Propane seems to work well, down side is 40 pounds…

josh a

i got a 9″ pro 4 this year. love it! on a bad day it starts on the second pull. i fish 2-3 times a week and i’m only on my 3rd 1 pound tank of the season. i have seen no downside at all to having propane vs. gas…well exept the price. i paid 520 for it

Fishhound

Any problems with the plastic parts? Some of the reviews I’ve read complained about them being a problem. Not just the propane Jiffy, but the gas one too. Especially in the colder weather.

shaley
    Milford IA

Cost me about $5 a season for gas/oil and I drill alot of holes, at $3 each for little green bombs they do cost more per season to operate…I have 150-200 holes so far on this tank of gas, started the season with about a 1/4 tank and topped it off once about 3 weeks ago….

kegger

i have had jiffy, eskimo , and a nils now and i like the nils the best once it has been broke in and ran for 1 season

desperado

The best auger ice auger made is probably Husqvarna
    but, Good luck finding one
    and when/if you do find one
    be ready to shell out the dinero

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m still running an old Strikemaster Magnum II 49cc/Techum motor. Been to hell and back many times, laid on the bottom of a lake a couple times when I fell through, and have ran that thing in the most miserable conditions. I got it in 1984 and figure 30+ trips / per season and drill on average about 40 holes (some days 10, some days well over 100) Guessing I’ve drilled at least 30,000 to 35,000 holes with it in the ice. The power head also served double duty for a few years as an earth auger. That power head was too small for a 10″ earth aug in clay, so I quit abusing it in the dirt.

Had to use ty-wraps yesterday to strap the gas tank back on and punched about 80 holes searching gills. Replaced the recoil/spring about 5 years ago as it just simply worn out. Replaced the throttle cable two years ago because of all the salt that had gotten into the cable cover from traveling down the hwy with it exposed on the trailer. I looked at replacing it with something new, but fires up within 4 pulls when cold and choked. Kills, turn the choke to 1/3 and fires in 1 pull and runs like a champ.

herb
    6ft under

Pretty hard to get rid of something that just keeps on keeping on.
    But Randy, you do need to take better care of your stuff.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Pretty hard to get rid of something that just keeps on keeping on.
    But Randy, you do need to take better care of your stuff.

Victim of Circumstances

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Quote:

I’m still running an old Strikemaster Magnum II 49cc/Techum motor. Been to hell and back many times, laid on the bottom of a lake a couple times when I fell through, and have ran that thing in the most miserable conditions. I got it in 1984 and figure 30+ trips / per season and drill on average about 40 holes (some days 10, some days well over 100) Guessing I’ve drilled at least 30,000 to 35,000 holes with it in the ice. The power head also served double duty for a few years as an earth auger. That power head was too small for a 10″ earth aug in clay, so I quit abusing it in the dirt.

Had to use ty-wraps yesterday to strap the gas tank back on and punched about 80 holes searching gills. Replaced the recoil/spring about 5 years ago as it just simply worn out. Replaced the throttle cable two years ago because of all the salt that had gotten into the cable cover from traveling down the hwy with it exposed on the trailer. I looked at replacing it with something new, but fires up within 4 pulls when cold and choked. Kills, turn the choke to 1/3 and fires in 1 pull and runs like a champ.

Randy, I have the same auger, bought about the same time as yours. About a year after I had it I replaced the auger with a new state of the art (at that time) lazer auger. I still have the same blades and never been sharpened! It still cuts and runs like the day it was new. I have never done a thing to the power head.I won’t trade it for a new one even up!

bbbnteam

I have been running this home made stihl auger it has a 7″ laser head on it cuts threw ice like a hot knife threw butter…………bolts on by the bar nuts, in summer I use it for a backup firewood saw…….

herb
    6ft under

I’m really surprised Stihl hasn’t made their own line of power augers.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

I’m really surprised Stihl hasn’t made their own line of power augers.

Stihl makes a line of earth augers. Good power head, just need to put an ice auger beneath it

Stihl augers

milemark_714

Quote:

I say party ’till it pukes
    That auger sure took a beating and came back for more
    I wonder if my Lazer Pro can take it?
    I had 3 Jiffy Model 30s in that time frame.I bought the first in 1989,and sold it when I got a model 30 legend for a song.Did not run right at first,it needed some TLC and tweaks.The last one I sold to a guy at work,he wanted it badly.I then got the Lazer Pro at season’s end,for 379.99.I wanted the chipper blade model,but all were sold-out.

The best auger is the one that starts and drills holes with minimal effort/troubles

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.