yamaha 115 four-stroke opinions

• red89
    Hudson

Looking at a boat with a 115 yamaha four-stroke 2006 motor. Anybody have any experience or opinions with these motors? Anything we should look at?

KirtH
    Lakeville

Pretty bullet proof had one for 5 yrs, ran perfect

red89
    Hudson

also…. how would this compare to a 140hp performance wise? Would a 140hp motor get you a lot more speed or no? Does anybody have a website that has these comparisons? The boat maxed out can hold a 140hp, but has the 115 on it. Seems to get up on plain and out of the hole pretty good as is.

jhalfen

I just took one for a spin on a Skeeter WX 2000T from Skeeter Boat Center. Nice snappy engine with plenty of power to move the 20 footer. I have some good friends who run that motor with no complaints at all. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

I’ve had one on my 03′ fish hawk and i love it.

waleyangler
    woodbury,mn

we have one on our angler 1760. it is a pretty good motor. got that boat up to 47 with just me safety gear and a lifejacket. the only bad thing that wevee noticed since we got it is that it kind of idles rough and vibrates the whole boat pretty bad..other than that a good motor

KirtH
    Lakeville

What kind of 140 hp? 4 stoke or DI 2 stroke? If you are talking the Suzuki 140, that engine is smooth engine but a pooch for a 140, the 115 would equell it in performance, now DI 2 stroke in the 130/140 class will smoke the 115 Yamy.

msriverdog
    Arkansas

Had one on my old 1800 Fisherman, couldn’t ask for a better motor, and I pushed the he77 out of it. OK I abused the he77 out of it.

red89
    Hudson

so sounds like a good motor… we were strictly thinking four-stroke, im not for sure why, (do four-strokes get better gas mileage?) , so looking for a comparison between the performance of a 115 four-stroke compared to a 140 four-stroke…. Its only 25 hp less than what the boat maxed out can have, so im thinking its not too big of a difference, but everyone always says max the boat out or you wont be happy.

KirtH
    Lakeville

That 140 only puts about 128 in reality. It is a good motor but dont expect to be any faster than the 115, i would go to the respective websites and check out their performance bulltins.

backlash
    Owatonna MN

I had one and loved it zero problems.

whittsend

Quote:

That 140 only puts about 128 in reality. It is a good motor but dont expect to be any faster than the 115, i would go to the respective websites and check out their performance bulltins.

I have the Suzuki 140. Absolutely love it, but hole shot and top end speed are not major concerns for me. Hole shot and speed I’m sure would be better with some sort of DI 2 stroke.

Compared to most (but maybe not all) 2 and 4 stroke motors, I think mine gets well above average gas milage and is extremely reliable. We have had 2 stroke motors in the past that have had issues and just really turned me off 2 strokes (as well as mercury’s in general)…. They were older models, so I’m sure they are much better now, but I still can’t shake the bad taste…

4 stroke preformance to me means great gas milage, ultra reliable and SUPER quiet. Basically like running a car engine. At idle, I can hardly hear it. Its so quiet that Between my Yamaha T-8 and my Suzuki, I often have to look back at the water outlets to find out if either one of them is running. No oil to mix with gas, etc… I absolutely LOVE my Suzuki, but its not for everyone, especially those who need the hole shot / speed. I don’t, so it works for me. I can run over 45 mph in my 18′ Lund Explorer, though, and thats with gear, kicker, and half a tank of gas.

I assume Suzuki and Yamaha are going to be somewhat similar preformance wise. I think you will love the Yamaha.

Mike

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Really depends what you ultimately want to do.
    Due to cost reasons, most justify getting less than max HP–but in later years really regret it.
    1) don’t even talk about speed increases unless you max out your boat-never getting the true performance out of the rig and you will always “wonder” what you could really get.
    2) might run into planing issues, esp. low speed due to full loads of gear and your buddies–can you say hydrofoil in your future????
    3) you will end up burning MORE gas, as your cruising speed most likely will be WOT due to needing that for your boat to run optimally—any motor (2 stroke or 4) burns ALOT of gas at WOT (just go to Yamaha’s webpage and compare the 4 stroke motors to the HPDI’s at WOT)-more motor will attain the same cruising speed as your lessor while burning less gas (again check the Yami webpage for gallons burned per hour thru the RPM ranges).
    Originally with my boat, I opted to do what you are thinking. I put on a 115 4 stroke Mercury (essentially a yami 4 stroke). Just loved the motor, but ran around everywhere at full throttle–and burned thru a ton of gas.
    Picked up a opti 135 and now run around at the SAME speed as the WOT 115 and burn far less gas.

Don’t believe me, go run your truck around everywhere with the gas peddle pushed to the floor and let me know your gas mileage.

IMHO, max out your boat–it’s worth the extra cash.

The yami 115 4 stroke is a not a fast motor–but a GREAT motor if it max’s out your boat.

Jeremy

red89
    Hudson

I think you guys missed something… the boat already has a 115hp on it!, but maxed out CAN hold a 140hp, so it really is more of a matter of should we buy the boat or not… boat went 45mph with 3 guys, some gear, full tank of gas, and a yamaha t8 kicker on the back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.