Chains for ice fishing on pickups

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

I was reading another thread, http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/omg-what-did-i-buy/.

Got to thinking about advice there on tire chains and didn’t want to hijack that thread.

Late last ice season I was lucky enough to get a new pickup, 2014 Silverado. Unlucky enough to shovel it out a couple times too. yeah, mostly operator error. Either way I don’t know much about chains and that might be a good thing to keep in the bed during the hard water season.

What advice would you give a newbie? How much? How hard are they to install/remove? Only on the rear wheels or both axles? When not to use them on a lake? etc.

Thanks in advance!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I would not think chains are necessary unless your towing a house on the lake. Otherwise, chains are a great way to tear up your new truck by overdoing it baja’n through the snow.

I’m going to make an anchor that you drop into a hole to attach a winch to pull myself out rather than shoveling.

1 bad thing about drilling a hole in deep snow though… Flooding.

I’ll be interested to hear others thoughts and experiences with chains though

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Not sure about on the ice. But there is always a set of chains in all our trucks. Chains are a highly underutilized tool these days. Grandpa used to take a station wagon where most (if not all of us) feel a truck is necessary today. He’d slap on a set of chains and go for it.

I would think on the ice a set of chains would be an extremely valuable tool.

dbright
    Cambridge

I picked up a set this spring. My stepfather uses them frequently and amazes me the difference they make as long as you put them on right. Nothing worse then losing one or both out in the slush stuck.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Set of chains, come-a-long, auger, chain, tow strap, a 4×4/6×6/8×8 post, shovel are all good tools to have on an on-ice adventure, if you’re the one getting yourself out!!! I know guys that go out to stay on the islands of LOTW’s and that’s how they get out and back…

Mark

castle-rock-clown

haven’t bought any for the pickup truck yet but for my ATV I custom installed the chains I bought from Cabelas. What that means is I made it where the very last link is the one I’m always using on the inside and on the outside I only have maybe one or two extra links so that I know for sure I have them on as tight as I can get them. As far as the keeper that goes on the outside of the wheel that keeps the chains tight I also install a few extra heavy duty rubber bungees to really keep those chains tight to the wheel therefore not letting them fly lose and either come off or damaged the fender.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I paid about $75 for a set of chains for the rear of my F150 from Fleet farm about 6 years ago.
    I doubt that any of the nay sayers about chains have ever utilized them before and as Wade said they are an underutilized form of technology for sure. To be completely honest I would be better off not saying anything about them as they have greatly enhanced where I am able to get my truck in the winter and fish with ease.
    As mentioned by CRC I too custom fit my chains for my tires so there would be less extra to fling around then use strong bungie cords to keep them tight on the outside.
    You do not have to ride the gas like a dirt track driver, if you do the bungies will stretch and you could very likely tear up break lines and fenders. Also, chains can help you get into situations you will wish you never got into. More than once I have had to dig out when my foot got too heavy, built up speed and got high centered in drifts or old house banking. There would be no way I was using a come-a-long to get out of those messes. Maybe a large truck winch but that I do not have. If you have chains, a shovel is your best friend.

I stay on roads (mille Lacs) as long as possible, the ride with chains on plowed roads is rough so I don’t chain up till I am going to break trail. After some practice I can get them on is 5-7 min alone. How you store them to avoid tangles is key. (thats why truckers hang theirs) Watch a few youtube videos, you will see a few ways to chain up. Drape over on drive on. I like to drape then roll over.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Thanks guys. I was thinking of them as an insurance plan not for baja purposes. The tires that came with my truck are designed for the highway. $75 seems like fair insurance to go along with the shovel and tow gear.

Had a co-worker get into a bad spot on Red Lake last year when a storm moved in. Something like this would have been great for him. Thankfully they were able to call in some help in the form of plowing. Cost them a few bucks, some heartburn, and some time. Not bad in the end but I would rather not have to rely on others if possible.

roger

yes they are great to have as a back up. makes life alot easier if you don’t get to crazy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.