Youth Motorsports

• Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

Wanting to get my kids either a little dirt bike or atv.
    What did you go with and why?
    Can you liscnese youth atv’s for trails?
    Chinese vs name brand?
    Any suggestings or does or don’ts?
    I have been looking into the Kayo brand – seems to be kinda of a middle ground from the name brand and cheap chinese knock offs.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Go to your Kayo dealer and ask him if you can see his parts room. They can be cheap as hell but if you can’t fix em you have whining kids on your butt.

Coletrain27

i bought my young son a kawasaki 50 atv a few years back and living in town we didnt get alot of use out of it. if you have a acreage or land then its a great idea. i dont belive they can legally drive them on the trials until they are a certain age and take their training.

like dutch said, if your going with a knockoff brand make sure you can get parts.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Knock off bikes are a great starter bike. My boy has been riding since he was 4. I started him on a pw50, then went KTM 65, and now a yz 85.last night at larsons while pricing out a new wheeler we browsed at the honda 125 and 150, but I love the yz way better. But we have 2 ssr bikes we play around on and they are great bikes for the price. The ssr 110 and 125 is ball park 1300, the new yz 85 was close to 6k. So just decide where u want to start.
    If he is small I would find a used pw50 they are the ultimate starter bike. And can be found for under or around a grand.
    The ssr has millions of aftermarket parts. They are a dime a dozen. I just put a new shock, brakes, and clutch in for under 200 bucks. Let alone a 36mm carb for 40 bucks.
    The yamaha pw is a bullet proof bike but the 85 is the ultimate bike for a kid to race.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Go to your Kayo dealer and ask him if you can see his parts room. They can be cheap as hell but if you can’t fix em you have whining kids on your butt.

I have yet to find a shortage for any Chinese ssr part I need. Harder to find honda and yami parts right now.
    We use the ssr as a toy or a spare for his friends. Also a wheelie ripper around the neighborhood. The 2 strokes don’t get played with till track day. But they also have a lot more money in to them.
    I never seen a kayo so no experience with that. A kid can’t be on a machine on a road or trail till 16.
    We do it all the time in my area but it is illegal.

My son’s next bike will either be another yamaha yz 2 stroke, or gasgas. Gasgas makes beautiful bikes.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Start out with the right size, going a size up to let them grow into is not a good idea in my opinion.
    At least I remember in my experience, having too much weight and power to handle is terrifying for a kid.

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

Thanks for the replys. We have 1.6 acres where we live, family has 60 acres in northern MN that we hunt and play on. I looked at the Kayo’s at a name brand dealer, he said they sell them 5-1 over polairs and kawasaki and mentioned they can get parts for them which is why they carry them. I was checking WI regulations and it looks like under 12 can operate small atv’s while with and adult (with in eye site) but if you have to cross a road you have to pull the key and push????. I have 2 boys 3-5 and a 7 yo girl. I’ve never owned a dirt bike only atv’s, road street bikes most my life.

Coletrain – how big were your kids when you got them the 50?- did they out grow it righ away?

Bearcat where did you buy your SSR’s?

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

Start out with the right size, going a size up to let them grow into is not a good idea in my opinion.
    At least I remember in my experience, having too much weight and power to handle is terrifying for a kid.

There is probably alot of truth in that. I keep thinking of going bigger so I don’t have to get a new one every other year.

Coletrain27

My boy was 5 when we bought it and 7 when we sold it. They outgrow them fast. Most units now days have throttle limiters on them if you wanted to restrict the power a little bit until they are comfortable with them. Inexperienced riders with too big and heavy of machines is a bad situation for young kids

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Both ssr bikes I bought at haydays. But east central sports sells them.
    Like Colerain said they all have throttle limiters now days. But to heavy is bad. At least when they are inexperienced. Are you leaning to atv or dirt bike. That’s the real question. Once your kid is experienced then start stepping up the machine. If I were buying a 5 to 7 year old a atv it would be a can am ds 90

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

I think I am leaning towards an atv, really looking at the kayo fox 70 and predator 125 – 1299 and 1799 but they get you $400 for set up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Watch out on warranty. Nothing but engine and tyranny are covered. No brakes, no cables, no suspension nothing else. But they are cheap to fix. And a great beginner ride.

Ripjiggen

Bearcat is on the money and obviously has some good experience with them as well.
    I second don’t get your kid a bike or wheeler to grow into. Whiskey throttle is real with kids and it will only take one real scare at a young age to have them never get back on. My kid is five and rides some hand me downs from his older cousin. One thing that helped with him is to get them involved in cleaning, maintaining and equipment buying. My kid was a little hesitant at first until he got to pick out his helmet and gloves. Then he suddenly turned into a pro in his eyes. rotflol
    My nephew is 12 now and rides a KTM. I’ll be honest I don’t like watching when he hits the track. He rides pretty hard and jumps ridiculously far and I know when he does wipe out I want no part of seeing it.

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

Ended up going a different route and picked up a little used go kart this weekend. So far they love it, will see how this goes through next summer and maybe make the plunge on a couple mx or atvs. Thanks for all the input.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.