Yeti…..honest opinion.

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

When I get back up to the cabin I will run a test.
    5lb bag of ice in each cooler, set it direct sunlight.
    I will first fill them with cold hose water for a few minutes so they all start equally.

Yeti
    Coleman
    Basic Styrofoam

Stand by –

Coletrain27

There are a ton of videos on YouTube comparing dozens of different brands and how long they hold ice

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I got nothin to do and all day to do it. smile

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I really don’t think you can go wrong with any one of the big “bear proof” coolers. The question is what will you do with it? I use two pelicans because they are mnade in the USA and I got excellent deals on them. One stays in the truck one stays in the boat for multi-day trips. They do not get moved back and forth, too heavy. They don’t come to other events unless they’re going to stay in the truck.

For a day out, a soft sided cooler or an “old school” coleman/ igloo is fine.

Remember with the big coolers, if you don’t pre-chill them they won’t retain what they advertise. AND- this one is important- opening them 24 times a day to grab beers destroys their ice retention time as well. They are best used for longer-term ice and food storage, to be opened sparingly.

Umy
    South Metro

Have a Scheels brand 75 qt. Works great for $199
    Prechilled for our food and opened 3 times each day it holds ice from Thursday around noon til Monday am when we head home from Canada. I empty about 1 coffee cup of water on Monday.
    Yeti is nice too but overpriced. I also have an Ozark trail soft cooler that works really well, especially if I pre chill it.

tswoboda

Kudos to Yeti for getting so many middle aged men so passionate about where they keep their beer cold.

hartridge

I have the Yeti Roadie and love it for my applications. Usually just ice and beer for the weekend so it works great for me. If there is a downfall when loaded with beer and ice it is very heavy. We usually place in shade and leave for the day. Now the Yeti Tumbler is a must have in my book. Keeps your drink cold for the entire day….

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

No reason to even look at Yeti when you have Grizzly. I have been very happy with all my Grizzly products.

CaptainMusky

2 former employees of Yeti started Rtic which is essentially the same thing, just cheaper.
    I have a Cabelas 100qt roto cooler and it works great, it has wheels too so its nice to move around when loaded up.
    I have several Ozark Trail soft side coolers too and they are very good considering the price.
    I dont know a single person who has actually purchased a Yeti cooler. THey were either gifts or prizes.

27eyeguy

Have an Orca 65, Big Frig 48, Yeti Hopper 18 soft side that was a prize. The zipper is very stiff on Yeti, but doesn’t leak and it is light. All work very well. I have been looking at a 20 qt hard size and am considering a CaterGator. Attractively priced and reviews decently enough for me. I really only need a weekend out of it. Just another option to consider.

Red Eye

I use two of these in the bottom of my coolers. I have the bigger size. Very good investment in my opinion. Stays frozen longer than ice jugs. They will actually refreeze the melted ice water from on top.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Long Lasting Ice Pack for Coolers, Camping, Fishing and More, Medium Reusable Ice Pack, Tundra Series by Arctic Ice” type=”text/html” width=”850″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=df0&ref_=k4w_oembed_DGglU3VRL1hG6Q&asin=B00H50YTPK&tag=hyprod-20″></iframe></div&gt;
    I use two of these in the bottom of my coolers. I have the bigger size. Very good investment in my opinion. Stays frozen longer than ice jugs. They will actually refreeze the melted ice water from on top.

I have those as well! Absolutely love them. The purple ones are the coldest, its an interesting technology and they stay cold for a very long time.

stout93
    Becker MN

The one complaint about my RTIC soft cooler is the zipper. It’s nearly impossible to open/close, you actually need two hands to do it. They provide some lube to make it a bit easier, but it’s still a bear.

We’re to the point now that we just close the top and don’t even zip it up. We’re only out in the boat for a few hours at a time so not a big deal.

tswoboda

I have those as well! Absolutely love them. The purple ones are the coldest, its an interesting technology and they stay cold for a very long time.

Antifreeze?

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Antifreeze?

I dont recall exactly what it is, but when I was researching them before buying I saw it was like a plant based product that actually gets colder when exposed to something warmer. Seemed strange, but I can attest that they work very very well. A week in canada in June a couple summers ago and they were still froze at the end of the week when the ice was melting. It freezes at a much lower temperature so that is how it stays cold for so long. Just make sure your freezer is below 5 degrees.

tswoboda

It freezes at a much lower temperature so that is how it stays cold for so long. Just make sure your freezer is below 5 degrees.

So kinda like antifreeze? Or windshield washer fluid? Or saltwater? Or vodka?

Just had a eureka moment on how to sneak extra booze across the border idea

CaptainMusky

Yeah, I guess so, but this is supposed to be non-toxic. I dont think you would be able to get antifreeze to freeze in a freezer unless you somehow diluted to a ratio much less effective for automotive use. Vodka, good luck getting that to freeze LOL. Washer fluid perhaps if you got the “summer” blend, but you would be bitching if you refilled your car with it come January. LOL

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

Yeah, I guess so, but this is supposed to be non-toxic. I dont think you would be able to get antifreeze to freeze in a freezer unless you somehow diluted to a ratio much less effective for automotive use. Vodka, good luck getting that to freeze LOL. Washer fluid perhaps if you got the “summer” blend, but you would be bitching if you refilled your car with it come January. LOL

Haha just playing devils advocate.

My parents’ vodka used to freeze when I was in high school whistling

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Kudos to Yeti for getting so many middle aged men so passionate about where they keep their beer cold.

rotflol

Gitchi Gummi

are people really “pre-chilling” their roto mold coolers before using them? I could maybe see fitting a 20 qt cooler in my chest freezer, but no way in hell a 40+ qt cooler would fit in my chest freezer, even if I emptied the thing.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I could maybe see fitting a 20 qt cooler in my chest freezer, but no way in hell a 40+ qt cooler would fit in my chest freezer, even if I emptied the thing.

You can just put ice in it to pre-chill it. waytogo

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I pre fill with plain old cold hose water. Fill it to the top, close the lid and let it sit while I load the vehicle.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>
    You can just put ice in it to pre-chill it. waytogo

ahhhh, that makes sense!

I have a well and the water is 50 to 60 degrees. I start by filling it with well water, then drain and fill with ice with the sole intention of draining it when that is melted and filling with block ice, ice packs and some cube ice. Typically my roto cooler is used only to store ice or ice packs so I am not opening it often just to take ice out to put in smaller coolers.
    On long trips I have used a small block of dry ice before and that is amazing, but not easy to find.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

All that? Just go buy a $50 junk chest freezer and toss it in there for a few hours.

CaptainMusky

All that? Just go buy a $50 junk chest freezer and toss it in there for a few hours.

I dont have the space for that. I already have an upright freezer and a garage fridge and too many toys in my garage I have to park my truck outside. -)
    In all honesty, I ONLY do that when I am going on my Canada trip where we are camping on an island for a week.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I got me one of those, I freeze up a few 2 liter pop bottles for my blocks of ice in there.
    Works good.

I never go on long trips with mine, I’m a weekender guy on a pontoon and we open that cooler a100 times a day.

4th of July we went thru 175lbs of ice doah frown

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sounds like your next purchase should be a commercial ice machine.

Deuces

4th of July we went thru 175lbs of ice

Yeah but 100# of it went blended into margaritas and 50# poured over cocktails that’s a good #’s weekend toast lol

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Let’s just say we got er dun! toast

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.