Yammie T9.9 shifting coordination

• Brian Bezanson

I am getting a late start to the open water year. Last fall I had a great year but when I pulled the boat out and dropped the lower unit gear lube it looked like butterscotch topping, I pulled the lower unit off and ran it up the boys/brothers on the east side of ML. They have always been solid. I wanted a pressure test done and the faulty seal replaced. In an hyour I had a call to return and get it and it was the shift rod seal. Outstanding!
    I am aiming to get the boat back ASAP. Very late start but I had a bunch of things to take care of. I will asy I have reinstalled the lower unit at least 3 times, 3 H2O pumps. This is the 1st tie it has not gone well. This is a wheel boat with remote controls.
    The sequence is the remote shifter/throttle is in reverse so the long coupling has the maximum projection. You then have the shifting rod on the lower unit down in the lowest or deepest position. This will have the sliding ring gear in reverse. I have checked that the gear case is / was in reverse. The coupler nut is then threaded in the rod & a jamb nut om the lower rod tightened to keep it all in place.
    I have the plugs pulled and have both reverse and neutral when the gear shift is in the appropriate position, when I turn the prop by hand. When I shift the remote to forward and hand turn the prop or the flywheel I hear & feel gears not quite engaging.
    Any ideas? Sheldon you out there tonight?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.