Slow Day on DeMontreville

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

This must be the dogs days. I found a few Bass (including two 19 inchers) but they were scattered all over the lake. One here, one there, 6 feet down, the next one 14 feet down. There wasn’t any pattern that I could see. I can’t understand this, I was wearing my new IDA hat and had an IDA sticker on my boat (thanks BrianK !!!!) so I should have clobbered them.

It still beats working.

Rootski

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That is odd…generally with a New IDA Hat fishing is hot…you didn’t have it on backwards did you?

14 fee down? Doesn’t sound like fly fishing to me…

Hey, I was going to ask you, have you been to the fly shop in Lake Elmo?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I think I had it on right. maybe I should have bent the brim up or wore it inside out like rally-cap style like the ball players do.

No Fly fishing today. When I looked outside and saw how windy it was I decided to use that other stuff in the rod locker. Caught fish on jig/craw, jerk worms, and crankbaits. Again nothing really stood out as a hot presentation.

I’ve never made it over to Mitchell’s although I have spoken to them on the phone. One more thing on my “to do” list.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Rootski,
    if you can’t use the flyrod, am glad to hear you are still getting out busting some bass. are there any fish going in olson, or is most of it on demontreville??? have never been up there but am thinking about it, how is the boat ramp?? thanks Jack..

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hi Jack,

I caught more fish today on the DeMontreville side, but then I spent more time there too. On the other hand the best fish of the day came from Olson.

The access was re-built a couple of years ago and it’s really nice. There’s a dock, cement blocks all the way down, and a nice parking lot. I’ve seen people launch 20 foot Skeeters so there’s plenty of water.

We should meet out there sometime, it could be fun.

Rootski

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Been on Jane this year? I use to fish it at least a couple times a year but haven’t made it there in 04. I have been discouraged the last couple times I went by late evening skiers.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I was on jane once last year, when the lot at Demontrville was full. Same problem with the waterskiers. The Bass were using the deep weedline which is way out in the lake on Jane, so i had them on all sides of me. It was pretty nerve wracking and all the wakes made it tough to fish a worm slowly.

How about Big Marine? I haven’t been up there in a while either.

Steve

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s funny. The only time I went to D was when the Jane lot was full! I need to hit both of them. Spending all my time on the Rivers.

nubbinbuck

Rootski,
    Do you ice fish D at all? I hit it several times each winter, most of the time fishing the north end by the beach. Buddy got 2 -21″ bass through the ice one winter. there are a few bigger pike in there, too. Got 2 -34″ through the ice several winters ago.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Nubbin,

Are you fishing that necked down area above the point? That’s a decent spot. I can show you a few others that have produced for mne too.

D used to be a decent Crappie lake but once the word got it it got pounded pretty hard. There’s still quite a few Crappies in there but they’re about 6 inches long.

The weird thing about those two lakes is that most of the Pike spend the summer in Olson, and don’t show up in D until the fall. I throw flies at the Bass all summer and rarely encounter a pike, which is OK with me. It takes me 45 minutes to tie a bass Bug and it takes Mr. Pike about 1 second to clip it off! The best pike I’ve seen come through the ice was well into double digits and the guy let her go too

Once there’s enough ice out there to walk on let’s plan an IDA “tip up” day. See if we can get Suzuki and BrianK and anyone else interested out there. I’ll bring the BBQ grill!

Rootski

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ll be there.

nubbinbuck

I’ll be there!

The area where I normally ice fish is the North End by the beach. If you were standing at the launch and facing straight across the bay, you would look at approximately 10:00 or 11:00 on a clock. 6-8 feet of water, perhaps 30-45 yards off of shore. I have also made the long walk (no 3 wheeler) down to the end by Olson. I fish behind that long point down there. That is where the 34″ pike came from. The last 2 years, I haven’t had a flag down there. The north end is by far the most consistent for Pike during the winter.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

HEY! Count me in too! I’ve got a couple tip ups and never used them. I’d like to experience the experience!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

This sounds like a lot of fun. I’ll post something as soon as we get some ice out there.

R.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.