Tonka last night

• mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

Went musky fishing and am still looking for the first one of the year. Switched to trolling cranks in 20 to 25′ for walleyes at dusk as I was marking a bunch of fish. Got three and then was broke off by a good fish. Left my headlamp at the house and was too dark for me to retie – hard enough for me to do it full sunlight – so I had to give it up. Windblown weedline pattern with #7 shad rap. Was in upper lake fishing a long and wide weedflat. Did get one green carp while fishing inside weededge for musky. Always amazed how a bass will attack some lures almost as big as them.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

How big were the walleyes you were catching? I’ve heard of quite a few in the 16-17″ range biting latly. Must be a strong year class.

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

one 24″ and two 18″ – really fat especially for summertime. Looked like some of the prespawn fish you get in Pool 4. Released them all so can’t tell you want they were eating but it must of have been a buffet line. Will get out tonite if weather permits.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m completely jealous Stan. After reading your last report, I was ready to hit the water last night. I had a free evening from the war department.

Yesterday, I went to back my pickup out of the driveway for lunch, the tranny sounded like I had a dozen beer cans rolling around on the floor. I ended up renting a stupid car, while the tranny gets rebuilt for the second time in two weeks…..

Let us know how you do!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Can I ask a general walleye question for the lake………

The lake is a very “weedy” lake. Even down to 15 – 20 feet (sand grass). Are you rigging, jigging, cranking that deep? How deep to the eyes “live” on that lake, being the water is so clear.

There are a ton of humps and points to work that lake, which general areas do you prefer to work?

Thanks for any input. I do alot of ski fishing on the lake, but never anything else………..

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

hey fowler,

you should have had a phone number to call the bud!! that way you can get your boat towed out to the lake and still get out. don’t feel bad, I have had many open nights to get out but the boat is running on 2 cylanders. so i have been sitting here at home wishing and thinking of fishing.

shane

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

I always troll and mostly use crankbaits because I am fishing for the BIG ONE. I look for big weed flats – something you can’t cast across is a good definition – by deep water. Walleyes are usually scattered anywhere from the weed edge to 25′ deep. I fish the upper lake exclusively. I’ve tried spinner rigs around the humps and points but just don’t catch fish that way. I know others do well with the rigs but I just can’t stand using my trolling motor for that long. Got to get me a T8. I’ve been experimenting with 3ways and snap weights but good old lead core works well. I also try to stay a couple feet off the bottom. I am only looking for active big fish not trying to limit so one a night is usually the story. But I have my moments. Trying to beat my personal best on Tonka which right now is a 31″ fish with a 18″ girth which works out to 12lbs or so. I have seen bigger fish caught by others so the hunt continues.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks Stan……….The areas you mentioned are the same areas we work for muskies!

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

The only thing a big musky likes better than a walleye is a northern! My usual routine is to fish muskies until dusk then switch to walleyes. (I usually fish alone and just don’t like to try to land muskies in the dark by myself.) Has worked fairly well except this year no muskies! Got blanked again tonight on the musky hunt and when I switched to walleyes all I caught was the green carp. At least I got a 4lb bass but the rest of the green menace were on the 1lb side. Go figure – same spot same tactics same lures same time totally different fish. Also noticed the northerns were a lot more active – caught 7 of them from 2lbs to a nice 8lber. Have you had any luck on the musky front?? I am about to switch over to topwaters and flinging bucktails if it doesn’t pickup soon.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.