sping lake?

• jeff6771

has anyone been catching eyes on spring lake or prior lake?I have not tryed fishing these to lakes yet this year and was woundering if it is worth going over there or not.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I’ve never known Spring to be much of a walleye lake, more crappies for me. Am I missing something there?

Prior has given up a few eyes early in the morning around Sand Point. Lindy rigged leeches sounded like the best bet. I know we saw a lot as well there on the camara.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I have yet to ever put together any type pattern for walleyes on Spring, I have noticed the ones I’ve caught have all been weedeyes. I did get probably 6 of the a couple weeks ago, they were all in 7 fow or less. infact any eyes I’ve ever caught there are shallow. I know the stock spring pretty good, with the eye’s and the dnr when netting said they were seeing some nice eyes, they just don’t seem to be caught easily there, not IMO. I would presonally fish prior if I were looking for eyes over spring. 2 of the eyes I caught a couple weeks ago were in the 13 inch range, the rest were little dinks. All of which are still out there swimming. I heard one other person say they had a 15 incher, but that was their only fish. I also talked a walleye fisher man out there a week or so even earlier, said he didn’t even get a tick, and wasn’t going to fish the lake again , I guess I could see where he was comming from since he had planned on hitting Mille lacs, but his plans changed. If you ever find a pattern to Spring I’d love to know.

I also heard the walleye’s in spring taste “muddy” but I don’t know that first hand, and have only heard such,so I don’t know if I’d put any real belief in that, but I’ve heard it a couple different times.

Prior, lindy rigging sounds like the best option IMHO.

jeff6771

Tanks for the advise guys. ill skip going to spring and head over to prior.

nubbinbuck

I’ve fished Spring a few times, and was never able to figure out ANY pattern. As an interesting aside, I talked to a guy who lives on Prior, and fishes both lakes extensively. Had some stories that bordered on ‘tall tales’, but he seemed to be a pretty decent guy. Anyways, big ‘eyes are definitely in there – it is just a matter of figuring it out. i guess if you go to that channel that goes between the 2 lakes in the spring, you will see some amazingly huge eyes spawning in there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.