DeMontreville Report 26 June 04

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

This was my first trip back to DeMontreville since Bass Opener. My oldest daughter wasn’t able to join us on vacation last week and asked that I take her out today. The plan was that I’d fish for some Bass and she’d catch sunfish. So of course she hooks a 17 inch beauty on her 4 lb ultralight rig and a small jig. I couldn’t be prouder of the way she handled that fish, using the drag and keeping the right amount of pressure on until she had the fish whipped!

With the high skies and NW winds it was pretty slow. We found some Bass near the Monastary on the edge of the weeds. Speaking of which, they sprayed the lake again and killed off all the milfoil. I HATE it when they do that, as it destroys most of the decent shallow water cover in the lake. Then to top it off, I was stopped by a DNR volunteer on my way off the lake and was given the “exotic species” lecture. I gave the kid an earful about milfoil, people who cut grass right down to the water line, people who clear out the weeds in front of their houses, and how fishing has improved on milfoil lakes. He probably thinks I’m a nut but I don’t care. I have a hard time believing that milfoil is a greater evil than spraying herbicide over an entire lake!

The sunfish were prentiful and my daughter had a ball catching them. The bad news of course is that they’re all about 4 inches long.

And I think I’ve finally started getting a handle on using Jerkworms. I rigged them with Gamakatsu 5/0 hooks, running the hook around on the slot side and leaving the point exposed a little bit along the back of the worm. This resulted in solid hookups (finally!) with three fish in the 16 inch class.

All in all a great morning.

RootSki

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I totally agree about the spraying of vegatation in lakes that I fish. It ruines all of the best habitat for the bass and more importantly for all the young of the year gamefish, baitfish, and insects that make up the bottom of the food chain. Where does the DNR think that it gets the right to go and spray herbicides in public water without first asking the public? If weed spraying doesn’t stop we are going to see a big downturn in the state of our fisheries

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.