Demontreville/Olson Bass Opener

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Well, it’s Bass Opener so I had to get out there and give it a shot despite the weather. Originally I had planned to be on the water by 4:30 or 5, but a quick look at the weather radar changed that plan. On the water at 7:30 instead and I was greeted by wind, rain, and cold water. Three fish fell to a yellow Dahlberg Diver over by the monastary, and I found an 18 inch beauty on Olson right by the channel marker that liked a chartreuse/white deceiver. By this point I was standing in water and decided I had enough. Great Fun!

Rootski

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Rootski,
    way to go and get out, I wusted out as I knew it was going to be rain and wind all day. what is a deceiver?? had made temporary plans to hit the south metro area, but didn’t get there. Are there special regs on Olson/Demont lakes ??
    thanks have a great bassin year. any PICS ?? Jack.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hi Jack,

I do most of my Bass fishing with a flyrod, so I was referring to fly patterns. The first three fish were caught on a top water, the last on a streamer. The fish I found were in 6 to 8 feet of water along the thickest parts of the weed edges. A Deceiver is a streamer pattern that was originally developed for salt water. It’s a great design and simulates a baitfish very well.
    No pictures this time, I didn’t want to take the digital camera out in this weather.
    Demontreville and Olson (which are connected) had a slot limit on Bass for several years, and then two years ago the decided to make the two lakes catch and release. There are good numbers of 16 to 18 inch fish in these two lakes. Last summer I caught five over 20 inches, so there are some quality fish there too.

See ya..Rootski

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for the report. I also decided to wait for a better day to get out. Worked on the honey-do list!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

thanks Rootski,
    sounds like a good time to me. did those 20’s come on a fly rod also, can not think of a much better time than that would have to be. may have to get up there and check them out for BASS. I would hope that the DNR would put more quality lakes on a CPR only basis for Bassin’. keeps great fish in the lake, and also keeps tourneys off of them also. have a super year. Jack.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hello Jack,

Yup, all were caught using the Flyrod. With an 8 weight rod you can really put the screws to a good fish and get them to the boat. Fly fishing isn’t ultralight fishing (although it can be).

The special regs really help a smaller body of water. It wouldn’t take much to beat that lake to death, we’ve all seen it happen. They have to go back or the good fishing will never recover.

Rootski

Rootski

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.