Anyone fish Lake Elmo?

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Just wondering if anyone gets out there on this “aquarium” of a lake? If so, what do you mostly fish for?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I fish bass there, and also walleye, and crappie and sunnies in the spring. Fly fishing the shallow bays, you can get some really nice panfish. Slip bobbers and leeches on the south west side, right at dusk can put a few large walleye in the boat. Bass run smaller, about 1.5 to 3.5, but every once in a while you hear of a brute coming in. I fish bass mostly in the little bays on the south west, and south end, and also the northwest side bay. Get there early, the places to park are few and far between, when it fills, you are out of luck until someone leaves! You also need a Washington County Park Sticker or daily permit to fish.
    Tuck

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Thanks for the info Tuck! I’ll have to get one of those park stickers and do some exploring in the mentioned areas. Do you encounter much for pike or muskie? Have you ever looked/tried for suspended fish over the steep breaks? I’m just curious to any behavior possibilities regarding “roamers”.

Thanks again for the info Tuck! I appreciate it!

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Baisically If any lake produces a state record bass this year it will probably be Lake Elmo

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I used to fish Elmo a lot, back in the late 70’s. Back then there was a ton of flooded timber and the water was very dirty. It was like hand-to-hand combat, pitching chartreuse spinnerbaits 25 feet into the trees and horsing big Bass out. 50 fish days were not unusual. Then the wood started to break down and the weeds really came up. Big flats of coontail and cabbage. The fish were still there, but now it was better to finese them with plastics. Eventually they built the park and people started getting run over by jetskis and water kiers, so I found a different lake.

Last Sunday the wife and I took a drive out there to look around. It doesn’t even look like the same lake! The water is super clear, and it looked like there weren’t many weeds. The wood is mostly gone, even the old broken down houses that were in the water. My guess is that this lake is a lot toughewr to fish than it was in the old days. Might have to try it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.