waconia sheepheads

• tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

i was just wondering if this is happening to anyone else. this year no matter where i fish on waconia ive been catching these things. off the reefs jigging, deep water, in the shallows,in the weeds,over mud, in the rocks, etc. on every bait leaches, worms, minnows, power bait, rapalas . all the spots that have produced for me in the past have been over run with these things. i use to get one here one there no biggie but this year has been different. now its like 6 here 4 there. now i move as soon as i catch one.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

They get big out there too, I was sent a recent picture of a 36″ beast.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

36″ long?

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Pew! I can smell that thing through my screen.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Don’t care about the zebs, but keep those things out of Mille Lacs!!!

-J.

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

wow, most of the ones i’ve been getting have been 3-4lbs but that thing is huge. they fight pretty hard too. I will tell you it is of some disappointment when your trolling a rapala tt10 in deep water off the edge of a reef at 2mph and bam! pole bending, drag ripping,your thinking to your self..big walleye? northern? muskie?? 3-5minutes later you pull up one of those ugly things.

BBKK
    IA

I know what you mean, we get them here too.. usually if you can find baitfish away from those things you will find walleye. Usually get the smaller sheep on bait and the big mommas hit plastics. This year alone I’ve caught more over 10lbs on white 3″ grubs than I can count… very annoying when you are trying to catch walleye, usually can tell exactly what you have when you set the hook and they start spinning in circles.

I dont know what it is this year, but I’ve caught an unusually high amount of rough fish, fishing for walleye.. more sheep than I dare think about, couple carp around 10-15lbs, a 20lb monster carp and a ton of dogfish and catfish.

if you find a way to keep them off your hook and still catch walleye, please let me know!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Green Bay is getting critical on the numbers and size of these Stinkheads…the have just exploded the past few years!

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

I haven’t hooked very many this year. Last year was unreal with some nights catching numbers in the teens. Walleyes are pretty tuff to come by right now. 1 or 2 a night. feeding window is about 15 minutes.

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

that’s the window i’ve found too. been like that for a while. it drives me nuts cause i get caught up in those things during that window a lot. i find bait fish start working and then those big marks show up on the hds. i’ve got to the point where i can tell on the hook set if its one cause it feels like mush or soft. when i hook a walleye i can feel the bone. they come through in schools and from what i can tell is they are following the minnows but they will hit everything resembling food.its interesting to hear that this is happening on other lakes too. maybe it was the cool spring or something.??

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Don’t be throwing those delicious sheepies back, guys n gals. Works great for that obnoxious supervisor at work who has the cajones to ask you to share some “walleye” fillets.

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

good fertilizer too

walleyetom1
    Illinois

They hold a sheephead tournament out of Omro, Wi. every year. This year it took 91 lbs. (10 Fish) to make the top ten. The top five had over 100 lbs. The tournament is limited to 100 boats and it fills every year.

grainbelteyes
    Waconia

That 36″ is a tank… wonder what it weighted… the state record is a shade over 35 lbs. Waconia is full of them, but we have not seen that many this year; however have caught them trolling leadcore in the basin to jigwormin’ for bass and also on texas rigs in the slop for Bass, so they seem to occupy the entire lake.

siclone
    W. Lakeland

Never knew Waconia had silver walleyes…

This was a very interesting “learn something new every day” fact.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.