Slots, closings, smaller limits, working????

• mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Other than the inconvenience does this seem to be making a difference in fishing quality,(size/quantity) yet. I would have to say yes at Bellevue…seem to catch more fish in the 23-28 inch range many days than any other size. What are the rest of your takes on the it. Indian here,(ME), still says leave it alone and let nature and use control themselves, but I might be rethinking it …Lake of the Woods , St. Louis River, Petenwell Flowage, Bellevue, and pool 9(home pool), are my favorites. All but pool 9 have restrictions other than minimum length. Big thumbs up for all except Petenwell… don’t know why but it seems to be quite a bit worse in slot size fish.. Tons of shorties and almost none over the slot and less every season legal to 20 inches.. I know a lot of us as fishermen and guides over there keep very few fish,( and some keep everything), and it’s still declining??? Again what’s everyone elses take on the slots and closings.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

I know one of the problems with Petenwell is that it has been getting an exceptional amount of fishig presure in the winter months for a few years now. I remember back 15-20 years ago when that lake was unbelievable. Since then, people found out about the numbers and size of fish in that lake and they destroyed it in the last seven years, or so. It also used to have a good number of trophy sized northerns in there as well, even they have been removed to an extent. it will take a while for this fishery to come back unless they do something drastic, like close it down (I think MN did this on the Red Lake?) Someday, it will get better though.

Bassman

cj_2
    Wisconsin

The other problem in my eyes with Petenwell and Castle Rock is the winter draw down. The draw down kills most weed growth. WEeds help support the food chain–no food, no fish. Increased fishing pressure is exponential in the hurt too because fish have no place to hide. The continued growth also promotes “stump grubbing”==== loss of habitat. those are my thoughts on the issue. While I think the restrictions help in theory, there are bigger issues with these two flowages.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

I live by the Chippewa river we have a 14 to 18 slot, with one over 18 allowed no minimum. fished the wisc whenever I can fished between hwy 10 and dam we went through about 6 dz minnow until we caught one over 15in I think they should have put slot to harvest some of the smaller eye’ I just can’t believe there is enough food in the system for that many eye’s.

I wonder if DNR ever did any age/size study on the fish before putting the regs in place, the fish seem almost stunted to me. Chippman

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Chippman:

Didn’t they put a slot on the Wisconsin???

Mark

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Yup 15-19.9999 and then over 28″s…largest numbers are being caught between 15-18 right now…

troy_vinson
    South Beloit ,Illinois

On Castle Rock at least the walleye population is recovering. The Castle rock Lake Association is planning on building cribs and habitat structures to replace all the trees and stumps that have been destroyed or covered over by the sand erosion. Cover is one of the biggest problems.

Largest problem is the abundance of Carp eating gamefish eggs. PERIOD!!! Spear a carp and gut it in the early spring. Filled with gamefish eggs.

20 years ago seine boats used to net the carp and rough fish out of Petenwell and Castle Rock. The decline in Walleye is a direct result. Problem today is no one will let commercial seiners sell carp from the Wisconsin River due to elevated Mercury. 20 years ago they used to sell the rough fish to Purina for Cat food. Also to Fish markets in New York.

We have been hoping the DNR would allow an incinerator to destroy the rough fish on these lakes and rivers infested with Carp and rough fish. Only problem would be who would pay the commercial seining boats to do this? Guess someone could do it as a kind gesture. Check out this info on Page 105. You will be amazed at what is really going on with the Wisconsin River. IT has nothing to do with SLOT LIMITS!!!! DNR WISCONSIN RIVER INFO

cj_2
    Wisconsin

Troy,

Obviously you haven’t been fishing or walleyeson Castle Rock lately. 5 years ago, Iused to be able to fish from shore after work for an hour-2 hours and catch 30-50 walleyes and usually my limit of keepers. in the last 3 years, I haven;t caught 30 walleyes total! let alone keepers. I am not the only one. many locals are expeirencing the same thing. The only thing onthe incline is the boat traffic and fishing pressure. walleye population, along with smallmouth, crappies and largemouth are declining terribly.

AS for the carp. they are bad…about the same as they have been for 20 years in my opinion. no more, no less.

horrah for more fish cribs. too bad they will be in 15 ft of water or more, since DNR won’t allow any shallow due to “boating hazards”.

Please comment on the winter drawdown if you would…

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Have to echo the Castle Rock comments — I don’t guide there now unless its for Crappie or I’m forced. The carp thing makes sense thou because the redhorse over here follow the female walleye like vacumn cleaners.

Have kind of an update on Nekoosa to Necedah though … although only about 30 % of the fish we are catching are from 20-28 we are seeing more in the slot fish than for 4 years and the bite for keepers has never in 35 years been better. When I can fish alone and get 38 keepers in 7 hours it is down right awesome. So maybe the slot limits are finally turning the corner… I hope so.

troy_vinson
    South Beloit ,Illinois

Quote:

Troy,

Obviously you haven’t been fishing or walleyeson Castle Rock lately. 5 years ago, Iused to be able to fish from shore after work for an hour-2 hours and catch 30-50 walleyes and usually my limit of keepers. in the last 3 years, I haven;t caught 30 walleyes total! let alone keepers. I am not the only one. many locals are expeirencing the same thing. The only thing onthe incline is the boat traffic and fishing pressure. walleye population, along with smallmouth, crappies and largemouth are declining terribly.

AS for the carp. they are bad…about the same as they have been for 20 years in my opinion. no more, no less.

horrah for more fish cribs. too bad they will be in 15 ft of water or more, since DNR won’t allow any shallow due to “boating hazards”.

Please comment on the winter drawdown if you would…

Patterning walleye movements has been my life on Castle Rock Lake. My favorite hotspots have changed over thirty years that I have been fishing this lake weekly and sometimes daily. That is the wonderful thing. Unfortunaltely Humans are creatures of HABIT. We want fish to bite the same place every year at the same time.

Over thirty 33 years i have found that Castle Rock Flowage(Lake) is like the Sahara desert always changing depths and structure. The only difference is that the water moves the sand instead of the wind.

I have been fortunate enough to fish with some of the original men who built the lake. They have showed me over the years how to adjust my fishing to the changes of the depths and structure of the lake.

I know for a fact that the holdiing structure you are talking about catching 30-50 walleyes a day is no longer there. Castle Rock is a river, Please remeber that. Always changing everyday. There used to be an island about 100 yds long by 100 feet wide on the southwest side of Buckhorn State Park. I used to catch 10 lb plus female walleye every spring and early summer in 5 to 10 foot of water right next to that island. Now it has all eroded and the fish have moved to one of my other favorite spots. It took time to find but I did find it.

See the days of experiencing fishing seem to be over.
    Most everyone I talk to want McDonalds type results. They want it their way and they want it now. My grandpa can tell you that Niles Lake which is part of the original lake structure holds still sixty years later most all the big fish in the lake. WHY???? Becase just like geese or ducks the fish return to their homeland.

I have spent my life figuring this all out. This lake has taught me to never rly on a hot spot. It has taught me to follow the fish. Which most people spend thousands of dollars to figure out.

For me it just took alot of time.

Winter draw down answer::: Focus on the river from the tressel north especially at night. Focus on the tressel area itself plus the area north around Roche Cri. My biggest female walleye was taken in three foot of water near here at 10:30 p.m. some time ago. Biggest walleye I have personally seen out of this lake which is mount today is 14 lbs. Taken by my childhood friends Genava Ferguson who was 90 years old. Her husband John caught a 51 inch pike on a 1947 purple fleck bomber waterdog. Fish on this lake school heavy at this time untill early MAY. Whatever you catch will alaways be in NUMBERS!!!!

You want fishing to be easy goto a local pond. Stock it yourself. You want a challenge fish Castle Rock.

You say there is alot of fishing pressure HOGWASH!!!!!
    Last year I took three smallies over 6 lbs in one day.
    Fooieeeee!!!!! I get fed up with all the people who make opinions about fisheries without actual knowledge of the lake itself.

Please spend some quality time out there and change your approach. Just for your info I still catch 30- 50 Walleyes a day. Chase after them. Plus I use natural bait for those big pigs(walleyes) Plus I fish most of the spring at night.
    Walleyes are extremely aggessive at night on Castle Rock.
    Just bundle up a little and get the lanterns out. Baitfish and plankton love light at night. Walleyes follow and eat them up. I have watched every late winter early spring for 30 years as the walleye congregate you can literally see them with your flashlight.

Smallmouth spawn just like bluegill on this lake also. Find their beds and you can guarantee a 4 lb plus fish around Mother’s day weekend. Largemouth are the same. I follow the crappie during spawning time. Second week in April to 2 week in May. Of course the carp are peaking too.

Someone mentined the weedkill as a result of the winter drawdown. not true.

What has killed the weeds in something you failed to mention. Bacteria from the paper mills plus high phosphorus from the mills also.

I posted a link with the scientific info earlier please read this whole article. The reason why the flowage turns green in the summer is due to the high bacteria count in the water from the pulp making process with paper.

I have an actual documentary from 1993 where Weyerhauser Papers dumped raw mercury in the Wisconsin River plus massive volumes of bacteria in the water. Where was the EPA?
    Last Spring hundreds of thousands of fish died on the Wisconsin River because the water could not support oxygen levels needed ( due to water pollution). I personally witnessed this after ice out on Castle Rock and Petenwell lakes.

If you want to know where I get my information call UW Steven Point and Ask them for the Fisheries Department. Their students perform regular water tests and seining and shocking surveys on Castle Rock Flowage and Petenwell.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Nice report and great info on Castle Rock Troy. I can not speak for the walleyes, but I think Castle Rock is getting much better as a bass fishery. I also agree with you on the willingness to change. Many of us fall into the trap of being creatures of habit. Break the habit and you can crack the code.

Thanks again
    Bassman

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Quote:

Last year I took three smallies over 6 lbs in one day.

Only place I’ve ever heard of this happening is Chequamegon Bay. Castle Rock must be a WHOLE lot better than I thought.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Troy,
    I am also a little interested in this statement of three 6+ smallies in a day, what time of year and approx wherewere you fifhing? Lake, River? You can PM me if you would rather, I am just interested.

Bassman

cj_2
    Wisconsin

D-nort and Bassman, Castle Rock is just a tremendous bass fishery, both largemouth and smallmouth. Come on up and check it our for yourself. while you are at it, feel free to contact any of the clubs that hold opens and check the placing weights (not just winning weights). Some of these tourneys still allow walleyes–ask them how many walleyes have been weighed in the last 5 years. Granted, tourney results aren’t the only way to measure fish popluation, but I feel it is somewhat indicitive.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

ZX202guy,

I am not questioning the quality of the bass fishery, what I am refering to is 3 sixes in a day that is tough to do in any northern fishery. I have had a number of multi 3-4 pound fish days on Castle Rock. I have fished it on and off for over 20 years and also worked at club events there for three years. I am not saying it can not happen, that would just be an extremely exceptional day.

Bassman

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

We can only report what we see..Troy Sorry if it offended you..might spend a day or two down that way checking out the walleye and shhh guys be quite about the bass

troy_vinson
    South Beloit ,Illinois

Lawrence You did not offend me. Just stirred up a passion in me. Like alot of people I too was once frustrated at the fishing on Castle Rock until I went to school for Fisheries Biology 14 years ago. My opinions have changed drastically since. With Catch and Release now and the disclosures on Water quality, the fisheries around Wisconsin are on the rebound. I hope that those of us that take fish out of these Lakes put our time and money to stock game, build habitat, etc.

It would be exciting to see an stocking fishery on the Castle Rock or Petenwell in the next few years. I hope that the carp bowfisherman take thousands of carp out of this lake this year. I wish Indians would spear carp instead of Walleye.

Sorry got sidetracked. Lawrence I just care alot about this area of Wisconsin because I have spent every summer of my entire life there plus every spring walleye run.

No offense taken. maybe I can help put you on some good size walleyes at night. Offer is there.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.