Winter Whitefish and/or tulibee locations

• Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

I have never targeted or even caught a whitefish or tulibee but after seeing IDO do it and other people do it, I would like to give it a try. I live in the northwest corner of the twin cities loop and I know I will have to drive quite a ways to find the depth and water temp needed, so if anyone can offer some decent lakes that are within a ‘reasonable’ distance and some lakes that may be further but are that much better that would be awesome. Cant wait for the ICE!!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Mille Lacs has tulli. The last couple years have been tougher than normal but they are here. Come mid winter search the deep water off tips of the mud flats.

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

Depends on your definition of reasonable. The best place would be Green Bay, a 1/2 day drive from the Twin Cities.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I have never targeted or even caught a whitefish or tulibee but after seeing IDO do it and other people do it, I would like to give it a try. I live in the northwest corner of the twin cities loop and I know I will have to drive quite a ways to find the depth and water temp needed, so if anyone can offer some decent lakes that are within a ‘reasonable’ distance and some lakes that may be further but are that much better that would be awesome. Cant wait for the ICE!!

Green Bay is definitely a good bet for whitefish out of state. Nothing’s a “sure bet” but when it comes to whitefish… Green Bay would come close.

Here in MN I’d recommend Leech Lake at late ice for both species. The bite can be fantastic and the size of the fish, particularly the whitefish, has been outstanding the last couple winters.

castle-rock-clown

So, are whitefish and tullibe different from each other? Which is better tablefare?

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Here in MN I’d recommend Leech Lake at late ice for both species. The bite can be fantastic and the size of the fish, particularly the whitefish, has been outstanding the last couple winters.

What does one look for when searching for these? Always Deep? Best Presentations?

ps0345

White fish have an overhang top lip, think carp. Tullibee don’t.
    White fish are far better on the dinner plate, I’ve had it baked and Fried both where great. The only good Tullibee I’ve had are smoked and it was so so.

I’ve also heard you won’t find any Tullibee south of Mille Lacs. Most people who I know that specifically fish for them head to the Brainerd Lakes area. And of course when the Walleye and Sauger aren’t bitting, they are fun to catch up at LOTW.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I’ve noticed the Tullibee are more susceptible to the snot looking yellow grubs… try and find out if the lake you are planning on targeting them from has issues with the yellow grub or not. In my experiences (and this could be happenstance) the grub seems to be more common in stained lakes and less likely in clear water, anyone else notice this? It’s a bummer to bring some back only to notice the meat is riddled with grub trails. For whitefish I would look up the IDO video James did in Green Bay a few years ago, they were killing em if I remember correctly. For tullibee I’ve unleashed fury on a few schools that came in 10 feet off the bottom when I was fishing deep for eyes, 1/8 oz green uv tingler with a minnow head was perfect, and boy do they move in on the bait quickly, they are a blast if the eye fishing is slow!

Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

If I were to make the trip to Green bay where or what should I be looking for? maybe even specific locations if you are willing to share. Same for Lake of the Woods

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

If I were to make the trip to Green bay where or what should I be looking for? maybe even specific locations if you are willing to share. Same for Lake of the Woods

Consider renting a shack or hiring a guide..
    There are a bunch of places to rent a heated shack,set up on a good spot,for a reasonable price.
    Call Paul Delany from IDO…..he’ll help…
    Otherwise just ask around….things change through the season….

Send me a PM closer to when you’re thinking of going…I’ll be up there more than once this year and I’ll help if I can…

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

Anywhere from Dyckesville to Sturgeon Bay along the east shore produces whitefish pretty consitently (and beyond up into Door County). Generally better action the further north near Little Sturgeon, Riley, and Sand Bays. There’s a pretty steep break just off shore along most of the east shoreline; work the break anywhere from 15′-60′ to find fish. They key to catching ’em is to get into the right rhythm as you bounce your lure off the bottom; drop, lift, hold, drop, lift, hold.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I hope to fish the Green Bay area for Whitefish this year, if I don’t go with my cousin we are going to get a shack/guide service. My cousin caught a bunch of them last year using a Brown colored lure similar to a Goby. I think it was a jigging rap, he said Brown was the only color that worked.

If we happen to be there at the same time maybe we could share the cost of the shack or if I’m with my cousin you would be welcome to join us.

castle-rock-clown

X2 for Paul Delaney, we had our own gear and he put is on the right spot. He guilds and outfits depending on your needs.

Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

X2 for Paul Delaney, we had our own gear and he put is on the right spot. He guilds and outfits depending on your needs.

Thanks! I recognize him from the IDO video. The unguided trip with transportation sounds like a really good deal. I would like to spend some time with him, but for $100 for up to 4 people on hot spots… it doesn’t get much better and more affordable than that.

Is there a certain time of winter that the whitefish turn on more that I should think about scheduling a trip?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Usually when the ice safe enough to go out to deeper water until late Feb is good )

Wide range )

Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Berickson wrote:</div>

Green Bay is definitely a good bet for whitefish out of state. Nothing’s a “sure bet” but when it comes to whitefish… Green Bay would come close.

I also like the idea of Leech, little closer to home and more familiar. Any suggestions for guides or some guidance for a DIY trip?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Went with Brett Alexander last March. Fished walleye early and late and whites during the day. 8 guys limited out on whites. Bag limit is 10 a day. Don’t know what possession limit was. Lot of fun out of 70 feet of water.

fisherman-andy

Im not so sure about eating whitefish on inland MN lakes. Been doing some investigating; and on some MN lakes that have or contain lake whitefish it appears that a good population of the fish are very very OLD age at least up to 30yrs+ and are no larger then some of younger fish! I think I will stick to Greenbay for whitefish.

As far tullibees; Mille Lacs is on the rebound I saw good report from the DNR earlier in the year. For late ice action I would choose Winnibigoshish for tullibees.

Darrin meyer

Lowerhay lake on the whitefish chain(brainerd). Have caught some dandy whitefish. Its out my back door so im gonna hit it soon

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.