William O' Brian Smallmouth

• fred bartling

I got out today and fished the O’Brian area of the Croix for smallmouth. The weather was great and the fish cooperative. Most of my luck came fishing 3 inch tubes along deeper current rock breaks. I also caught fish wherever their was incoming water from small streams or springs. Even the smallest incoming water seemed to hold fish. Most of the time I was pitching right up to shore as the fish seemed to be holding very tight to shallow rock, timber areas. The river is a little high for this time of year which made it easy to move around. For people with larger boats this might be a good year to try this area.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Didn’t find many bass last weekend in that area. Then again I was fishing more out in the main channel. Plenty of sheep head, suckers, and moon eye.

FryDog62

Fred/Mike, did you catch the water temp there ?

dbright
    Cambridge

69° Friday last week.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

67 on Sunday.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

As the water levels dropped we started finding some small mouth setting back up in the main channel using the current seams there. Would pick up a few on crawlers we set for bottom fishing. Lost on boat side that Im guessing was in the 18 to 20″ range.

Plenty of sturgeon, walleyes, mooneye and other fish biting to.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.