Who's Fishing Leech Lake Opener? Roll Call!

• Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

With the Mille Lacs thread blowing up, I figure some Leech lurkers might want to represent. Who’s fishing Leech Lake for Walleye/Pike opener and who’s pumped up? Let’s keep the IDO Leech Lake forum going strong this season.

JAnderson

Yes sir! I will be there through Monday! Can’t wait. First opener at leech in a few years!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I think it will be a good one. Water temp yesterday on Walker bay ranged from 52-56. Water is low and clear right now but the weather will churn it up a bit. Just in case, I’m prepared for boat-shy fish. I’ll have a couple rods rigged with a light 1/8 oz sinker and 5′ leader. Last year there were times when we had to get the baits way away from the boat to get bites. Hopefully though, they will just jump on our jigs.

Who else is going to be out there?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Not for opener Phil, but I’ll be up at the in-laws cabin over Memorial Day and hoping to get up to Leech at least once. And I think you’re dead on the money that with the early Spring this should be a very good opener!

I for sure will be out on opener. I have seen some really nice walleye up shallow the past couple of days so hopefully they hang around up there. On the main basin where I am the water ranged from 55-58 degrees in the main basin, and up in boy and miller bays I saw water up to 63 degrees! I am sure the windy rainy days will cool it off a little. I got all my jerk baits ready and rigs set up. Looks like it will be a nice sunny day.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Joel Nelson and I will be up on Leech later this week and ready to give the eyes heck at sunrise Saturday morning. We’re looking forward to meeting Josh and the rest of the crew at Trappers.

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

I will be up through Monday out of Bayside resort.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Speaking of fish, the Boy Scouts of Troop 40 will be hosting their 67th annual Smelt and Fish Fry Friday May 8 from 5 to 7 p.m. in the downstairs dining area of the Walker American Legion. They will also have to go boxes.

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

Not for opener Phil, but I’ll be up at the in-laws cabin over Memorial Day and hoping to get up to Leech at least once. And I think you’re dead on the money that with the early Spring this should be a very good opener!

I will also be up there for memorial day. Might have to get in touch with you as I have never made it to leech before. Excited to explore and for tight lines!

shefland
    Walker

You know I will be out, jig rod in hand! It will be a good opener

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

shefland, you have probably been sitting in your land locked boat as much as I have:) Me and my 2 yr old boy put out a pretty sweet trolling spread in the lawn the other day, two lines each.

The boat is in the lake now until ~ Nov 1st.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I am following all of you…

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

I might have to get some words of wisdom from you Steve. Heading out of Walker with no real game plan yet.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>steve-fellegy wrote:</div>

I might have to get some words of wisdom from you Steve. Heading out of Walker with no real game plan yet.

I can give you lots of “words” but “wisdom” many might question…lol

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Our group is celebrating our 42nd year of fishing Leech Lake on Opener. Back in 2010 our group entered a Ron Schara Minnesota Bound Fishing opener Tradition contest. We won and that year they sent up a crew to do a story on us however it wasn’t till 2011 before they aired it. What’s cool about this is that our friend Ron Edberg was killed in the Accent Signage shooting in 2012 so it’s a living tribute to our friend, who was the main organizer for all those years of opening on Leech. Here is a link to the show:
    http://mnbound.com/watch-mn-bound/2012/5/14/minnesota-bound-622.html

Taylor patnode

Not opener weekend, but i will be heading up there the second weekend fishing leech and also winnie!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.