Which propane auger?

• HotLZ

Decided on a new propane auger for this year, as the Ion X just wasn’t the ticket up at LOTW in 4+ ft of ice. Decided to go with propane over gas, but which brand, Eskimo or Jiffy? I have read of issues with both. The Eskimo seems to get better reviews, but it is not available in 9″, which is my preferred size. I also already have an extension for a jiffy. The Eskimo I’m told has the same auger bit as the Ion X, which would freeze up on me all the time and jam with ice chips in thick ice. The warranty on Eskimo is 5 yrs versus 2 for jiffy. Weight isn’t a huge factor for me. I’m really torn, but kinda leaning towards the jiffy 46 x-treme, but worried about dependability and shorter warranty. I do not need to reopen old holes. Your thoughts?

wildbeaver
    Inactive

k drill

HotLZ

Somehow I just don’t see a cordless drill driven auger to be the ticket in 4 ft of ice drilling 40 holes a day. But maybe I’m wrong, I haven’t used one.

Gary Law
    Ohio

I have the Eskimo & it has been a flawless tool..
    -The fuel economy is so good that I never remember to keep track of number of holes I get per tank.
    -It’s been reliable in 38 Below & fires up on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time.

-Only thing I can say I dislike is that it is heavy

And for the record our jiffy failed to start when left out in the truck cab overnight –

wildbeaver
    Inactive

Sometimes I will drill over 300 through 40″. Generator and a good quality 100′ extension cord.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ve had the Jiffy 3 years, no issues.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I have the Eskimo and no complaints. It is a bit heavy but nothing that would impede you from drilling a days worth of holes. I mean let’s be honest, a days worth is probably 25 at the most for most people.

Pauleye
    Onamia

The Eskimo has worked perfect for me. Starts easily and drills quickly. The downfall it is Heavy.

404 ERROR
    MN

Got the same Jiffy as EPG, no problems to speak of and it was a first year model.

Forrest Brenske

I have a HC40 after about 1000 holes over 3-4 years of extreme use it blew up and eskimo replaced it free of charge. I will still stand behind eskimo. I will be picking up a new P1 rocket next week.

Forrest Brenske

I have a HC40 after over 1000 holes over 3-4 years of extreme use it blew up and eskimo replaced it free of charge. I will still stand behind eskimo. I will be picking up a new P1 rocket next week.

Travis

I love my jiffy propane auger however I’ve been looking to get a strike master 40v. In most temps the propane is a no brainier for all the obvious reasons from a practical and marketing standpoint. However, last 2 years in extreme temps below zero to 30 below, stored in a warm house, warm truck to the lake, insulated wrapped blanket onto the lake to our fishing spot…..drills 3 holes and freezes up, with tank insulator sleeve on. Won’t refire until warmed up in portable.

LOTW poses the same environmental challenges with the additional ice depth, so I understand your thought process moving from electric to a propane in this case. I would strongly suggest you reconsider if you are fishing extreme temps and portable. This is coming from a guy who absolutely loves his propane auger!!!! You may wanna think about keeping the old gasser handy for 4+feet of ice and cold temps, for everything else you should be satisfied with propane or electric.

Again, my honest opinion, I hope you find a solution to your fishing expeditions!!! Good luck on the ice this season!!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Have a first gen jiffy no problems other than the hose needs to be replaced every couple of years,they haved fixed that.It starts every time second or third pull and cuts like hell.The only complaint is it’s heavy.

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

I have the Jiffy Pro 4 Lite, so it’s slightly different than the Pro 4 but many of the same workings. Punched about 500-600 holes with it last year and for the most part had no issues. The only time temp was an issue was last January one day when it was 25 below and we were pulling it behind a 4-wheeler in a sled. (Stupid decision in that weather, I know, but it’s a remote lake, with no drive-up access). Even then, once we heated the tank for a bit in the flip shelter, it fired right up. I love how light it is for hole hopping, but if LOW is the primary lake I would opt for the heavier model. I don’t think you can go wrong with either model though , my buddy has the P1 Rocket, and it cuts like a banshee.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.