What's the best ice reel??

• dan jost

Ok I’m sure this has been brought up many times on this forum but instead of hours of searching I thought I’d re- ask the question.. I ordered my first tucr 32″ precision for my primary walleye jigging rod little while ago and was looking for your ideas on the best ice reel to pair it with. Any input helps thanks guys

schoff
    S.E., SD

Shimano Sedona 500 seems to be a good choice for me. Might want to get one soon as it looks like they do not make them that small anymore.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Shimano Sedona 500 seems to be a good choice for me. Might want to get one soon as it looks like they do not make them that small anymore.

x2

404 ERROR
    MN

You can still find 1 or 2 Sedona 500’s on Ebay and such. I have switched over to Tica Cetus and Pflueger President Micros. Both and excellent.

I tend to prefer the Pflueger over the Tica solely because I’m a lefty. The back reel switch is uncomfortable on the Tica when holding it the way I like. With back reel off, the switch digs into my palm.

winterbite

I agree – I have a few TUCR and two of them have the Sedona 500’s and now my dead-stick has the Okuma Avenger reel on it. Yes – I am a huge IDO fan and had ton of luck practicing what James and the rest of the guys preach!

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

I agree – I have a few TUCR and two of them have the Sedona 500’s and now my dead-stick has the Okuma Avenger reel on it. Yes – I am a huge IDO fan and had ton of luck practicing what James and the rest of the guys preach!

. X-2 on that!

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Yes, Sedona’s are the best. However, seeing as though they are discontinuing them, you can still get a very quality reel in the Shimano Sienna. The drag system is nowhere near as nice in cold weather as the Sedona, but with a few very easy and cheap modifications to the drag washer, it essentially becomes the Sedona. I know John at TUCR sells the replacement washers and some of the higher quality grease. Takes about 5-10 minutes per reel to change them out.

Dan Baker

I’m a big fan of my pfluger president. Buttery smooth!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I like Symetre 1000’s…. grin

Trevor Ellingson
    Long Lake, MN

I’ll jump in with Shimano also. Any of the 500 size will do great, if you can find them. I have Sedona’s, Sienna’s, Sahara’s and a Symetre, and they all work great. For the $$$ a Sienna is hard to beat coming in at $30.

BK_ICEMAN_MN
    New Ulm

I have the Pflueger President Micros on both of my TUCR’s and I love them. Smooth and good drag. Have no complaints. I reel with my right hand (which always confuses my friends) and really love the way this reel fits me, both on the bullwhip and the precision. I also have a President on my summer rod as well!

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

I have Sienna’s on all my ice rods know. Have never had an issue and can’t beat the price. I also have a few pflueger reels and they are nice as well. Either will do the trick for you.

competitor
    South central, mn

I wish they would make folding handles on more reels for putting them in the hard box. Not a big deal, but easier when moving a lot.

dan jost

Thanks for all the input guys… I’ve had lots of pfluegers in the past and liked them. I’m leaning towards the president micro mainly do to availability. I only placed my tucr order little over a week ago so I guess I have some time to fully decide. 😀 Thanks again guys.

404 ERROR
    MN

Gander Mountain had the President Micros on sale shortly before Christmas, scored 4 for $35 each! Should have gotten a few more, as I’m still short on reels…

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

You should get one of the Japanese Shimano or Diawa spinning reel with the shallow spool design.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Bumping up an old thread, any changes to the list here? Or a new latest and greatest? Looking to pick up a new reel or two this winter.

munchy
    NULL

Bumping up an old thread, any changes to the list here? Or a new latest and greatest? Looking to pick up a new reel or two this winter.

Tica Cetus, best ice reel I have found.

buddah6

Yep Tica Cetus, also check out Okuma Ceymar C10s’s I ran a couple of those last year and loved them!

Dylan Salow

Ever since buying my TUCR rods I run all pflueger presidents and have no complaints. Great reel at a pretty decent price!

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Sedonas when I found them cheap and put a Ceymar C10 on my last rod. Happy with them all. Really like the feel of the Ceymar…but can’t bee the Sedonas when they were cheap.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Ever since buying my TUCR rods I run all pflueger presidents and have no complaints. Great reel at a pretty decent price!

That’s what is on my TUCR’s.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Yep Tica Cetus, also check out Okuma Ceymar C10s’s I ran a couple of those last year and loved them!

The Ceymar C10 is a fantastic ice reel for the money and is the perfect size on panfish rods in my opinion.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buddah6 wrote:</div>

The Ceymar C10 is a fantastic ice reel for the money and is the perfect size on panfish rods in my opinion.

What do you run on your walleye setups?

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Werm,
    I know you weren’t asking me, but I put a C10 on my TUCR PP late last season for LOTW and it was a great setup. Light and well balanced. IMO it’s plenty of reel for a walleye stick.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Light and well balanced. IMO it’s plenty of reel for a walleye stick.

That’s what I was wondering, thanks!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I remember a few back, people raving about the “Black Betty” ice reel. Anybody try/own them ? Haven’t seen or heard a thing about them in years.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

I remember a few back, people raving about the “Black Betty” ice reel. Anybody try/own them ? Haven’t seen or heard a thing about them in years.

I scored one (6061 model) at Cabela’s last season for ~$40. Put it on my Frabill “Bro” QT rod. It’ nice. Not sure I’d pay the regular retail price for one, but at the price I paid I’m happy and plan to use it again this year.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.