What's In Your Leech L. Tackle Box?

• Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

With Walleye opener coming up fast, most of us already have a short list of tackle and presentations to start out the season with. While compartments full of tackle boxes and bags are the norm on my boat, I usually keep a small arsenal of go-to tackle close at hand for mid to late May Walleyes.

Jigs – Light 1/8 oz jigs in green, gold, white, chartreuse and blue combos are the standard for working main lake points and flats in the 5’-12’ range. Sometimes, popping the jig is required to trigger strikes, at other times just dragging that jig will be the ticket. When fish are spooky, a 1/16 oz jig on a longer line can make a real difference. For deeper fish on windy days, I will sometimes tie on ¼ oz jigs to stay in the strike zone and help keep lines tight. Fatheads, Rainbows, Shiner Minnows and Leeches can all be good options for tipping these jigs.

Rigs – Jigs are the standard but at times, rigs rule. I keep things simple with 1/8 – ¼ oz egg sinkers, a swivel and a #2 octopus hook for minnows and a #4 or #6 for leeches. A four foot, 8# fluorocarbon leader is a good start. As the water warms into the 60’s, floaters, longer snells, beads, and spinners will come into play but early on, I start simple.

Artificial Lures – Live bait is often key when Leech Lake water temps are in the 40’s and 50’s but playing around with “arties” can really pay off big time, especially for bigger fish. Jig and plastics are my #1 choice early on. Experimenting with action, profile, and color is the ticket for plastics. Once you find the combo they want, keep the net handy as it can indeed out-produce live offerings. Pitched or trolled stick baits, crankbaits or Jigging Raps can also provide “net results” for anglers willing to experiment.

So what might your go-to presentation be for May Leech Lake Walleyes? Slip bobber? Blown up crawler? Maybe you prefer to keep it under your hat ) Whichever presentation you choose (or the fish choose), have a safe and productive opener everyone! I’ll see you out there.

Attachments:
    1. P1090255.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Haha, not sure how to edit attachments. Didn’t need a Crappie pic )

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I deleted the crappie pic.

Last year we did really well on the #5 and #6 Rippin Raps in Yellow perch. we’re going to fish opener on Leech this year so I know I’ll have more than a few on hand in addition to an assortment of husky jerks for trolling at night.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Good run down Phil. I was new to Leech last year and jig and a minnow was the ticket most times out. Which is also my personal favorite. Leech is a phenomenal lake and even on a busy opener wknd there is plenty of water to get away from the crowds.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Thanks for the pic edit James. I am definitely going to wash some Rippin’ Raps this year too. I have had good success near the cabbage with them but need to give them there due time on main lake shorelines and shallow structure too.

BigWerm, I agree that there are a lot of fish here away from the crowds too. 111,000 acres to find ’em in.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I use to Muskie fish Leech back in the 80’s & 90’s and now our retirement home is about twenty minutes from Walker. I’ve been getting re-aquainted with it with the focus on Walleyes.
    It really is a great fisherie!

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

Phil,
    Thanks for offering the tactics that you use, its excellent information.
    I’ve always enjoyed reading your updates on Leech.
    I’m heading up in early June for 3 days, and have been going there for 8 years now during that 3rd. week of September.

i can’t wait the water temps are going to be warmer than last year. The nice part is I do not have to even go out in the boat I can either use some slip bobbers tipped with a decent sized rainbow or I will put on my waders and pitch some jigs right in front of the resort. I like a little bigger jigs 3/8 oz when I am casting from shore and I either use some plastic split tails(perch, black silver, rainbow) or husky jerks when I fish the shore lines. They really work the sand and gravel bars right off of our shoreline early in the year especially when we get the big northwest winds blowing in like they are today. The shiners are thick right now in the harbor and the crappies are just starting to move in after them. We have also seen some nice walleyes swimming around the harbor mouth right now during the day as well. Hopefully we will have the dock out by the end of the week(if this big wind quits) and all the rental boats in the water. 17 more days!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

I deleted the crappie pic.

Last year we did really well on the #5 and #6 Rippin Raps in Yellow perch. we’re going to fish opener on Leech this year so I know I’ll have more than a few on hand in addition to an assortment of husky jerks for trolling at night.

What colors do you like with the husky jerks? How fast do you pull them early in the year?

James, didn’t you get into a bunch of fish pitching plastics a couple years ago, early in the year on Leech? I tried to find the post you had made. I keep thinking it was on the Peanut Butter and Jelly color. Maybe I’m loosing my mind though!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.