what trail camera to buy

• moondog

I am looking a buying a couple of trail camera’s. Just wondering what people are using for trail camera’s. what brand and model and like and dislikes about the camera’s.

gary d
    cordova,il

I got a Wild Game. Easy to use and set up. Its out in the back right now. It was not the cheapest and not the most expensive one they have. Takes good picture in color day time and black-white at night. I use to have one that had a little one and half in screen on it. That was nice you could view pictures with out taking the card out. It was a Covert-Red. It broke down and I tryed working with them and they just would not stand up and do the right thing. They new what was wrong with it and did nothings. Good luck.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I was just going to ask the same question moondog. The only trail cam I’ve ever bought was a wildgame innovations and it worked for about a year. Went to crap after that. Spoke with a friend that’s BIG into the hunting/trail cam game and said that wildgame innovations should be avoided. Hes had great luck any Browning or Moultrie cam. Had good luck with a nice Muddy cam but not so great luck with a cheaper Muddy cam.

If you find some good black Friday deals, please post links!

Justin riegel

I am currently running 11 cams. I have 2 bushnell essentials, and apex I think it is called from Menards and 8 Tasco Cameras from Walmart. For the money and since I do not run mine on field edges the Tasco’s work. I have not had a single issue with them yet and I have had issues with the Bushnell and Apex. If I was just going to buy one really nice camera, I would get an Exodus Lift II.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Depends on what you plan to do with it. We use Cuddeback that are networked so we don’t have to go into the woods and get cards from each camera. One camera is the Home camera and the others upload their pics to that one. You only pull 1 card to see the pics in 8 cameras, we have 2 systems setup with 16 cameras. We have had some issues off and on over the years and just send them back and get a replacement at no cost, great service.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We use Cuddeback that are networked so we don’t have to go into the woods and get cards from each camera. One camera is the Home camera and the others upload their pics to that one.

That is really quite amazing and is something I was unaware was even possible.

realtreeap10
    Over there

I currently have 5 Wildgame cam’s that all were under $60. They’ve been great to me over the past few years running them darn near year round. Buddy of mine has had moultrie, spypoint, WG and he threw out both is Moultrie cams after a year and stuck with spypoint and WG. You will probably end up hearing something bad and good about every brand so it a tough call. I would say get the nicest camera you can afford.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

We also added extended run battery packs to them this year, you can make it the entire season without going in to the camera. You can get up to 8 cameras on a network, we are running 16 now so 2 networks…just put the 2 cameras that you are pulling cards from along a trail with easy access….it is a great setup, one issue is the range is decreased in the summer with dense leaves.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

We’ve tried quite a few different brands and have settled on Bushnell. The traditional cameras work great, but I’ve also added a few cellular ones. The older Impulse is still kicking after 4 years, and I added two Aggressor versions this year when they went on sale. We’re going to pick up 3 more for next year. They both take pics and video; the older Impulse can only upload traditional pictures so video of Field Scans still have to be manually pulled off the card. The newer Aggressor versions can upload pictures, Field Scan pics, and video.

Pros: Image quality is good. Initial low-quality thumbnail is uploaded to account and you can request high resolution versions of just the images that matter. They all go to one centralized account (both website and phone app) which is convenient for tracking multiple cameras. Choice of either AT&T or Verizon networks for best coverage in your area.
    Cons: You do have to pay a monthly subscription for each camera, so be aware of that as an added cost. They can be battery intensive, especially if you are recording video and especially uploading video very often. They also offer a WiFi option if you’ve got something set up close enough to your house or other network.

Here’s a couple sample videos from this year:

Night:

Day:

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

We run a few different ones. Wild game, Muddy, Stealth. They are all ok. My brother picked up a Tactacam Reveal this fall. They are hard to find. Run about $100. They send pics to your phone. Pretty decent pics day and night. Plans are through Verizon or AT & T I think. We have Cellcom service, but they still work. Just a separate bill. Service runs anywhere from 10-13 a month depending on how many cameras and amount of pics and whether you pay monthly or yearly. Couple pic examples.

Attachments:
    1. 4ED00363-3416-407E-AADC-DD0A65D99BD4.png

2. 4E2AC691-07DC-4D36-A29A-DF82B1A1BB11.png

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

What do the Aggressor’s run for cost?

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have been happy with Stealth, just put up a new Fusion with Verizon service last weekend, very easy to set up with their App on your phone. I have a Stealth PX series camera (basic, not cell), 1 is about 1.5yrs old and am happy with it, had another I bought in April, the infrared flash stopped working about 2 months ago, they warrantied it with the new Fusion (upgraded version of what I had – the STC-GXVRW series). Have another off-brand one from Amazon (Eneeko PH730A), works decent as well but had to turn of the side sensors as it too way too many pics of nothing.

Note – I have my cameras on my land for security purposes more than anything as I dont hunt, just want to know if anyone is walkout around on my land

Dan
    Southeast MN

just put up a new Fusion with Verizon service last weekend, very easy to set up with their App on your phone.

I’m planning on getting 2 Moultrie’s soon as Tractor Supply Co. has them on sale. I plan on setting mine up through Verizon but have been wondering-are there additional, monthly costs? Or am I able to connect because I have Verizon and unlimited data? One person I talked to at work thought maybe it’d be a small monthly fee, but after awhile that would add up and a person might as well just buy a nicer camera. How does that all work if you’re connected to a network? Thanks in advance as I’ve been wanting to know this lately.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

I think most have a fee, regardless if you have unlimited data. And we get a lot of pics on ours and our unlimited data slows after so much use. I’ve gone over that amount each month since we’ve had the Tactacam. They do make an extended antenna for the Tactacam I guess, if your cell service is poor where you put the camera.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

What do the Aggressor’s run for cost?

They went on sale for $200 this year, down from $300 so I assume they’re clearing stock before a new model next year. I got mine direct from Bushnell. One bit of advice, they seem sensitive to memory card brand and need Sandisk. I couldn’t get other brands to work right, especially the overwrite function.

I prefer paying for each camera separate from my phone account so it doesn’t crash my phone account data limits as some have mentioned.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I am looking a buying a couple of trail camera’s. Just wondering what people are using for trail camera’s. what brand and model and like and dislikes about the camera’s.

In the Hunting Gear Forum see the thread “BEST TRAIL CAMERA”

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.