What line?

• wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

What line do you guys recommend for rattle reels. Just purchased my first ice house and am installing rattle reels and need to put line on them.
    Thanks

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Rattle reel line.
    I always bought mine at reeds on mille lacs.
    Then tie to swivel and choose your leader…I prefer 10# flouro and a heavy gauge hook… Since hand drags aren’t so good )

I think It is basically fly Line. No worries about tangling!!!

Scott

I buy 20# Dacron fly fishing line, each rattle reel has a different color so it is easier to untangle. Then just like Fish blood use a swivel and flour lead with hook

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Cheap fly line, multiple colors, they have it covered.

zooks

Cheap fly line, multiple colors, they have it covered.

This or vinyl coated tip up line would be my choice.

I don’t care for dacron, cuts into fingers/hands too easily plus it tangles in a heartbeat.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Here’s a picture of mine from years back. I have 6 rattle reels (jingle meters) attached to clamps.

Different colored line like mentioned.

When you go stay at a resort house the rattle reels always suck and line is suspect at best…I unload and clamp on my 6 rattles to the roof, wall, whatever and drop them in. All tuned to work perfect. Setup in minutes.

I’m also attach one to a 5 gal bucket instead of a tip up if I’m punching holes and running around.

I would also clamp one to my 1-man flip over roof as my 2nd line.

Anyway you can see it attached to the pail in the photo

There’s a cheap one in the photo too…I have all wood ones now

Attachments:
    1. full-26433-39435-camerazoom_20131125071848987.jpg

Travis

Vinyl fly line, doesn’t cut your hands up. Multiple rattle reels make life easy on yourself, spool each with different color so when they get tangled you can decipher easier.

Leaders I use a 6 ft 10# fluorocarbon with a #6 gamakatsu hook most generally.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I’ve been using cheap south bend 8# mono for my rattles. Lots of stretch makes up for my frozen fumble fingers.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Here’s a picture of mine from years back. I have 6 rattle reels (jingle meters) attached to clamps.

Different colored line like mentioned.

When you go stay at a resort house the rattle reels always suck and line is suspect at best…I unload and clamp on my 6 rattles to the roof, wall, whatever and drop them in. All tuned to work perfect. Setup in minutes.

I’m also attach one to a 5 gal bucket instead of a tip up if I’m punching holes and running around.

I would also clamp one to my 1-man flip over roof as my 2nd line.

Anyway you can see it attached to the pail in the photo

There’s a cheap one in the photo too…I have all wood ones now

Well gee whiz Andy? From most all your posts, I gathered you never went…or had any interest in ice fishing? Always talking about getting that boat out all winter long. whistling

Anyway, you are correct about this…”When you go stay at a resort house the rattle reels always suck and line is suspect at best.”
    I learned that the hard way last winter. bawling

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Well gee whiz Andy? From most all your posts, I gathered you never went…or had any interest in ice fishing? Always talking about getting that boat out all winter long. whistling

I didn’t always live on the river… Just the past two years bud. Prior…I didn’t boat in winter at all but Ice fished more than most.

There’s no shortage of ice fishing junk in my possession.

DonJulio800
    NULL

I got tired of all the line issues when using rattle reels. What I do now is use my rod line on the rattle reel. Wrap the line around the rattle reel 2-3 times and adjust to proper depth off bottom. Place rod in rod holder with the bail open. When it starts to rattle, remove rod from holder, flip rod tip a couple times to remove from rattle reel and set the hook. No more knotted line to fix in the middle of the night.

bjmiller

I use exclusively Sufix Metered Tip Braid (polyester/Dacron) in 30 lb test. Size covers all species and adds a little more bulk to the spool for better management. It’s colored in 5′ sections which makes depth management a breeze! Depending on fish species targeted I’ll attached various lb tests of Sufix InvisiLine Fluorocarbon leader in 5′ segments to match the colored segments of the braid. Crappie Holidays!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.