What backer are you running for lead and copper???

• Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

The cabin fever is really taken hold and it’s time to do something fishy- Strip and re-spool the salmon reels.
    I am considering switching back to mono backer on some of my lead and copper set-ups. I have one copper with mono already from last year after fishing the Salmon GTG with Nate last summer and like it a lot, hence the thought of changing a few more reels back to mono.
    Larger reels- Daiwa Seagate 60 series- are already on order to accomplish this. What are you running for backer on your lead and copper???

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

50# Tuff line is what I’ve been using.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I use 50 lb power pro for it”s longevity, and small diameter. I can get plenty of backing without using huge reels, and it lasts for many seasons. I’m curious about Joel’s results with the micro lead too.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

I had used 20lb big game for years, but last year switched a lot of rods over to 30# Blood Run HI-VIS mono. Its made specifically for backing copper and leadcore. Things I like about it are:

#1 Hi-VIS, really helps when running multiple boards, in big waves, or have multiple fish on, to keep everything straight.
    #2 Unbelievable breaking strength and abrasion resistance.
    #3 Running mono straight to lead\ copper eliminates the need for a section of mono to clip the board on, as is needed with braid. Less knots= less chances to fail IMO..
    #4 is something that’s hard to quantify, but i really like having a little “give” which the mono provides over braid. When you get a big screamer that runs out a bunch of line, you can really cinch the drag down as you start bringing it back in. IF the fish takes off for another run, the stretch in the mono gives you more time to react.
    #5 Cost. Cheaper than braid, and according to Blood Run, should get several seasons out of it…. That has yet to be seen.

I also PREFER big reels for salmon fishing. As big as I can get and still feels comfortable on the rod and in the hands. Larger spools create much better retrieves for hauling in long coppers and leads. I would not consider being able to use smaller reels an advantage in any way.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joel Ballweg wrote:</div>
    50# Tuff line is what I’ve been using.

How did the micro lead hold up?

I ran the Tuf-line Microlead Core line only on my full core rod. It held up just fine. No issues after one season of salmon fishing.

The 50# Tuff line braid I run is also high vis line which I really like for all the same reasons Nate mentioned concerning high vis mono.

As for no advantage to smaller reels, its all relative I guess to what you call small or large. In my opinion, the Daiwa Sealine SG47 reel is already a pretty good size reel, capable of holding 280yds of 20lb test mono.

I can easily add 900′ of 50# Tuff line braid backing below most of my lead core setups and over 600′ below a full core of Tuff line micro-lead.
    The difference in price to the next size up (Daiwa SG57) is only $20 so nothing huge there. The gain in line capacity is significant as the 57 can hold 430yds of 25lb test mono.

The cost of the line on the other hand could add up. You can generally find great buys on heavy braid in bulk spools at the end of the year when everyone is clearing out old inventory.

30lb bulk Blood Run Tackle High Vis Mono is $47 for 2000yds. Thats not bad at all but its definitely not less than what I paid for my braid and I do not think it will last longer than the braid so you will be replacing the mono more often than the braid.

That doesn’t mean I’m sold on braid being the better choice here. I’m still reading post like this one for a reason. Basically so I can figure out whats best in the long run.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Some good points Joel. One thing I can say about braid is that it “cuts” through wind A LOT better than heavy mono does, but I try not to salmon fish too much on windy days anyways…..

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

That doesn’t mean I’m sold on braid being the better choice here. I’m still reading post like this one for a reason. Basically so I can figure out whats best in the long run.

That’s partly why I started this as well. Any and all input is welcomed.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI
    Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I have been running cabelas 30# braid on everything, except my 200′ 60# copper that I got hooked on last summer, for the last 4 years with out issue. Why did you choose 50#?

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Art, most trollers that use 50lb braid do so because some brands have a similar diameter as 10lb Trilene XT. This means that dive curves that we’ve all used for many years still work which lessens the amount of mental gymnastics a guy needs to do on the water. As you know, people use a variety of other equipment such as Dipsy Divers, that come with their own own dive curves, and are based on 20lb mono.

Line strength, amount of line, abrasion resistance, visibility, longevity and overall value have all been mentioned and are significant factors also – as applied to salmon fishing.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I use the Great Lakes trolling book dive curves and it’s dive curve for braid is based on 30 pound braid- I forget the equivalent in the book- but what I use is based on that, and 30 is plenty strong, including for mag dipsy divers with mag rings, and I can pack tons of line on my reels. I have yet to loose a dipsy or fish due to the 30# failing.

Of course having typed that, I have been running 2 wire dipsy set-ups way more than braid for good reason-they catch more fish for me. I will continue to use braid dipsies when called for, no plan to run mono ever for that!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Strength and reel capacity are why I go with 50.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

For the price you guys are getting that braid, I guess my argument of Mono being less expensive is void…. At that price, considering the longevity of braid, you guys will definitely be coming out ahead. That being said, I still like the way I can fight fish with a mono backer, so I’m gonna stick with it for now. Like you all, I’m always trying to figure out a better mousetrap tho…

@ART

“Of course having typed that, I have been running 2 wire dipsy set-ups way more than braid for good reason-they catch more fish for me. I will continue to use braid dipsies when called for, no plan to run mono ever for that!”

Found this funny Art… over the past couple years, I’ve accumulated most of what I want for big lake fishing. Like you, ive got wire and braid setups for dipsys and ALMOST all of the copper/ lead rods I want.
    So, what are the only setups I’ve purchased this off-season? Yup, you guessed it, MONO dipsys!

Many people consider the old mono dipsy obselete at this point with the advent of super lines and wire, but IMO they still have their place. When fish move shallow, mono dipsys can be HOT. I’ve witnessed it in person and a good buddy of mine caught many of his money making fish for SAR on a mono dipsy last year. Every dog has its day and every rod has it’s place buddy! Now go spend some more money… ;)

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

I have been running cabelas 30# braid on everything, except my 200′ 60# copper that I got hooked on last summer, for the last 4 years with out issue. Why did you choose 50#?

As Steven A. Smith would say, that 60 copper is a BAAAAAAAAAAAD setup!

Love that rod down the chute!

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

So far this winter, I have added a few more copper reels as I want to run some shallower in place of leadcore on days it does not produce as well as the copper, and a couple more staggered lengths in between 200 and 300. Maybe even a 300/ 60# copper! Looking back, the copper lines have put more big fish in the boat than any other set-up I have run the last couple of years.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Power pro 50 lb works well on the big reels like a Penn 330 for 100 yds of lead or copper. You’ll need to drop down to 30 lbs to get enough backing for 5 colors on the smaller down rigger reela like the 310.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.