What Annoys You Most About Ice Fishing

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m serious as a Heart Attack.
    I’m blessed to have a cabin on a beautiful lake with good fishing and very poor access for the average Joe.
    The S x S is always packed and ready to go, He11 I guess the part I hate the most is being lonely out there.
    As for catching fish, that’s just icing on the cake.

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

Cold feet and trash of course. Everything else is good and part of the deal.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’ve thought a lot about this thread since it popped up and didn’t want to duplicate many other answers. So for me I’d say:

Trash (gotta say this one). It stings a lot to know that people who “love” or at least “like” the outdoors treat it this way.

The other, especially early season, would be those who aren’t safe. Early ice when people just want to walk anywhere. Later on when people park anywhere without regard to proximity to others, etc.

The amount of people out there. Lakes are overrun. Especially with rookie type anglers.

Ice fishing isn’t what it used to be. Hard to be on fish by yourself anymore. Not as much fun for me IMO.

**I am guessing old timers said the same about all of us when we started to fish — we were clueless rookies overrunning THEIR lakes.

The Pessimist

1. Loud augers with dull blades.

2. People. Two years ago, my friends and I set up two wheel houses about 40 feet apart on Mille Lacs. We didn’t have another house within a half mile of us. We left to go fish some other parts of the lake. We came back in the afternoon and a group parked their wheel house right between us. Loud people and three dogs that would not leave us alone. To top it off, they drilled holes right next to my house. When I mean right next to the house I am talking about a foot or less. We had a talk with the owner of that house and he said that is how they do it where he is from. He had no shame. We were not on structure, just a huge gravel to mud transition area.

The only reason I have the wheel house is to sleep on the ice. I don’t party, but most of the wheel house people are out to rip it up. I am getting rid of mine and trying to work on more trips to remote places.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I love ice fishing. I hate dealing with people. Seems hard to be alone some times. That’s when we set up the big shack as a distraction and portable fish elsewhere. It’s awesome flying back to the big shack that was alone and now has 12 shacks by it, hooking it up and leaving. All while they thought we were set up in that terrible spot all day

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

All while they thought we were set up in that terrible spot all day

Lmao I remember you posting this last season too. The “decoy” shack.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

im annoyed ice season for me lasts 2 months give or take

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Also I’m annoyed the inland season ends at the end of February, I’d prefer mother nature to decide especially if they kept the permanent house removal day. Some years it ends before the technical end of season, but pretty common you can still get on the ice for quite a while after Feb.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

If I had a heated ice house I would probably complain about the fish bite interrupting me watching TV and drinking beer

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

I find it annoying having to wait for ice season. Are we there yet?

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

People and Iowans

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I can find clear lakes without people within 15 minutes of downtown. You guys need to look for new water if people are the issue.

My only dislike is lack of mobility as Mahto mentioned. Be nice to pull a two man by hand for a single fisherman but almost impossible.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

The day and weekend after Christmas!!!! All the boneheads come out with their new portables/pop up’s with kids, dogs, and atv’s at sunset and set up right next to me. They usually toss a football or frisbee around for 15 minutes then out comes the Atv at prime time. Right at dark they pack up and leave, ruins the whole day.

stevenoak

I fish small private lakes over 95% of the time. Took a buddy to Spirit Lake in Iowa for a few days when his wife died. The trash was disgusting. The guy we fished with said A holes without GPS. Used trash piles to mark a hot spot for the next day. We cleaned up the ones we found.
    Last few years. Not much to dislike about ice fishing. Spend the winter in Florida fishing in shorts.

FryDog62

…. the inability to skip lures or elicit topwater bites ~

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

…. the inability to skip lures or elicit topwater bites ~

Hahaha! So true.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

SLUSH!!!!!! flame flame flame flame

KP
    Hudson, WI

People who think the Ice is a drag strip! Last year on a lake in Western WI some kids were drag racing their trucks against each other. I could not believe how fast they were going and also how dumb they are. People dont realize that you create a wave under the ice when you drive on it.

Deuces

Melting your initials in the snow is pretty fun tho..

matt

Has to be the group that shows up at prime time early ice over shallow water 15 ft away.They allways make a ton of noise setting up.Then instead of just sitting down shutting up and fishing at least one member of the group proceeds to swiss cheese the ice in all directions,not to fish just to check the depth.Ater 20 minutes of that they are back in the shack to fish for 20 minutes before they pack up to go home skunked,and they wonder why.

bigpike

People. I hate people

Chris Swanson

I am annoyed with the surge of people and the lack of etiquette. They will set up right next to you with no worries and this happens during witching hour too. Last winter right as the sun was setting a group of guys came out, set up and then started throwing fire crackers on the ice and I was fishing in 9’ of water. UGH

castle-rock-clown

I Ice fish, but I also snowmobile. I hate it when I’m riding the marked route on the sled and the ice fishermen who set up right next to the trail give me dirty looks as I ride by. I wave at them anyways just to pee them off more. I didn’t know ice fishing gave people the right to own the entire lake for their pleasure.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

When I first started ice fishing, it was the wind that bothered me the most. Now, its “most” of the wheelhouses that bother me more.. I don’t know why, but the wheel house crowd seems to think the “speed limit” on the ice roads are just a recommendation.. flame

Adam Steffes

Mobility bothers me the most. I am getting out of shape pretty bad and I end up only wanting to set up once so I end up just sitting in unproductive water some times because I don’t have an established set of honey holes to sit on.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.